Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it's a bit like cheap UV filters. You buy a $900 body, a $900 lens, and put a $9 piece of glass in the way. :-)

09-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think it's a bit like cheap UV filters. You buy a $900 body, a $900 lens, and put a $9 piece of glass in the way. :-)
Yeah, that is pretty much what I figured, but since it doesn't get between the light and the sensor I thought maybe i could get away with it. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Guess if I decide to go split screen I will have to start saving my pennies
09-30-2014, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by almo Quote
Guess if I decide to go split screen I will have to start saving my pennies
If you like sub f2.8 lenses, Almo, like primes, I think you might find it to be a game changer.

Put the austerity measures on hold for a while!
10-02-2014, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Totally transformed my camera!

Katz Eye Screens are great! I too had one in my K10, Loved it

I know use a screen made out of a Cannon "S-Type" focus screen, which I also love!

Long story short. Get a Katz Eye!!

04-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #20

test of putative medium grade taiwan focusing screen.. focusingscreens.com

This guy tested the Taiwanese focusing screen made for Pentax.. also made for other models. horizontal split image with microprism. They have many different styles. About $85 US, $15 shipping.

Not in this youtube link but in other info they are not as bright as katzeye, ALL focusing screen aftermarket installs affect metering. The one in the video above was pretty much useless after F11. (in what kind of light I might ask) The solution is to to do open aperture focusing or focus in Auto aperture mode of lens? I don't know from this test if it affects spot metering at all. I aver from Katzeye's literature and the thread herein that these screens DO affect metering and this can be a bit..

However the video maker did say it really improved his focus experience and improved accuracy... This might be the pay off.

Cons: dark, affects metering, have to play with shim sets to get focusing accurate.. it seems that not all cameras have micro prism and diagonal split prism available (Nikon K3 style).. have to ask company. Instructions have to be followed carefully. English is conjectural type.

Plus: better manual focus. increased precision fewer bad shots.. major video makers says.. a Model available to fit a plethora of cameras including it seems jut about all Pentax models.
04-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It does affect metering, it made mine better! My M, and K lens's were hopeless with the stock screen. A (S-Type) screen, actually for the first time had them metering correctly.

Playing with shims is easy, just be patient, set a ruler or something you can accurately measure the difference in observation to measured and you will be fine
04-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #22

what's out there.

I guess you can reset exposure compensation whence you find out what the screen does to exposure. +/- button-back wheel is a tad awkward on K50.. but it does work.

The Katzeye I gather, now officially TU, or OoB was the shizzle with the brighter screen and now -- it appears to the Taiwanese choice. i.e. focusingscreen.com

(Few business rescue terms are ever that palatable.. lotsa sharks in that biz and can't say I blame their nature )

c'est domage as the fr. say.

So the burning question iz: who has undeniable quality in manual dead on German quality 45-degree-line large enuff split image with fresnel screen bright enuff focus screen thingie? I guess Taiwan will do but far from perfect for now..

Again I criticize without hands on as I am going on vids and forums and feel..

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by frodobaggins Quote
This guy tested the Taiwanese focusing screen made for Pentax.. also made for other models. horizontal split image with microprism. They have many different styles. About $85 US, $15 shipping.

Focus Screen Unboxing/Installation/Review - Pentax K-r - YouTube

Not in this youtube link but in other info they are not as bright as katzeye, ALL focusing screen aftermarket installs affect metering. The one in the video above was pretty much useless after F11. (in what kind of light I might ask) The solution is to to do open aperture focusing or focus in Auto aperture mode of lens? I don't know from this test if it affects spot metering at all. I aver from Katzeye's literature and the thread herein that these screens DO affect metering and this can be a bit..

However the video maker did say it really improved his focus experience and improved accuracy... This might be the pay off.

Cons: dark, affects metering, have to play with shim sets to get focusing accurate.. it seems that not all cameras have micro prism and diagonal split prism available (Nikon K3 style).. have to ask company. Instructions have to be followed carefully. English is conjectural type.

Plus: better manual focus. increased precision fewer bad shots.. major video makers says.. a Model available to fit a plethora of cameras including it seems jut about all Pentax models.
I have to ask what "it" is. Katzeye or focusingscreen.com ?

i.e. The "it" that made your metering better..

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
It does affect metering, it made mine better! My M, and K lens's were hopeless with the stock screen. A (S-Type) screen, actually for the first time had them metering correctly.

Playing with shims is easy, just be patient, set a ruler or something you can accurately measure the difference in observation to measured and you will be fine
Sorry I see you were speaking about Katzeye, the now defunct, TU, burnt, dead, no longer shipping, don't even bother company..

geez...
04-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #23

For what it's worth, I got one of those $20 eBay split-prism focus screens for my K-3 and haven't had any metering problems. I love it, though I've heard that they may have some QC issues. I've seen at least one of those screens that seemed "off" a bit -- the photographer warned me that to get a tack-sharp image, the top-left component of the screen had to be a bit higher than the bottom-right. That'd drive me crazy, but they were completely used to it. For $20, might be worth a shot?

04-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frodobaggins Quote
So the burning question iz: who has undeniable quality in manual dead on German quality 45-degree-line large enuff split image with fresnel screen bright enuff focus screen thingie?
A few talking points:
  • All center microprism and split-image screens will affect spot metering. This has been true since day one for cameras that support the spot metering feature. Whether other meter modes are affected depends on screen design and the lens mounted. Hint: if the screen is optimized for fast lenses (e.g. Canon-S), there may be (very likely) significant dimming at about f/4 and slower that will affect meter output. You can expect that the effect will not be linear and that EC will not be useful (personal experience).
  • No current source makes their own screens from scratch. All are commercially available product that have been modified to fit other than the original target camera.
  • KatzEye is no longer in the picture, but when their product was available, their line consisted of a single product that was similar to the Nikon K3. Optibrite was applied as a final finishing step and resulted in a visibly brighter screen and also a decrease in focus sensitivity for the matte and Fresnel fields (apparent DOF is wider than on the stock version).
  • To the best of my knowledge, focusingscreen.com is the closest you will find to a regular business that makes screens for Pentax dSLR other than the Pentax-brand product. Their screens are high quality, come well-packaged, and include most required tools.
  • Quality varies with the eBay sellers
  • No seller provides truly usable shims for adjusting calibration
  • You can always make your own screen by cutting down a screen scavenged from a donor camera or purchased at retail. For example, both the Canon S and Nikon K3 are sold by B&H.
I think those points pretty much cover it.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-18-2016 at 01:01 PM.
04-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be aware that the position of the focusing screen may affect focus precison as seen by the screen. For AF you have fine adjustment for most Pentax cameras. For a focusing screen shims are offered to optimize precise focusing. I changed the screen on K5 and had to adjust the screen a lot with shimes (may be ordered from Pentax). The K3 did not require much alignment. As soon as you start thinking about focus adjustment life can get tricky.
04-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #26
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
zzap, are you saying shims can now be ordered again for Pentax (from Ricoh I presume)?
04-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
zzap, are you saying shims can now be ordered again for Pentax (from Ricoh I presume)?
@zapp, have things changed at Ricoh in regards to parts sales?

Steve
04-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #28
Pentaxian

It really isn't that difficult gals and guys. If you are sitting on the fence about it, DO IT!
04-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Be aware that the position of the focusing screen may affect focus precison as seen by the screen.
BTW...the calibration shims are used to adjust calibration (accuracy). Precision is not something we can adjust.

Steve