Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I'm really in awe of peoples abilities to see such fine detail....it inspires me to use more of my time studying images in more detail, to see the trees, rather than the forest.....Till now I’ve been looking at images much too superficially.
But imagine that when you look at one image, you instantly notice thoses oversharpened edges, you imediately spot the lack of color deph and sharpness? And you immediately see the noise of the background? All of this give you instinctively a feel of unatural and low quality.

You can be happy to not see it and not care, but if you see it, you will not want to decrease your vision to just say that there no difference and please everybody. This is not you want to consider the photo as bad quality, this is just you see it as bad quality. No need to spend 2 hours looking at it zoomed 100% You notice that at web size without much effort. And honestly, still the picture here is one of the best 6400 shoot I have seen in long time. Most look far worse.

Don't see it ? Don't care? That's good, I have no problem with that. But this is not my case, maybe unfortunately.

For me it is a little like HDR, many see it as cool and overdo it. Me when I see image with unatural light halo arround objects and strange color I usually don't like it. This can be good for an artistic effect from time to time... Not all the time.

10-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #227
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I'm really in awe of peoples abilities to see such fine detail....
I have to chuckle a little bit. Two nights ago I was watching a program on public television about the history of photography in Oregon. At one point a museum docent was discussing a Robert Adams print and pointed out several details in the photo that are significant to its emotional impact. The camera focused in close and the feature was shown full-screen in HD on my 60" TV. Cool! That is good to see.

It would be my preference (when I am rich and famous) that my important details show as detail and not as blur.

Steve
10-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It would be my preference (when I am rich and famous) that my important details show as detail and not as blur.
I put a post-it to that effect in your file.
10-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #229
Pentaxian

I have to chuckle a little bit. Two nights ago I was watching a program on public television about the history of photography in Oregon. At one point a museum docent was discussing a Robert Adams print and pointed out several details in the photo that are significant to its emotional impact. The camera focused in close and the feature was shown full-screen in HD on my 60" TV. Cool! That is good to see.

Steve
Just let me know when anything on digital approaches the resolution of an 8x10 negative. The close feature was probably capture on a patch of film, as big as 35x24 sensor.

10-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #230
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just let me know when anything on digital approaches the resolution of an 8x10 negative. The close feature was probably capture on a patch of film, as big as 35x24 sensor.
Robert (not Ansel) Adams mostly shoots 35mm (earlier) and medium format (later), but I get your point.

Steve

---------- Post added 10-22-14 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I put a post-it to that effect in your file.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Steve
10-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #231
Pentaxian

What, there was a Robert Adams? Who knew?
10-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #232
Site Supporter

What, there was a Robert Adams? Who knew?
He is just a minor player...couple of Guggenheims, several traveling exhibitions, and 20+ fine art photo books. To be honest with you, I had not heard of him either before about a year ago.

Steve
10-22-2014, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #233
Pentaxian

He is just a minor player...couple of Guggenheims, several traveling exhibitions, and 20+ fine art photo books. To be honest with you, I had not heard of him either before about a year ago.

Steve
Kinda like me, I had a couple of Heinekens. a couple of travelling visits to my mom and a couple of fine art prints... ok so I'm a little more minor than him, but hey... I'm not dead yet.

10-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter

Kinda like me, I had a couple of Heinekens. a couple of travelling visits to my mom and a couple of fine art prints... ok so I'm a little more minor than him, but hey... I'm not dead yet.
10-23-2014, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #235
Loyal Site Supporter

I have high hopes for you Norm, particularly now that you have a 24 megapixel camera.
10-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have high hopes for you Norm, particularly now that you have a 24 megapixel camera.
Man... now I feel the pressure of having to meet other people's expectations... I can feel my stress level going up already..
10-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter

Man... now I feel the pressure of having to meet other people's expectations... I can feel my stress level going up already..
I think another Heineken will help.
10-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to quickly transition to the "Why I Won't Buy a K3" thread and decompress. After reading a few entries your expectations will be back to normal.

...or maybe even a little below normal.
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #239
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
You need to quickly transition to the "Why I Won't Buy a K3" thread and decompress. After reading a few entries your expectations will be back to normal.

...or maybe even a little below normal.
That thread just makes me want to eat Bacon Cheese Burgers...
10-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #240
Pentaxian

K-3 vs K-5IIs resolution

I just received my new to me K-3 and sold the K-5IIs but won`t hand it over until next Tuesday. So if some of you would like to suggest some ideas for a couple of comparison I could do it.
Don`t expect tripod, 10 bracketed images for each camera, etc. I think the rewiew of this forum already covers that.

How about a hand hold, taken seconds apart comparison shots, using shake reduction, keeping composition as equally as possible, lowest ISO for each camera,same Av and equivalent Tv. Using the same lens on both bodies such as F28, DA40 or DA70 which I believe are all quite sharp edge to edge. I`ll look for a high dynamic range scene.

I could go to this place near my house (taken with DA10-17).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo