Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

hard underwater housing for Pentax

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love a hard underwater housing for their beloved pentax, without spending the cost of a canikon.

Bags seem ok for pools, but nothing I'd trust in the ocean.

As a crazy idea, I'm wondering if a smaller camera (k-01?) could fit into a hard housing made for large (canon/nikon) cameras, since they're around for moderately low prices (compared to the $1600-2400 a custom Pentax housing would cost).

Any ideas? I'm currently trying to google if the dimensions are similar enough to another camera that we could use careful foam placement to put the shutter/etc in the right position for something like this to work.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1457286704672417682?client=firefox-a...d=0CMUEEPMCMAQ

09-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #2

Ikelite used to sell a K-5 house which was rated to 200'.
Sadly, it's discontinued.
Ikelite | Underwater Housing for Pentax K-5, K-7 DSLR
09-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with using another model's dive hiusing is that they're specifically crafted to give access to the controls. Even if the dimensions allow your camera to fit, your're unlikely to have it be usable. Frankly, you might be better off with a cheaper small camera and housing, or a waterproof model for moderate depths.

Jim
09-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

How deep are you looking to go?
I had my K-01 in a DiCAPac for eight days while snorkeling at depths up to 15 feet. Not the most convenient solution, but it was cheap and produced good results if you stay within its limits.

10-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been looking at the Outex cases- they're like a dry scuba suit for your camera. They're not made for extreme depths like the expensive hard cases but seem like a definite step up over the usual bag options- easier to get at controls and, most importantly, a glass front port but I've yet to pull the trigger.
10-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dflorez Quote
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love a hard underwater housing for their beloved pentax, without spending the cost of a canikon.

Bags seem ok for pools, but nothing I'd trust in the ocean.

As a crazy idea, I'm wondering if a smaller camera (k-01?) could fit into a hard housing made for large (canon/nikon) cameras, since they're around for moderately low prices (compared to the $1600-2400 a custom Pentax housing would cost).

Any ideas? I'm currently trying to google if the dimensions are similar enough to another camera that we could use careful foam placement to put the shutter/etc in the right position for something like this to work.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1457286704672417682?client=firefox-a...d=0CMUEEPMCMAQ
The K-50 is about the same size as the Canon.
10-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I've been considering the Outex too - I've spoken to several people who seem to be a fan, I'm just scared to use something with soft seals near breaking waves (even Florida's small ones). My other thought is just to find a used housing and a competitor's camera, I'm just too stubborn to at the moment (or until I run out of options).

The ewa-marine/aquapac/digipac/etc sound worthy for still waters up to impressive depths, and some have glass ports, but it's still overpriced ($350-400 to use with a 77mm thread) for essentially a tough bag. I figure if I'm going to spend more than a few hundred, it should be on something I think will last for years, thus looking more specifically at hard cases.

Also, with the Tav mode being so reliable on most cameras, I think if the settings were set before entering the housing, the only button that needs accessing is the shutter - which is why the idea of using a larger camera's housing might be possible. It's just a heavy gamble.
10-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Personally, as much as I prefer shooting with my K-30 over nearly any other non-Pentax, non-SLR, camera, I decided that scuba with my K-30 just wasn't going to happen. I have better places to put that much money for underwater gear.

I have used several Olympus P&S cameras; most even have a built-in scene mode for underwater. While you typically have to purchase them from sources outside the United States, Olympus typically has UW cases for these cameras with a 40m depth pressure rating for under US$150. Right now I am using a Nikon P7100 (used) with a 3rd party (Polaroid) UW case. My total investment is under US$400. The Nikon doesn't have the same built-in white balance tool, but it does have the option of RAW so I can fix things to my liking in post processing.

Something to keep in mind about UW photography.... having the finest glass doesn't get you much unless you are also investing in some pretty pricey lights and shooting macro. Even the clearest water will cause distortion, and let's face it, we are talking about solidified fog. An optical viewfinder is pretty tough to use due to the distance caused by your mask and the UW case. You will pretty much be using the LCD at all times.