Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Why thank you! I'm just learning my way into macro shooting... If the K-3 had a tilting LCD, I think I'd have succumbed by now.
Just want to second the comment - some really great images on your Flickr stream.

10-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm not gonna lie. I'm crazy tempted right now too with these great deals. I have the money available but something keeps telling me to wait till around black Friday although there are some possible jobs coming up that could definitely benefit from the faster AF and burst rates. They're not really a sure thing yet though so for now I guess I'm playing the waiting game.
10-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K3 s a big step up from whatever Pentax camera you have (maybe not 645D or Z),
I was very happy with my K5, and could not imagine that it would be such a big step, I just wanted another body that had good low-light capability (K200 and DS not so good in low light).
I bought the K3+grip+18-135+50/1.8 kit from B&H in January, while today's deals look good, I've had the camera all this year, and been having a blast with it,
It is so much faster and smoother than the K5 at just about everything. Its made my lenses sharper too. I've left the AA filter off, and everything looks crisper.

While I understand the desire to wait for a better deal, having the camera in-hand is priceless, could live without the grip though, Hard call to make,
10-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
Sorry, but the Battery grip doesn't come with an extra battery, you have to purchase that separately. Also, I have been told, but others might know better, but you need to use the same battery type / brand in the grip as you use in the camera if you are using one then the other. So if you purchase a Pentax battery for the K-3, and the grip separately, that is an extra approx. 250 dollars.
Not at all... otherwise, you couldn't use AA batteries in the grip and the Pentax battery in the camera, could you?

Some third party batteries (I'm partial to Wasabi and have them for my K5, my wife's Q, and had them for my Nikon as well) are cheap, well made, and come with a charger that's about 1000 times better than the pentax one. ( i.e., doesn't require a big bulky cord, you flip the blades out and plug it into the wall, but it also has a DC jack so you can hook it up to a power brick or charge it in the car, too. I think I got 2 batteries plus the charger for about $25-30 dollars. And Pentax doesn't jack around like Nikon and some either mtgs and chip their batteries so you have to buy the official brand or the camera won't work, which is nice.

10-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Sipping my coffee, I see the newly posted price drops on the K3. So many choices. Would prefer the 50/1.8 over the flu card, I think.
Would rather order from B&H, all else being equal.

Ultimately, I have to remind myself that I won't have much chance to play with the camera until early November, so there really is no
point purchasing it now. Of course the paranoid voice in my head says "Get It Before They're All Gone!!!!". Fortunately I can still
hear the rational voice as well that says "If anything, the deals will only get sweeter".
The used market for Pentax bodies is flooded with good buys. A friend just picked up a K-3 with less than 7,000 images taken for under $700 with a grip and 2 batteries. Right now I wouldn't buy new.