Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K3, so tempting..

Sipping my coffee, I see the newly posted price drops on the K3. So many choices. Would prefer the 50/1.8 over the flu card, I think.
Would rather order from B&H, all else being equal.

Ultimately, I have to remind myself that I won't have much chance to play with the camera until early November, so there really is no
point purchasing it now. Of course the paranoid voice in my head says "Get It Before They're All Gone!!!!". Fortunately I can still
hear the rational voice as well that says "If anything, the deals will only get sweeter".

10-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There hasn't been a better time to buy a new K-3. I bought mine 3 months ago and although I had a K-5iis I'm really happy with the K-3. Take the plunge, you won't regret it. (don't forget the extended warranty)
10-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just came back from a documentary photography workshop feeling like I want to have two camera bodies for certain shoots, so that I can switch between a camera equipped with a nice prime and one equipped with a more versatile zoom. But that would take my CBA and LBA to a whole new level.
10-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go on - give in to temptation. I did !

Even given the current lousy exchange rate on the Canadian dollar, and the taxes I have to pay at the border, it was just too good to resist.

I'm just pretending that Xmas came early....

Fred.

10-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

The deals are too tempting but confusing in that if I buy I'm not sure which package I would want via which vendor (Adorama vs BH)...flu card??? lens???? flash???
B&H's deal w/ the flu card and grip and add the flash???? Then again, do I really want a K-3 or should I just add to my Panasonic gear and get a GX-7 which has also dropped in price with some packages offering a $100 gift card. How low will the K-3 go? AND why does the price keep dropping? Is Ricoh going to pull a rabbit out of its Pentax hat and surprise all of us?
10-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just wonder, will the prices be even lower at the upcoming "gift season"?
10-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've also been sitting on my hands trying to resist - not sure if I can! But if you really need help here's some reading:

- 10 Tips on How to Cure Yourself of GAS
- F$%K GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Also, I try to remember that for the price of even a discounted K-3, I could get myself a new tripod, a Raynox 202, a DA 55-300mm and a 512gb SSD - all things I've been thinking about - and still have a few hundred more left in my pockets than if I'd bought a K-3...

10-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Go with the lens. You can flip it for $130, get a flu card, and have some coffee money left over.
10-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I've also been sitting on my hands trying to resist - not sure if I can! But if you really need help here's some reading:

- 10 Tips on How to Cure Yourself of GAS
- F$%K GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Also, I try to remember that for the price of even a discounted K-3, I could get myself a new tripod, a Raynox 202, a DA 55-300mm and a 512gb SSD - all things I've been thinking about - and still have a few hundred more left in my pockets than if I'd bought a K-3...
Looking at your flickr stream I really don't think you need any other gear. Awesome stuff!
10-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am borrowing a K5II-s while my K3 is off for mirror flap adjustment. The K5II-s is a *fine* camera.

If you are upgrading on a budget, there are some killer K5 deals out there right now.
10-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Go with the lens. You can flip it for $130, get a flu card, and have some coffee money left over.
That does seem to be the better deal, no doubt. I don't have an AF fast 50 and of the two, it would be cheaper to add the FLU than
the lens after the fact. Were it that I could get the FLU and 50 rather than the battery grip. I don't see much desire to use the grip,
though it will at least provide another backup battery, (I'm assuming it comes with a battery...).

Still have the dilemma of time. I really need to be productive with my clay art as I have two shows fast approaching. The K3 would
either sit idle for a month of prove to be a naughty diversion.

On the other hand, I will be documenting all the work as it comes out of the kiln; it would be nice to shoot that with the K3....
10-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #12

Sorry, but the Battery grip doesn't come with an extra battery, you have to purchase that separately. Also, I have been told, but others might know better, but you need to use the same battery type / brand in the grip as you use in the camera if you are using one then the other. So if you purchase a Pentax battery for the K-3, and the grip separately, that is an extra approx. 250 dollars.
10-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

..Black Friday is coming up in another 7 weeks. Deals on stuff usually occur a week or two before...just sayin'
10-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote

Still have the dilemma of time. I really need to be productive with my clay art as I have two shows fast approaching. The K3 would
either sit idle for a month of prove to be a naughty diversion.

On the other hand, I will be documenting all the work as it comes out of the kiln; it would be nice to shoot that with the K3....
K3 prices will only get lower.
10-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looking at your flickr stream I really don't think you need any other gear. Awesome stuff!
Why thank you! I'm just learning my way into macro shooting... If the K-3 had a tilting LCD, I think I'd have succumbed by now.