Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10d-debug menu-IR possible?

Kicking around the forums the other day and I found mention that it is now possible to get into the K10d's debug menu.

Then I remember a thread about how somebody was making IR ready K100d's. There was something in that thread about getting into the debug menu to, if I am not misremembering, adjust something so the settings would allow you to shoot handheld IR shots and still use the viewfinder to focus. Somebody replied to this with something like "Well, since you cant get into the K10's (or possibly K100d Supers's) debug menu then you cant use one of those for IR".

So my question is....if we can get into our K10d's debug menu can we now set up our cameras to do IR photography?

IR is something I would really like to get into and my plan is to invest in a K20d down the road and I would like to make my K10 my IR body.

Can anybody give any input on this?

Bokeh

05-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If you want to make the K10 your IR body, you will need to have someone, remove the IR blocking filter from the sensor. There is a company that does this for Nikon LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification & Scratched Sensor Repair, but not aware of anyone who modifies Pentax unfortunately. I have a *ISTD as well as a Ds and a K10D any of which could be modified. I have been tempted to experiment with the ISTD just not quite game.

Karen
05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #3

There was a thread about IR filter removal a few days ago... (but with a DS)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/26956-ir-filter-removal.html
05-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokeh Quote
Kicking around the forums the other day and I found mention that it is now possible to get into the K10d's debug menu.

Then I remember a thread about how somebody was making IR ready K100d's. There was something in that thread about getting into the debug menu to, if I am not misremembering, adjust something so the settings would allow you to shoot handheld IR shots and still use the viewfinder to focus. Somebody replied to this with something like "Well, since you cant get into the K10's (or possibly K100d Supers's) debug menu then you cant use one of those for IR".

So my question is....if we can get into our K10d's debug menu can we now set up our cameras to do IR photography?

IR is something I would really like to get into and my plan is to invest in a K20d down the road and I would like to make my K10 my IR body.

Can anybody give any input on this?

Bokeh
What they do is they replace the IR filter with one that filters out visible light, that way the sensor is as sensitive to IR as it was to visible light. That way you can shoot handheld and use the viewfinder, as there is no need for an IR dark filter in front of the lens.

The debug menu might be related to adjusting focus because of the new filter and consequent difference in distance between it and the lens.

Or, you probably could make the K10D IR-only, but it is less sensitive than the K100D and will probably cost you way more to do it.

05-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
What they do is they replace the IR filter with one that filters out visible light, that way the sensor is as sensitive to IR as it was to visible light. That way you can shoot handheld and use the viewfinder, as there is no need for an IR dark filter in front of the lens...snip.
Actually, there remains a use for the dark red IR filters in front of the lens when shooting with an IR-modded DSLR: the different on-lens IR filters pass different IR wavelengths, which can enable some "tuning" of the range of tonalities that will result in prints or other final versions of the files.

Consult your filter manufacturer(s) of choice to see what wavelengths is passed/blocked by each of their IR offerings. Some of the galleries/websites put up by IR enthusiasts are also helpful in visualizing what you might get from your combination.
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have contacted Lifepixel a number of times, and they have NO plans to do Pentax IR conversions.

I use my istD and D1 for IR work. My K10D and D200 require long exposures and the istD and D1 do not.

One Hoya R72 filter at 67mm. If i set the iso high, i can get hand holdable shutter speeds.

Dave
05-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you search this forum you can find my tale of removing the filter from my K110D. I did it for astrophotography but it does make a great IR camera. I can shoot 1/1000 second in daylight with a Hoya 720 on the lens. I can't see a thing through the viewfinder, but I can use the preview shutter to see the scene on the LCD.