Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Upgrading from an *ist DL

I want to upgrade from my *ist DL to a k10d. I've made a list of pro's for each camera to convince myself that it's worth it

*ist DL good stuff:
-small
-light

k10d good stuff:
10mp
shake reduction
ISO 100, 1/2 or 1/3 stops
TAv mode
Sv mode
USER mode
2 exposure wheels
compatible w/ new SDM lenses
faster processing (right?)
dust reduction
weather seals
better IQ
11-pt AF
better exposure metering
RAW button
in-camera editing (at least more than what the *ist DL has to offer!)
hyper-program mode

did I forget anything?

last but certainly not least, the k10d is said to trigger 360 and 540 flashes wirelessly? it's optical slave, right? not radio or IR or anything?

05-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, you are right, the K10D is more advanced than istDL. I think your list is missing the pentaprism vs pentamirror :-)

Is there something you can't do with your istDL? Just asking because I have istDL and was thinking of upgrading to K10D but decided not to. For my casual photography hobby, the istDL is more than enough. I rarely use other mode than Av (sometimes M), shake reduction would be nice but I can just bump the ISO, 2 wheels are not that important if you are using Av mode, 11 point AF not needed as I have my camera setup to use just central point anyway (isDL only has 3 points), in-camera editing never used as Photoshop is way more advanced. After all these considerations, I have decided to keep the istDL and just invest money in new lenses. That's why I have purchased Sigma 17-70mm.