Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-01 has a primary color filter?

Hi All!

Recently I went to dpreview.com to read reviews about a few older models of pentax dslrs and came across that of a K-01. While going through the specs I found out the k-01 sensor has a primary color filter in place of a regular anti aliasing filter. I want to know whether this is similar to the ones used in bodies like the Fuji x series and the E-M5. My understanding is primary color filters by being 'weak' tend to give you sharper images (at risk of a little moire in some cases) and improved color. My query is whether the K-01 has a similar filter like this one which gives you sharper images or is it an inferior one?

10-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
No idea, but the filter infront of the sensor inside the K-01 is weaker then K-5 or K-50 and does give a little more sharpness in the image.
10-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aruk5 Quote
Hi All!

Recently I went to dpreview.com to read reviews about a few older models of pentax dslrs and came across that of a K-01. While going through the specs I found out the k-01 sensor has a primary color filter in place of a regular anti aliasing filter. I want to know whether this is similar to the ones used in bodies like the Fuji x series and the E-M5. My understanding is primary color filters by being 'weak' tend to give you sharper images (at risk of a little moire in some cases) and improved color. My query is whether the K-01 has a similar filter like this one which gives you sharper images or is it an inferior one?
A primary color filter and an anti-aliasing filter are completely different things.
10-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No idea, but the filter infront of the sensor inside the K-01 is weaker then K-5 or K-50 and does give a little more sharpness in the image.
Interesting, where is this information?
I have the K-01 and K-50, not seen any sharpness difference when using the same lens..

10-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I have the K-01 and K-50, not seen any sharpness difference when using the same lens..
I believe the K-01, K-30, and K-50 share the same sensor & AA filter, its the K-5 which is slightly softer due to a stronger AA filter.
10-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Um, there were some threads about this back when the K-01 came out and people compared it against the K-5.
The K-01 sensor is "the same" 16MP as K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-30, K-50, K-500. But the K-5IIs doesn't have an AA filter (also called low pass filter). To my knowledge, the K-01 either has a weaker AA filter or is missing it altogether (I think the official sources were vague). I think the K-01 was sort of an experiment, Pentax seeing if they could get away without an AA filter and how it would affect live view and CD AF. The test worked, so they issued the K-5IIs, which became incredibly popular, outshining the other K-5 series. These days, many brands are experimenting AA-less sensors, but usually only high MP cameras (because at low MP, you need it)
Primary colour filter is another thing, which has to do with the bayer configuration. All colour CMOS-type sensors have this, which includes most cameras on the market. Notable exceptions are the Sigma foveon-sensor cameras and the Leica Monokrom. Digital sensors have a couple filters on there.
10-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the K-01 and the K-30, using both quite extensively. While I assumed that the sensors were identical, I also have sensed a slight edge in both sharpness and color fidelity with the K-01. I discounted that perception based on my tendency to use the K-01 in more critical, deliberate shooting situations and typically with faster prime lenses. Shooting with the K-01 feels a bit more solid - a strictly psychological aspect.

DXOmark tested sensors on all three bodies (including the K-50), and the differences were within margin of error. Only the K-50 was tested with lenses, so no full comparison is available. With lenses, the K-50 is very close to the K-3 and K5iis in sharpness, and these three are all quite some distance ahead of other Pentax models with AAs that had been tested with lenses (such as the K5 and K5ii).

It would be interesting to know if there is any difference regarding the K-01. My best guess its unlikely.

10-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Um, there were some threads about this back when the K-01 came out and people compared it against the K-5.
The K-01 sensor is "the same" 16MP as K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-30, K-50, K-500. But the K-5IIs doesn't have an AA filter (also called low pass filter). To my knowledge, the K-01 either has a weaker AA filter or is missing it altogether (I think the official sources were vague). I think the K-01 was sort of an experiment, Pentax seeing if they could get away without an AA filter and how it would affect live view and CD AF. The test worked, so they issued the K-5IIs, which became incredibly popular, outshining the other K-5 series. These days, many brands are experimenting AA-less sensors, but usually only high MP cameras (because at low MP, you need it)
Primary colour filter is another thing, which has to do with the bayer configuration. All colour CMOS-type sensors have this, which includes most cameras on the market. Notable exceptions are the Sigma foveon-sensor cameras and the Leica Monokrom. Digital sensors have a couple filters on there.
The 16MP sensor in the non-K5 cameras outputs 12-bit RAW, whereas the K-5 series has 14-bit RAW, so the sensors are slightly different.