Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why are in-camera JPEGs so huge?

When I process the RAW files in Lightroom and then export them, it's rare an image goes over 8MB. Everything straight from the camera is 9-12 MB. Why is there such a huge disparity?

Noise reduction is obviously a huge difference maker (as mosquito noise crushes JPEG), but I don't apply that to all images. Even clean ones seem to be much, much smaller.

10-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good question. Do you export as sRGB? Do you have the jpeg quality slider at 90% (I think it's the default)? Some guesses.
10-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use Adobe RGB (in Photoshop), not sure what in Lightroom. Quality is set to 100%.
10-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Perhaps different compression schemes are used by each product? Have you read Jeffrey Friedl's analysis of LR's jpeg exporting capabilities?

M

10-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
When I process the RAW files in Lightroom and then export them, it's rare an image goes over 8MB. Everything straight from the camera is 9-12 MB. Why is there such a huge disparity?

Noise reduction is obviously a huge difference maker (as mosquito noise crushes JPEG), but I don't apply that to all images. Even clean ones seem to be much, much smaller.
Some Pentax cameras have **** JPEG quality in addition to ***. Stick to 3 stars if that's the case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Food for thought, usually Pentax camera raw or dng photos are anywhere from 9-14 bits data with zero to very little compression depending on what model of camera one is using, meaning a larger file size. Camera Jpeg mostly are 8 bits of data and smaller than raw to start with. If you are working in Lightroom or photoshop etc. from a raw file using Pro photo RGB, which is one of the widest color gamuts, then converting to jpeg the files have information tossed and compressed into a smaller 8 bit file vs exporting using Tiff or PSD hence a much smaller file size. I do need to mention if your workflow is in 32 or 16 bit color, then your conversion to jpeg tosses some of that color information also reducing it to 8 bit color, however you would not visually notice any difference outside of possible banding.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-06-2014 at 05:39 AM.
10-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Some Pentax cameras have **** JPEG quality in addition to ***. Stick to 3 stars if that's the case.
Why *** instead of ****? Is there not a difference in image quality?
10-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Because its more physical size, computer screens compress images to make them fit, if you look in PS at the image and look at actual size and fit screen you will see that , but I think you know that, the point is you can take the lowest MP and star rating and the highest and using fit screen they will look the same , but try actual pixels or ( if you have calibrated correctly) print size then you will see the difference.

10-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
In the K-5 series bodies at least, there is ****, but I quickly found that there was little to gain from the lower compression (higher quality) setting, so I just set it at *** for both my K-5 and K-5 IIs. Theoretically, the lower compression ratio of **** should give better IQ, but I found that I couldn't distiguish them after pixel peeping both for about a week's shooting in the field, so after that, I "settled" for the higher compression setting, and have found no reason to change this after shooting both for a couple of years. BTW, I'm primarily a jpeg shooter (birds).

Apparently Pentax engineers felt the same, and on the K-3 set the highest quality jpeg compression back to ***, which I assume is approx. the same compression ratio as the *** on the K-5.

BTW (2) I also tried the ** setting, and immediately noticed jpeg artifacts, so I never use that much compression in the cameras.

Scott
10-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for that, nice detailed answer backed up with personal experience. I'll try the *** rating (although I mostly shoot raw, it will help speed up my camera in raw+ mode)
10-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The other thing that could make a difference is any noise removal you are adding can reduce image size. Noise can add to the file size and reduce the efficiency of the compression ratio.