Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Phil Askey Pentax K10D Review

If anyone is wondering what started the buzz, here is a copy of the post I made on the Pentax SLR section of DP Reviews:

No offense to Phil. As a pro photographer for over twenty five years and being published in everything from Elle to L'Officel and Tank to Oyster as well as shooting the "Swarovsky" world campaign, I find Phil's exposé of the Pentax K10D rather unjustified to say the least.

I was sponsored by Canon last year and was chosen by them as one of their two photographers of the year here in France last year. I should also say that I am a Canadian based here in Paris.

Why this lengthly diatribe. Well as of last week, I switch from Canon to Pentax and am now officially sponsored by Pentax. Why did I switch? Pentax are one of the few camera manufacturers with really big ears. I have used the 645 and 6x7 versions for years and have always appreciated the quality of their lenses.

Ever since Pentax have affiliated themselves with Samsung and most recently Hoya-Tokina, they now have a very well rounded and solid base for competing with the top two. As a result of this partnership, Pentax will be able to eventually develop their own sensors, without relying on third party companies for their technology. I will use their 645D when it comes out when necessary. For all intent and purposes the K10D will suffice for most of my needs. Magazines are generally 27.5 x 21 cm. Ten million pixels are no problem. I have had some of my images blown up to 3x5 meters. These were images specifically printed for the Fourth Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes. These were shot with a Canon 20D. I will be using the K10D for a Fashion Editorial for a UK magazine. It will be 12 to 14 pages. I am more than confident that the K10D will be up to the challenge. I will shoot in DNG raw as usual.

The point of all of this is that Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Samsung,Sony etc can all do a good job if you know what your final support is going to be. It comes down to the ergonomics as well of the application for which you are using the camera. I chose the Pentax for it's ergonomics as well as image quality. I also chose Pentax for where it will be going in the future. With the 31 million pixel 645 as well as having the capacity to develop independently of third party manufacturers for there DSLR's, I decided to give them a shot, no pun intended.

I will be using two bodies two grips. I will also use the 12-24, 16-45, 21, 40, 70 and 100 macro. They will provide the 16-50 and 50-135 when it comes out in March.

The K10D is one of the best DSLR's on the market at this time at any price point.

You may view some of my published work at the following sites:

http://anashcreation.com/...shgallery/BenjaminKanarek
http://www.pressbook.com/...ue_id=2&owner_id=5144
http://www.olaphoto.com/zoom/benjamin-kanarek.php
http://www.uk.lumas.com/?...artist=616&motiv=1617

--
Benjamin

Last edited by benjikan; 02-18-2007 at 06:06 AM.
01-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That will do it.

You "called Phil out" and pointed out that a camera company besides Canon is capable of producing excellent cameras and lenses. Then you posted links to your portfolio that contained "somewhat" revealing photos of women and Phil banned you.

If this post was Phil's justification for banning you then it just makes me even more frustrated with DPreview than I already have been over the last year.

Phil will probably visit this forum, read our negative comments and then ban everyone on this forum from his forums next.
01-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think we have a word for this...

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
That will do it.

You "called Phil out" and pointed out that a camera company besides Canon is capable of producing excellent cameras and lenses. Then you posted links to your portfolio that contained "somewhat" revealing photos of women and Phil banned you.

If this post was Phil's justification for banning you then it just makes me even more frustrated with DPreview than I already have been over the last year.

Phil will probably visit this forum, read our negative comments and then ban everyone on this forum from his forums next.
Me thinks there is a word for this type of behavior...Hmmm let me think...Ah...OK I know what it is...I'll save it for a rainy day when it can be used with greater effect.

And that day will come...sure enough.

A dish best eaten COLD!
01-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #4

Ben:
It looks like uncle Phil nuked you back to the Stone Age! I couldn't even find the article by Godfrey about your sharpening technique he'd just posted when I did a search over there!
Having been there in technology as a computer network engineer for years, I know the dangers one faces when on the "Bleeding Edge", even if—in this case— it's that of a rebellion against blindly following the canikon cult! Keep the faith, welcome to this site and PLEASE don't get discouraged at sharing your vast expertise with us greenhorns!
Rob

01-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Greehorns? I doubt it...

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Ben:
It looks like uncle Phil nuked you back to the Stone Age! I couldn't even find the article by Godfrey about your sharpening technique he'd just posted when I did a search over there!
Having been there in technology as a computer network engineer for years, I know the dangers one faces when on the "Bleeding Edge", even if—in this case— it's that of a rebellion against blindly following the canikon cult! Keep the faith, welcome to this site and PLEASE don't get discouraged at sharing your vast expertise with us greenhorns!
Rob

Thanks for the kind words..Do you want me to re-post my work flow? Or did you get it?
01-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you should post it here in the Photo Tips and Techniques section and Mo... put a big fat sticky on the post
01-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Workflow

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I think you should post it here in the Photo Tips and Techniques section and Mo... put a big fat sticky on the post
I just posted it in the technique section...

Thanks

01-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I saw the technique posted on the Pentax Life website. I tried it and was very pleased with the results. I also tried the layer technique as well but honestly did not see a difference in addition to the multi USM trick. What exactly is that supposed to add to the end result?

Walt
01-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Layer Technique

QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
I saw the technique posted on the Pentax Life website. I tried it and was very pleased with the results. I also tried the layer technique as well but honestly did not see a difference in addition to the multi USM trick. What exactly is that supposed to add to the end result?

Walt
Please tell me what you are doing? Because once you go to "Soft Light" the change is extreme and radical to the eye. I mean it is sooooo obvious. That is why I reduce the fill and opacity to a level that is not so extreme. I.e. High High Contrast MAX....I will lower to about 20-20 to 50-50 and higher if the image isn't too contrasty. Y

That is why I think that you may have left out a step.
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ben
All I can say is that if it means you post more of your expertise here, then, I for one am glad. DPR's loss is our gain. Thank you for posting your techniques, and thank you for being helpful. I, for one am grateful. To be truthful, I am happier here than over at DPR where I have found certain behavior to be exceedingly childish (and I'm not talking about the regular posters on the pentax forum)

NaCl(besides, Phil is a big old meany face )H2O
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #11

I still like to lurke at DP...

But I have noticed there is a HUGE double standard about Cannon and Nikon users can post what they want, the rest like Pentaxians.. can not

Pentax is still a good company to me, I have been enjoying my K100D since I bought it, although the weather has kepted me from shooting as much as I like. The South Dakota winds in cold artic air sucks.

I have a K10D on the way now, and I expect even more enjoyment from that body also.

But I have learned there is a "Cannon" and "Nikon" bias in the web and in the magazines. Some of the Cannon fans are radical to the extreme. Nikon too has its radical supporters also.

In the magazines, the promised full reviews of Pentax K10D are pushed aside to show items such as the Nikon D40. Ironic that a 6 Megapixel camera is highlighted, something the magazines complained about the K100D when they published their reviews of that camera.

benjikan I think you hit a nerve. It had to be done and I salute you for it
01-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks..

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitanis Quote
I still like to lurke at DP...

But I have noticed there is a HUGE double standard about Cannon and Nikon users can post what they want, the rest like Pentaxians.. can not

Pentax is still a good company to me, I have been enjoying my K100D since I bought it, although the weather has kepted me from shooting as much as I like. The South Dakota winds in cold artic air sucks.

I have a K10D on the way now, and I expect even more enjoyment from that body also.

But I have learned there is a "Cannon" and "Nikon" bias in the web and in the magazines. Some of the Cannon fans are radical to the extreme. Nikon too has its radical supporters also.

In the magazines, the promised full reviews of Pentax K10D are pushed aside to show items such as the Nikon D40. Ironic that a 6 Megapixel camera is highlighted, something the magazines complained about the K100D when they published their reviews of that camera.

benjikan I think you hit a nerve. It had to be done and I salute you for it
All of this is rather overwhelming. I really didn't expect this kind of explosion when I responded to the Mr.Askeys review. It was just my point of view. I really enjoy the build quality of this camera and if this is the precedent that Pentax are setting for the future, it is a good one to say the least.

I'm getting my 12-24 and the new 21 tomorrow sent to me by Pentax. Looking forward to using them for my up and coming shoots.

Best Wishes
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-01-2007 at 04:33 PM.
01-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #13

Yes - That figurine is sure revealing!! BAD!

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
All of this is rather overwhelming. I really didn't expect this kind of explosion when I respnded to the Mr.Askeys review. It was just my point of view.
Ben
Yes, and I agree with you Ben, it was a fair critique and the reaction was a bit excessive, but it is their loss. I was enjoying your professional input to that site, and watched and viewed your posts and creative examples you generously gave us access to. A real bonus to amateurs like myself to be able to talk to a demonstrated professional.

It is hard to soar like an eagle when you sometimes have to fly with turkeys.

I sure am enjoying my K10D.

Phil
Attached Images

01-30-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your Landscape

Now that is a magnificent image...Bravo!
01-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Yes, and I agree with you Ben, it was a fair critique and the reaction was a bit excessive, but it is their loss. I was enjoying your professional input to that site, and watched and viewed your posts and creative examples you generously gave us access to. A real bonus to amateurs like myself to be able to talk to a demonstrated professional.

It is hard to soar like an eagle when you sometimes have to fly with turkeys.

I sure am enjoying my K10D.

Phil
Hi Phil,
familiar looking bit of road.
Any interest in touching base with a view to catching up out there one day?
Grant