Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K100d Flash question

I just bought a K100d...YEAH!! but the pop-up flash doesn't work... BOO!
What can I do? What kind of flash will fit the Hot Shoe, (reasonably priced...cheap)or can this be fixed?
Anyone else had this problem? Anyone have an extra flash that they don't need?
Thanks!

05-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
nah

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure the flash mode isn't in manual? If you press the flash button on the top left of the body, does the flash pop?

I just recently bought the Metz 48 after reading great reviews about it, and the reviews were right. Great unit.
05-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
actually.. I JUST bought it off of ebay and haven't gotten it yet. Probably Monday. But, that's the first thing that I'll check. They just said that it quit working. Wouldn't that be great if that is what's wrong!! I'm so excited to get the camera, I sort of jumped the gun on trying to fix it. Will let you know. Thanks alot!!
05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you got it cheap, you could get it serviced. Sometimes it's just the bulb that needs changing.

05-17-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I hope the on-board flash works - if not, there are a ton of options: First: Pentax flashes: I have 3 AF 360 FGZs. They work well in tandem in P-TTL (I have to use on on-board as a control or master, 2 off camera in wireless). I got one off of ebay (in pretty much mint condition) for $112 including shipping. You have to be patient though. A new one is about $180 last I checked (Amazon Marketplace, B&H, Adorama)

I also picked up some older Sunpaks - camera is in manual flash mode, and the flash is either in thyristor (auto) or manual mode. No P-TTL, but very inexpensive - just make sure the flash trigger voltage is low (<8 volts). The Sunpak 383 is also a very solid flash (new for about $80) but again, no P-TTL.

I heard great things about the Metz flashes. I have never used one.

Hope it helps!
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I put the flash on Auto, it pops up, but no "flash". I tried it on Manual, same thing. The flash icon shows in the viewfinder. Is there somewhere I can have it checked, like Ritz Cameras? or will I have to send it off? Should I spend the $$$ or go for the bigger one? And will it work on the hot shoe since the other one doesn't fire?
05-21-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you plan on getting creative with your lighting, you might as well invest into a genuine Pentax flash unit. Or at least a Metz.

Try visiting your local camera shop and stick a flash unit on your camera, and test to see if the flash fires. If it does, then your on-board went BOOM.
05-21-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If on board is dead, but the shoe works then try changing the flash bulb, gotta be cheaper than an shoe flash...

05-21-2008, 04:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That was also my train of thought.
05-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm going to take it to Ritz Camera and have them look at it. I think you both are right about the blub because everything else seems to work fine... just no "flash". I hope they can put a new one in. Thanks alot for your input.
05-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #11

Check around you might luck out like I did. Went to crags list last Friday and by Tues. morning I'am the broad owiner of a Metz 50 MZ-5 and a 76MZ-5 for 550.00 shipping total. Never seen a cleaner light off a flesh. Lucky A-Hole Me