Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #1

K100d shutter problem?

Hello everyone! First post here and new to the world of dSLRs.

I recently purchased a K100D super from eBay after much debate. Supposedly it was very close to new - and it certainly looks it. However a couple of times shortly after turning it on it will get "stuck" shooting. The LCD panel clears other than the picture countdown and continuous shutter mode and ANY button press (including the thumbwheel) causes the shutter to click (but no picture is taken).

After a random number of actuations or typically if I turn it off and back on it will clear itself up and work fine until it randomly happens again...

Any ideas? I tried the search function but it didn't turn up anything as I'm not sure what to search on...

Do I just have some setting somewhere turned on that should be off? I've emailed Pentax about it (and the previous owner to see if it ever happened to them - could certainly be a result of shipping I suppose).

Thanks
-Chris

05-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had a K100D for the last year and never experienced this (or any) problem. I do not recall seeing this issue before on the forums.
05-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure this is related, but I had an experience with my *istD where the camera went into continuois shoot mode.

In reality, since no perminant harm was done, I can look back and laugh at this, but at the time, well.....

I was out kayaking, and had my *istD in a dry bag to keep the water out. I had just put it into the bag, and had not yet closed the top, when a big wave came over the side of the kayak and partially swamped the boat. I discovered that although the dry bag was intended to keep water out, if water got in, it stayed in.

I pulled my *istD out of the bag somewhat dripping wet, and noticed water in the top LCD display. The camera also went ito continuous shoot mode, and I had to pull the batteries to turn it off because the switch did not turn the camera off any more.

When I got back to camp, I inspected the camera closely and came to the conclusion that water entered the camera through the shutter release / power switch area.

I put the camera upside down, in the sun for 4 hours, and let it dry.

That was in June 2004. The camera has worked flawlessly since, although I occasionally will pack it with a bag of silica gell just to make sure it stays dry.

In short, I would almost bet you have either a moisture problem in the area of the on/off switch, or perhaps a faulty switch.
05-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

In short, I would almost bet you have either a moisture problem in the area of the on/off switch, or perhaps a faulty switch.

Hmmm it does seem to happen after it has sat unused for a while - I was just trying to take a lot of shots to see if it would happen and no luck. I may put it in a ziplock with some silica gel.

Thanks for the idea!