Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #1

K20D exposure metering accuracy

Anyone can compare Nikon D200 exposure metering with K20D/K10D?
Here is old comparison Nikon vs Canon Comparison: Nikon D200, D80, D70, D50, D40, Canon 5D and XTi

Anyone real life experience with these systems can comment ?

Andrew

05-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrews Quote
Anyone can compare Nikon D200 exposure metering with K20D/K10D?
Here is old comparison Nikon vs Canon Comparison: Nikon D200, D80, D70, D50, D40, Canon 5D and XTi

Anyone real life experience with these systems can comment ?

Andrew
I have experience with a Nikon D200 against my 5D, to be used to shoot in the same situation, and also the D200 against my K100, using at the same situation also.

I found that the metering and exposure accuracy of the D200 and the 5D is comparable, quite good although not perfect. They will have exposure off somehow but the errors are small.

The exposure errors of the Pentax is the largest, as usual, mostly underexposed under bright sunlight outdoor. But yet, over exposure can also be found, but not rarely, for some more tricky lighting scenes.

As Ken Rockwell commented on th LCD quality, I would also say something on these. I bet Rockwell commented based on his quick impression quite much, but not using the cameras for a longer time and for more pictures under more different situations.

What I found that the LCD of Pentax DSLRs are bright and contrasty. But they are not accurate in color but somehow all of the Pentax DSLRs I have had are having a blueish tendency and the contrast is too high that highlights and shadows are lost on the screens.

As for 5D's LCD, it is a little bit warmer but the grey scale is actually accurate. So, it looks somehow dull owing to its lower contrast. But it is far more reliable.

I found that the LCD of the D200 is the best, anyway. But then I do not own a D200 myself and have not long enough experience to compare all three brands. The LCD of D300 is surely impressive to me which I have only used once for the camera.

I did more systematic experiments in comparing the exposure accuracy of my *ist D, DS and the Canon 300D, you can go to my homepage to read though in more details if interested.
05-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #3

I disagree with RiceHigh. I find my 5D to be just as inaccurate in exposure as my K100 and K10D were. They all always underexpose by almost a stop or so. I find the LCDs of all also inaccurate as far as color rendition and exposure go. I can't comment on the Nikons though, sorry.
05-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leya216 Quote
I disagree with RiceHigh. I find my 5D to be just as inaccurate in exposure as my K100 and K10D were. They all always underexpose by almost a stop or so. I find the LCDs of all also inaccurate as far as color rendition and exposure go. I can't comment on the Nikons though, sorry.
What output device(s) do you compare to as far as correct exposure is concerned? Or, by judging on histograms?