Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #1

manual lens focus question

hello guys,

I got my first DSLR, the K100D super, 2 days ago and I really like it! weee!

I want to purchase some manual lens since they are waaay cheaper

ok, so the question is, when using manual focus with my kit lens 18-55mm I noticed that I get a red dot and a beep when the object is in focus. (at least that's what I think it is ), will manual lenses do the same thing as well?

oh and also, what type of lenses will work for my k100d w/o needing an adapter?
thank you!!!!

05-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The little red dot just indicates which sensor is being used for focus.

The beep, which some people find annoying, is a focus indication which can be turned on or off with the custom settings.

Focus confirmation visually in the viewfinder is a green hexagon at the bottom of the view finder.

Note for manual focus (and you may also be manual apature) you should set the custom function to "Use Apature Ring" so that you can use lenses without an A position.

Also, for manual focus you might want to get a split image focusing screen.
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Will you still get the red dot and beep when an object is in focus? Yes, with a few conditions. First, those options must be enabled (which they obviously are, since you're seeing them in AF mode). Also, you must have good light, good enough that the AF would focus pretty much instantly. If not, you'd have to hold focus in one place long enough for it to realize that it's focused.

What type of lenses will work? Almost anything. As far as I know, ANY Pentax-branded K-mount lens will work, as well as many from other brands. But beware the Ricoh pin!
05-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The red dot simply says which of the 11 focus points is in use. The beep indicates focus has been reached. The green hexagon is simultaneous with the beep.

However, there is one more trick to your Pentax - snap-in-focus. Set the camera body to AF.S (single). Now the camera will only fire when the focus detector detects correct focus. I use this all the time with my 100mm f/4 M series macro lens. Your camera will still detect focus, but you can hold the shutter release down and slowly move the camera to obtain focus. You can also use this system to pre-focus on something, such as a race finish line, and just follow a runner with the center focus point (the only one in use with a manual lens) and the camera will take the shot at the precise moment the runner crosses the line.

I have no interest whatsoever in an AF macro lens, particularly when I discovered with my DA* lenses, that even if the lens is set to MF with the camera set to AF.S, the camera thinks you have switched it to MF, and will take the shot as soon as you press the release. Bummer.

05-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

and if your MF is taking too long, you may have to tap shutter or keep it half pressed or keep OK button pressed (depends how is your AF set) to keep metering and focusing sensor on. Otherwise it'll switch off after 10sec and won't indicate anything.
05-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The easiest manual lenses to use are the ones with the "A" on the aperture ring. My first suggestion would be to get a SMC A-50/2. Generally, you can pick them up for under $50. It's a good lens for the money.

Another "A" type lens that you might consider would be a Vivitar 28/2.8, which can also be had cheaply. Here's a BIN special on Fleabay:
SMC PENTAX-A TYPE 28mm F 2.8 LENS FOR K-10,K-100 - eBay (item 380026344132 end time Jun-08-08 18:29:03 PDT)

Also, keep an eye on the Marketplace for good deals. Whether you're looking at a lens on the marketplace or Fleabay and you're not sure whether or not it's an "A" type lens, be sure to ask, as sometimes sellers don't think to take a pic with a good view of the aperture ring.

HTH,
Heather
05-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Also, for manual focus you might want to get a split image focusing screen.
Hi Lowell,

Any suggestions as to the best type of split image focussing screen e.g. brand etc. Is it a simple task to change out the original one or is this best left to a tech?

Finding I am manually focussing on more shots that previously. Thanks
05-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
Hi Lowell,

Any suggestions as to the best type of split image focussing screen e.g. brand etc. Is it a simple task to change out the original one or is this best left to a tech?
There is a thread on this subject.

05-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #9

Thanks Mike, very informative. I must get into the habit of doing a search before asking questions . . .some people never learn . . doh!
05-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The above installation guide is for k100d.

Here is another guide for k10d or k20d.
05-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
thanks for the replies!

I should now start looking for good inexpensive manual lenses to buy =]

I was reading the lens database in this site, and got a lot of information on what lenses to look out for

thanks again! =]
05-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
Hi Lowell,

Finding I am manually focussing on more shots that previously. Thanks
the best reputation, also most expensive I believe is Katz Eye.

I would prefer, and I know I have seen some, with diagonal split as opposed to horizontal split of KatzEye.

As far as change out time, the first time I changed one took about 10 minutes, after that about 2 minutes ought to do it.

I have not bought one yet myself (only swapped screens between my *istD and K10D to prove a point on metering). I would love to try one, but I have heard that they disturbe spot metering which I use a lot.

Ultimately I will get one, just not ready to jump yet.