Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Um... lack of info. Is that measuring sharpness, CA, or ?
Are the scales the same
Norm, are you trolling us?

Steve

10-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
What the graphs do say, however, is that each sensor (and the in-camera processor) has its own attributes and absolute comparisons between systems are not useful. The most that can be said about lens A on sensor X if that if it is good, bad or indifferent, it is likely to be roughly similar on sensor Y.
Apart from the fact that they are both as noted the 31 ltd. done on different sensors.... and you're right, it was totally a comment on the utility of test sites, and why when the guy says "only draw conclusions for the sensor tested" you might want to believe him. But thanks all for joining in the fun.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 08:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Norm, are you trolling us?

Steve
Worse than that, I'm trolling and making a point at the same time... come on, that was funny.

But mostly I was just looking for a laugh. You guys are good.

But I gotta be sneakier next time...

Last edited by normhead; 10-10-2014 at 05:40 PM.
10-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Worse than that, I'm trolling and making a point at the same time... come on, that was funny.
I am attempting to imagine Foghorn Leghorn with a Canuck accent...

"Thats a JOKE boy!"

Steve
10-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would be happy with either considering they are results from the basically* same lens. You can toll the others norm, but you can't troll me.

*within the allowances of manufacturing tolerances there is always some variation.

10-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photozone is honest in that Klaus tests one copy of a lens. He tells you whose copy it is and if it doesn't seem to measure up (is decentered, etc) he will try to get a different copy. Obviously in this case, part of the difference is due to different copies and part is due to the difference between the K5 and K10 sensors. The difference in the FA 43 between his K10 test and K5 test is pretty astounding. I have to think he got a bad copy for the K5 test, because the border performance was abysmal.
10-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Both test results show a lens performing decently even wide open, and with good, even resolution from edge to centre. What's not to like?

The issue about sample variation is a valid one though. Unfortunately not every tester has the capabilities of Roger Cicala from Lens Rentals, who can test 20 or 30 copies of the same model lens.
10-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I would be happy with either considering they are results from the basically* same lens. You can toll the others norm, but you can't troll me.

*within the allowances of manufacturing tolerances there is always some variation.
I would never try and troll you... it would be a waste of time... I was hoping you didn't turn up..

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Photozone is honest in that Klaus tests one copy of a lens. He tells you whose copy it is and if it doesn't seem to measure up (is decentered, etc) he will try to get a different copy. Obviously in this case, part of the difference is due to different copies and part is due to the difference between the K5 and K10 sensors. The difference in the FA 43 between his K10 test and K5 test is pretty astounding. I have to think he got a bad copy for the K5 test, because the border performance was abysmal.
I think it's important to note that one test of one lens, is often better than no tests of the lens, but not always.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Both test results show a lens performing decently even wide open, and with good, even resolution from edge to centre. What's not to like?

The issue about sample variation is a valid one though. Unfortunately not every tester has the capabilities of Roger Cicala from Lens Rentals, who can test 20 or 30 copies of the same model lens.
That's unfortunate... it would almost be worth our while to start a fund to pay the Lens Rentals guys to do this type of testing. After all, who else has the lenses in the numbers they do?

10-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I bet that FA31 would perform wonderfully on a K-S1.
Hey - good idea. If I want to use hyperfocal in M Mode for a night shot I can light up the LED's to see the lens markings.
10-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

What a bunch of camera nerds. Clearly, and without remorse, one would pick the graph on the left because it has more colors and is prettier!!
10-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What a bunch of camera nerds. Clearly, and without remorse, one would pick the graph on the left because it has more colors and is prettier!!
Don't laugh, two women won our NFL playoff pool, based on two criteria, How pretty the teams uniforms were, and which team's player hard superior derriere's showed off in their tight uniforms.

I was on of those guys with graphs, charts and every imaginable stat going, who lost to those two.

Sometimes the person who goes for the pretty colours an other shallow criteria comes out on top.