Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
What lenses were on the cameras on that video?
No lenses - the object was to compare the shutter sound of the three against each other so only a body cap was used.

10-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
No lenses - the object was to compare the shutter sound of the three against each other so only a body cap was used.
Ok, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the video!
10-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'll definitely consider those options. Having never shot the k5 or k3, is the shutter quiet enough for wildlife use?
Most of my shots are wildlife or birding and they pay no attention to my k-3 my k-50 while not super loud has attracted attention a couple of times but hard to say if it was the camera or me
10-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

With hummers, the only birds i need to get really close to, it's the head bob to look in the view finder that gets them, not the beep or shutter click. But I've had moose 50 yards away spooked by the shutter click, deep in the bush. A lot depends on what they're used to.

10-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With hummers, the only birds i need to get really close to, it's the head bob to look in the view finder that gets them, not the beep or shutter click. But I've had moose 50 yards away spooked by the shutter click, deep in the bush. A lot depends on what they're used to.

Was that moose with a k3?
10-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Was that moose with a k3?
probably a K-5, but when things are really still, it's amazing how good their hearing is.
11-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #22
Forum Member

grab a K5iis bro

11-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now that the sale price ended on the K5IIs, the K50 is looking pretty good again.
11-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Alright guys, I wanted a new camera before the winter season, but my job plans didn't pan out as they were supposed to (funding, new business setup delays, etc) so I can't start work until next week instead of the late August date that was originally planned. As a result of this, I don't have enough saved up for a k3 and WR glass yet.

That being said, would it be a better decision to go ahead and buy a K-5 now, or just save up? I would like the added features of the K3, such as dual card support, more megapixels, etc, but the extra res does come at a cost with space and raw processing requirements. One of my biggest reasons to upgrade from my K-x before winter was using the it for wildlife shots while hunting. I've read that the weather sealed models are supposed to be much quieter than my Kx, which I definitely could not use while hunting without scaring the game off if in close proximity.

If I came across a great deal on a used k5iis, I would like that because it doesn't have the AA filter, but given the standard price differences between it and the k3, I think I would probably rather spend the extra on the k3 in comparison. But the standard K5 is pretty reasonable used, so I would like input from k5/k3 owners as to whether it would be better to get a k5 to use then get a k3 down the road? If so, sell the Kx now while value is higher, or keep it until I get the k3 to have two bodies?
If you are not in a rush mode, you can wait for the coming of Thanksgiving since you had already delayed for 3 months! Last year, I jumped into a deal that K5II + 18-135 with $800. In this year, I can imagine deals like K5IIs for $500, K5IIs + 18-135 + grip for $800 or K3 + 18-135mm For $900. Just wait one more month and get the most decent deal!
11-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hello, !

What you want is silence and remote shutter support. In all honesty a used K5/K30 should cost a very low price (apparently you don't have that much money for now) and would do what you want. Because they are already at a quite low price, you could resell them again without loosing too much in 1-2 years.

The K5-IIs is going to loose more value... and is still not the final objective that the K3 is. This allow you to cencentrate more on the lenses you want.

The things you are going to miss compared to K5-IIs is just better AF in low light. To K3 you add much better AF in all conditions and more crop capabilities. Couting you have good enough lenses.

For know still, a used K5/K30 for a small price is better for your case
11-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #26
Forum Member

losing value doesn't mean losing appreciation, there will still be people prefer k5iis since maybe FF is around the block
11-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe hold out for the 5IIs to drop closer to the holidays. I'm betting it does as that's my next camera and I passed up the deal that ended on Oct. 31.
11-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simon6z Quote
losing value doesn't mean losing appreciation, there will still be people prefer k5iis since maybe FF is around the block
Of course but K3 is the goal, not K5-IIs... And money is a problem... So why spend more in the short term to get something that is not what you really want in the end?

Just get what is really necessary as temporary solution for a very low price, because you can... You spend less money today as money is a problem and if you sell your K5 in one year and buy a K3 then it will quite affordable, maybe the price of K5-IIs now.
11-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, since this thread just got revived, I'll chime in again.

Thanks to everyone for your support! Due to a very unexpected turn of events, I'm going to be getting reimbursed for a decent amount of school expenditures from a few years back, so right now, I'm just waiting for black friday/cyber Monday to pull the trigger on a K3.

Also, in another unexpected turn of events, I got a job offer to be an event photographer on the side for a company that supplies all of the kit, so I may end up shooting Canikon a bit for work, but no worries guys, I'm still a Pentaxian! I won't be leaving such a good brand!
11-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well, since this thread just got revived, I'll chime in again.

Thanks to everyone for your support! Due to a very unexpected turn of events, I'm going to be getting reimbursed for a decent amount of school expenditures from a few years back, so right now, I'm just waiting for black friday/cyber Monday to pull the trigger on a K3.

Also, in another unexpected turn of events, I got a job offer to be an event photographer on the side for a company that supplies all of the kit, so I may end up shooting Canikon a bit for work, but no worries guys, I'm still a Pentaxian! I won't be leaving such a good brand!
Congratulations on your new job! No matter what equipments or what brands you will use, you have grew as a Pentaxian