Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Looking for a new camera...

Alright guys, I wanted a new camera before the winter season, but my job plans didn't pan out as they were supposed to (funding, new business setup delays, etc) so I can't start work until next week instead of the late August date that was originally planned. As a result of this, I don't have enough saved up for a k3 and WR glass yet.

That being said, would it be a better decision to go ahead and buy a K-5 now, or just save up? I would like the added features of the K3, such as dual card support, more megapixels, etc, but the extra res does come at a cost with space and raw processing requirements. One of my biggest reasons to upgrade from my K-x before winter was using the it for wildlife shots while hunting. I've read that the weather sealed models are supposed to be much quieter than my Kx, which I definitely could not use while hunting without scaring the game off if in close proximity.

If I came across a great deal on a used k5iis, I would like that because it doesn't have the AA filter, but given the standard price differences between it and the k3, I think I would probably rather spend the extra on the k3 in comparison. But the standard K5 is pretty reasonable used, so I would like input from k5/k3 owners as to whether it would be better to get a k5 to use then get a k3 down the road? If so, sell the Kx now while value is higher, or keep it until I get the k3 to have two bodies?

10-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What lenses do you own?
10-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 II-series can focus to -3EV and will be more sensitive when autofocusing with fast lenses (f/2.8 or wider). If that describes your needs, the original K-5 might not be as good a fit, and the gap between those K-5 models and the K-3 could tell you to keep saving. Otherwise the K-5 will do excellent work, and its shutter is quiet like the more recent WR bodies.
10-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
What lenses do you own?
So far just the kit 18-55, a tamron 18-250 Di-II, and a sigma A series 28-200 manual. I will need to get a WR to go with the camera and plan to buy more lenses (current plans are to get primes next) in the future. I know glass before bodies is a good strategy, but for what I like to do, the quiet shutter and rear IR sensor for remote would be a major improvement over the Kx.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 10:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The K-5 II-series can focus to -3EV and will be more sensitive when autofocusing with fast lenses (f/2.8 or wider). If that describes your needs, the original K-5 might not be as good a fit, and the gap between those K-5 models and the K-3 could tell you to keep saving. Otherwise the K-5 will do excellent work, and its shutter is quiet like the more recent WR bodies.
Yes, I meant to ask about the AF, because I know that module was greatly upgraded in the gen 2 k5. Like I said, k3 is the goal, but I didn't know if it would be worth it to get the k5 as a step in between.

10-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
So far just the kit 18-55, a tamron 18-250 Di-II, and a sigma A series 28-200 manual. I will need to get a WR to go with the camera and plan to buy more lenses (current plans are to get primes next) in the future. I know glass before bodies is a good strategy, but for what I like to do, the quiet shutter and rear IR sensor for remote would be a major improvement over the Kx.
So you are satisfied with the results of those lenses? They aren`t really a big deal to want to invest so much in a new body. I guess you work with a tripod if you need rear IR sensor?
10-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I like long exposures and playing around with an R72 filter.

I haven't been displeased with those lenses by any means. I know that decent primes will be sharper/faster/etc, but for my purposes (mostly landscapes), they've served me well. The 18-250 is just a general purpose lens for when I only want to take one.

I understand that a new body won't perform to its fullest without better glass, but that's why I was debating getting one of the mid range models as a stepping stone until I can get more money and better glass. I suppose the k-30 is always an option as well if I am mainly looking for the quiet shutter for right now, but it has no rear IR sensor nor the dynamic range of the k5.

Last edited by willskywalker93; 10-10-2014 at 09:27 PM.
10-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Then you don`t need super AF or much more resolution. You have lot`s of options. The cheapest one would be a K-01. Excelent quality and goes for U$200. If you like the K5 series go for a classic one (MK1) I`ve seen them as low as U$340 here in the marketplace. If you want new, the K-50 is goinf for U$ 400 I think. You can skip the K-5II as it`s the same sensor as K-30/50 and K-5 series. You can wait for the K-3 to go lower or skip it and see what comes next.
10-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. While the k01 would be quiet being mirrorless, I'm not sure how I would like the lack of a viewfinder. I'll look into that option a little more.

10-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you can hold out for the k-3 get it I had issues with my k-50 and still ended up with the k-3 I fear my k-50 won't get touched again not because it's not a great camera but the k-3 really is that good. As for the weather seal yes wr lenses are great but if out in the snow grab a dicapak to use your current lenses in until you can extend into the wr range. It is a little cumbersome but worth the trouble and then if you go out in boats etc you have a little protection if dropped overboard. K-50 is a little noisy in comparison to the k-3 regardless of what lens. That is my thoughts and experience with both of those cameras. I let price originally decide and size but still ended up with th k-3 wish I had of just got the k-3 maybe a payment plan might get you to where you want to go........
10-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll definitely consider those options. Having never shot the k5 or k3, is the shutter quiet enough for wildlife use?
10-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter

The K-5 is very quiet, our cat tolerates it decently up close and he thinks he's 'wildlife' I have not used a K-3 but it's even quieter; Pentax invented and patented a shutter-dampening mechanism which probably helps explain the 200k shutter life.
10-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm... Interesting. The extended shutter life is a factor I have not considered. Does it pad the mirror slap as well?

Last edited by willskywalker93; 10-11-2014 at 10:01 AM.
10-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Go ahead and get the K-3. It is z much better camera in the end and it is very quiet. There tons of new features on the K-3 that are not necessary advertised. You get the K5II and will regret it later and buy a K-3 anyhow.
10-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

As for shutter noise the k-30 is just as loud as your k-x.
K-5 is quietest, followed by K-3.
I did a video.
10-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What lenses were on the cameras on that video?