Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #1

Radical departure?

I just waded through multiple posts on "what Pentax should do?" and similar topics. It's only natural that a forum such as this
is dominated by loyal fans, faithful customers and plain fanatics, but - like it or not - in the DSLR/ILC camera market Pentax h as under two percent (2%) market share and that doesn't translate to that many customers. You can bitch about lack of a full frame
offering, moan about limited lens selection, complain about non-existent marketing and invisible customer support til the cows come home, but until Pentax makes some radical changes, things won't be different and market share won't increase.

Now here's a suggestion. We've seen interchangeable lens cameras for years, watched a fairly stable range of lens offerings appear and seen incremental changes of a f-stop here and a few millimeters plus or minus there hailed as new "breakthrough" products and after the yawn, so what? Pentax could break new ground with an IMC - an interchangeable mount camera. Instead
of a single, often proprietary, lens mount restricting you to a single lens "family" why not make the mount variable. It's done,
to better or worse degrees, now with mount "adapters" but they offer variable quality. With an adapter specifically engineered for the camera body, you'd expect better and consistent images.

There was a start in this direction when Ricoh made a M mount module available for one of their cameras. Pentax, with it's
in body stabilization approach, would be an excellent company to introduce this concept to DSLRs. Of course it would potentially impact the sales of new lenses - but with 2% of the market it wouldn't hurt too badly cause you're not getting the sales anyway. It could attract photographers who are hoarding away old manual lenses and be an excellent teaching tool for new photographers.

Obviously it would be a "manual" only offering, but could offer aperature priority automation. The M42, K, FD, AI(s) mounts would be a good place to start, each being a separate "interface" to the camera body, and sold separately. The price point would have to be "reasonable", but it should be much easier to manufacture and support than some of the current offerings.

10-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Jungle!
10-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dickgrafixstop Quote
dominated by loyal fans, faithful customers and plain fanatics,
Sorry to disappoint you but I think you are confused. There are no loyal fans, faithful customers or fanatics, (plain or otherwise), on this forum. There is however an excellent collection of anti-Pentax trolls, whiners, disappointed old customers, and self-appointed expert wannabees. Oh, and I'm here too

Not sure I understand what you are talking about re interchangeable mount. Something like the Sony a7 series with mount adapters? Or a completely exchangeable sensor module like in the Ricoh GXR? If just the mount, well Sony is already doing that with a FF camera for better or worse. It would require Pentax to build a short registration distance camera with adapters to older, legacy mounts without a native mount.
The only thing missing would be a completely new short registration mount with a modern interface. Which many here would assume would mean the end of k-mount except as legacy through adapter to the new mount. I'm not sure that is not the future especially if you consider moving to MILC. Sony is paving the way there.
10-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Well Dick, Thanks for your input however I think maybe you might want to research slightly further the market share to get your information correct. If you mean Pentax h as Pentax/Hoya where the 2% dslr market share was, well it is now Ricoh/Pentax and the market share for dslr is I believe slightly higher than 5% and the MILC around 10% and I do believe also a member in good standing has a AF multi mount conversion kit available for some other mounts to be used with some Pentax models..

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-13-2014 at 04:40 AM.