Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aruk5 Quote
Dont know if you already took a decision to buy the K50 but here's my opinion. As far as I am concerned the K-x is still a very good camera though it came out 5 years ago. If it works fine and gives you no problems use it.

and if printing on a large sheet is your reason for upgrading rest assured the k-x will give you good prints. dont go by megapixel myth that more megapixel means sharper higher resolution prints. if that be true lots of compacts which come out with 20 or 24 megapixels should in theory give you better prints in large size. in good old days when aps-c sensor based dslrs newly came out most had resolutions below 6 mp but they were able to take out larger prints and the reason was the sensors had great pixel density which ensure tonnes of detail got captured even in a low resolution and when printed not much detail was lost! Its said 6mp is the maximum resolution possible to be captured using an aps-s sensor but what camera manufacturers started doing was to implement complex interpolation algorithms and try increase resolution to 10, 12,16 ans 20 mp. as they realised to sell new cameras bigger the megapixel better it will sell

so dont assume just because the k50 has 4 mp extra resolution it will be in anyway superior to the k-x is concerned as far as IQ is concerned. It might ofcourse be superior to the k-x in other aspects such as faster af, full hd video, extra feature sets but if its these things which matter upgrade but if its iq you can stick to the k-x

and may i also suggest consider buying some used manual lenses of pentax such as the 50mm f1.7 or 1.4. they dont cost much and trust me the pics you will clicke with them will be far superior to ones you get with the kit lens or the superzoom you have with you.
HI Aruk:
Thanks for your comments. I actually had placed an order for a K50 but because of comments like yours in this thread I cancelled the order next day. As mentioned above, I am now waiting delivery of a Pentax M100mm/f4 lens that I found on ebay for $125, free delivery. This is very highly rated in these Forums and macro pictures taken with this lens are much sharper than close-ups taken with my Pentax 28-250 mm. I think it wise to keep my Kx since it does almost everything I need very well.

10-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
of course