Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I just re-read my post and I didn't see where I addressed the K200D at all. I was just addressing Rice's comment that the K20D is somehow not a refined product.
that is his opinion. and depending on what you want out of a camera, perhaps he is right.

05-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ste-Anne des Plaines, Qc., Canada
Posts: 2,014
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the K200D cant beat the K10D in performence because they use the same sensor!
They may use the same sensor, but the electronics might be different with improved noise reduction. The sensor is a useless piece of junk without the electronics that process the information.
05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #18
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 29
GOOSHIN states "the K200D cant beat the K10D in performence because they use the same sensor"

What does that have to do with new chips,tweaking of existing chips ,tweaking the sensor,and other upgrades that thek200 has over the k10 ? Kind of a ridiculous statement , especially with all the known problems the k10d has had, and the k200d has adressed. The noise improvement has already been documented by a few reviews,let alone the jpeg problems,focusing issues,and WB problems with the k10d. But somehow you've managed to state that the k200 couldn't have better performance.
05-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #19
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 29
Flyer ; I was writing mine, the same time you were writing yours !

05-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by roro Quote
GOOSHIN states "the K200D cant beat the K10D in performence because they use the same sensor"

What does that have to do with new chips,tweaking of existing chips ,tweaking the sensor,and other upgrades that thek200 has over the k10 ? Kind of a ridiculous statement , especially with all the known problems the k10d has had, and the k200d has adressed. The noise improvement has already been documented by a few reviews,let alone the jpeg problems,focusing issues,and WB problems with the k10d. But somehow you've managed to state that the k200 couldn't have better performance.
depends what you consider perfromence,

if you gave me a K10D and a K200D i will provide you with indistinguishable set of pictures.


(also, i shoot RAW, and dont really care much for ANY in camera raw converter, the back focusing issue is simply miscommunication between the camera and the lens, also this "white balance" issue is easily fixed by carrying around a napkin or something.. or, shoot raw!)

Last edited by Gooshin; 05-16-2008 at 10:21 AM.
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
They may use the same sensor, but the electronics might be different with improved noise reduction. The sensor is a useless piece of junk without the electronics that process the information.
the electronics are as useless as junk without a sensor to collect the information
05-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
somehow i missed the memo of Pentax giving out a report detailing an improvement to the inner workings of the K200D with regards to using imput data from the their CCD over the algorithms in the K10D that have resulted in improved image quality

can someone please link me that offical report? i'll gladly retract my comments.
05-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #23
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 29
That's why they issue new models, with new and improved electronics in every electronic product on the earth, and don't issue statements to people like you, who can't figure that out.

"depends what you consider perfromence "

Apparently anything or anyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong. Live in your little "pro
k10 " world , and make ridiculous remarks like "also, i shoot RAW, and dont really care much for ANY in camera raw converter, the back focusing issue is simply miscommunication between the camera and the lens
also this "white balance" issue is easily fixed by carrying around a napkin or something.. or, shoot raw!
No offence but ;
If you don't have an valid response, it's better to not show your ignorance.

05-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by roro Quote
That's why they issue new models, with new and improved electronics in every electronic product on the earth, and don't issue statements to people like you, who can't figure that out.

"depends what you consider perfromence "

Apparently anything or anyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong. Live in your little "pro
k10 " world , and make ridiculous remarks like "also, i shoot RAW, and dont really care much for ANY in camera raw converter, the back focusing issue is simply miscommunication between the camera and the lens
also this "white balance" issue is easily fixed by carrying around a napkin or something.. or, shoot raw!
No offence but ;
If you don't have an valid response, it's better to not show your ignorance.
i'm not pro K10D, i would take the K100D or K20D over it anyday.

and so what you're really saying is that you ASSUME that Pentax has upgraded their image processing algorithms in the K200D?
05-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
OKAY i apologize everyone, it turns out that the out of camera JPEGS are of slight better quality!


but i dont shoot in JPEG! so there, i'm technically still right.

considering i would prefer Adobe converting the raw file into JPEG for me rather than something inside our little camera, and i would also trust Noise Ninja with noise reduction, again, rather than someinething inside the camera

but if you want to pay a premium for something you probably already have installed on your computer... go right ahead

until the cost of a K200D matches a K10D it is my opinion that a K10D is the better deal here.

Last edited by Gooshin; 05-16-2008 at 11:28 AM.
05-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 379
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
until the cost of a K200D matches a K10D it is my opinion that a K10D is the better deal here.
Unless you prefer AA batteries, the slightly smaller size and weight, and the new anti-dust system, as well as the possible improvements to the autofocus system as mentioned in this thread: Girls Soccer Take 3: DA*50-135 and K200D (9 IMGs): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
So I've been talking myself into upgrading to the K20D (from the K100D) but lately I'm thinking the K200D makes more sense. It bumps me to 10MP v. 6 for the K100, adds a sealed body, dust removal, RAW+jpeg, and a few additional goodies I would use (like the RGB histogram display).

And its about half the cost of the K20D. The 20D would get me 4 more MP, live view, and a low quality burst mode, but also a bit heavier to cart around. The MP alone aren't worth the price, live view is nice but something I would rarely use (and a right angle viewfinder adapter can be had for a lot less than $600), and ditto for the burst mode. The two wheels people talk about are nice, but I'm used to the single wheel on the 100D and it does the same thing as the 2 on the 10D/20D. The 20D is a great camera for sure, but I'm having second thoughts about whether its worth the price.

So now I'm thinking grab a 200D, keep the 100D as a backup, and put the savings towards a 50-135 f/2.8 instead. Reminds me of when I upgraded to the LX way back when. A great camera, to be sure, and I loved using it, but I still missed the MX I upgraded from. Did 80% of what the LX could do, in a lighter weight package.

So tell me, what am I missing?
The K200D would be a great choice. The improvements are substantial. 10 MP is more than enough for most applications.

Ben
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Unless you prefer AA batteries, the slightly smaller size and weight, and the new anti-dust system, as well as the possible improvements to the autofocus system as mentioned in this thread: Girls Soccer Take 3: DA*50-135 and K200D (9 IMGs): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
you can always try the K100D Super
05-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NorCal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 146
Original Poster
I've been away for a couple days and come back to find loads of good advice, pro and con. Thanks.

Hadn't heard about the 400 ISO hiccup before. Even with that, I'm leaning more strongly to the K200 and some new glass over the K20. I have not seen the K10 cheaper than the K200; B&H has the 200 body for $629, and I haven't seen a new 10D lower than that. Depending on the end use of the pics, I'll shoot RAW or jpeg, probably a 50/50 split at the moment. So even with a small savings on the K10, I'd probably still opt for the 200 over it.
05-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 417
Even I am leaning towards your thought process EstimatedEyes..people here are sreaming their lungs out to buy K10D but not a single major site has K10D cheaper than K200D...looks like Pentax has taken the K10D's off the shelf..Smart guys!
IMHO just like the K100D was positioned price wise to eat into the D40s and XTi's of the world..i m hoping (nah praying!) the K200D stoops down to the USD 470 range (Body only)...on 21st April 2008 the body only K200D was USD 660. Today its USD 629....Extending that it will reach the USD 470 range only 5 months from now which happens to be Sept 2008...
"Chuckles...NOOOOO"
Damn it..i m gonna buy one tomorrow :-)

Last edited by danny09; 05-20-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
100d, burst, camera, dslr, k20d, lx, mode, mp, photography, price, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about selling K20D and buying D300s foots Pentax DSLR Discussion 42 03-22-2010 06:01 PM
Thinking: Selling 2x K10D's and buying a K20D "or" K-7 cps_goodbuy Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 03-20-2010 06:46 PM
from k200d to k20d.. that is the ???? dcmsox2004 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 09-26-2009 11:22 AM
Thinking of purchasing a new K20D BigCTM Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 07-12-2009 09:15 AM
k200d or k20d? Help! kenhreed Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 05-26-2009 02:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top