Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amihoch Quote
Monochrome, whoever you are, you obviously do not know anything about customer service. And from what you said, , it sound like you are with Ricoh. If that is the case, and that is how the officers at Ricoh think, that is very unfortunate.
Of course Ricoh wants to fix your camera - get real. You have to do your part, though - which is send it back to Precision.

One of the reasons many companies really hate dealing with Americans is this 'customer is always right' sense of self-important entitlement we have. As I wrote before, you had bad luck to have a problem during the transition period. Sometimes things just don't go the way we want. C.R.I.S. is likely at fault, if you've been reading these threads. Randall S. is the Customer Service person at Ricoh who can fix this for you. John C. and Jim M. and Ricoh Japan can't do anything to help. It isn't their job to do.

Whoever you are, you obviously don't know anything about me. I have no affiliation whatsoever with Pentax, Ricoh (or any other camera company. Do you?)

Ricoh has outsourced this customer service function along with most other corporate functions. You can appeal to Ricoh all you want. It will still be outsourced. Your problem resolution is with Precision, which is where you should apply your efforts (perhaps with the help of Randall S.), since Ricoh does not have any repair department.
QuoteOriginally posted by amihoch Quote
And. actually my K-3 is still under the Pentax Factory Warranty, so why should I be concerned about a warranty from Precision Camera that will expire before my K-3 warranty runs out. Every manufacturer is required to stand behind their warranty. If they have delegated that responsibility to a third party company who cannot properly make repairs, that is on Pentax (or should I say, Ricoh), and Ricoh needs to be accountable. If not, this is one customer who will sell all his Pentax equipment and look for a more responsible manufacturer, one who values its customers, not ignores them.
Sounds to me as if you know what to do, and that's OK if that's what you need to do. Ricoh is as Ricoh does. It is what it is. We own Pentax.

Deal with Precision.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-13-2014 at 11:08 AM.
10-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course Ricoh wants to fix your camera - get real. You have to do your part, though - which is send it back to Precision.

One of the reasons many companies really hate dealing with Americans is this 'customer is always right' sense of self-important entitlement we have. As I wrote before, you had bad luck to have a problem during the transition period. Sometimes things just don't go the way we want. C.R.I.S. is likely at fault, if you've been reading these threads. Randall S. is the Customer Service person at Ricoh who can fix this for you. John C. and Jim M. and Ricoh Japan can't do anything to help. It isn't their job to do.

Whoever you are, you obviously don't know anything about me. I have no affiliation whatsoever with Pentax, Ricoh (or any other camera company. Do you?)

Ricoh has outsourced this customer service function along with most other corporate functions. You can appeal to Ricoh all you want. It will still be outsourced. Your problem resolution is with Precision, which is where you should apply your efforts (perhaps with the help of Randall S.), since Ricoh does not have any repair department.Sounds to me as if you know what to do, and that's OK if that's what you need to do. Ricoh is as Ricoh does. It is what it is. We own Pentax.

Deal with Precision.
And therein is the other part of the problem. If you have tried to call Precision Camera, or reach them via any other means, good luck. Most often they have not answered their phones, so there is a great deal of wasted time trying to reach them. I called Precision right after receiving my K-3 and realizing it was in worse condition than when I sent it to them. When I did get someone to answer the phone, they told me to ship it back at my expense (which did piss me off). Holding that aside, they told me they would have a supervisor call me back that day. That was over a week ago. Today, after multiple calls to Precision, I finally got someone to answer by using the selector to reach someone about paying a bill. The person I spoke with was more sympathetic, and said she would request a supervisor call me. And while typing this, a supervisor did call me back. He said he would send a return label and would do his best to expedite the repair. As I need my K-3 for the next week or so, I will be sending it back after my trip. Hopefully they will get it right this time. Stay tuned!
10-13-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Aside from the shipping question, the obligation is on Precision to make the camera good. Appealing to Pentax gets you nothing. They don't repair cameras. Waiting gets you nothing - especially if the Precision 90-day warranty expires. That will be your fault. Whining gets you nothing. Hopefully your medical plan treats angst and ulcers.
I am no lawyer, but it is my understanding that the warranty agreement is with Ricoh/Pentax, not Precision. If the OP has a lemon, it is Pentax responsibility to determine such rather than just have the customer continue to shuttle the camera back and forth to Precision until the warranty runs out. Regardless of what Precision does, Ricoh should be kept in the loop.

Steve
10-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #19
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am no lawyer, but it is my understanding that the warranty agreement is with Ricoh/Pentax, not Precision. If the OP has a lemon, it is Pentax responsibility to determine such rather than just have the customer continue to shuttle the camera back and forth to Precision until the warranty runs out. Regardless of what Precision does, Ricoh should be kept in the loop.

Steve
Does the customer yet know his camera is a lemon? My entire point is he was caught in the bad luck of the CRIS / Precision changeover and yes, received horrible service - but emailing Jim Maloclm isn't going to get him anywhere. If he got a lemon there's a process that starts with Customer Service, which is Randall S.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-17-2014 at 08:00 AM.
10-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #20

Original Poster
I have called Ricoh Imaging Customer Service, and have talked with a number of people, including supervisors. Every time I called, I was told I had to send my K-3 back to Precision Camera, as there is nothing Ricoh Imaging can do. If you, or anyone knows someone at Ricoh Imaging I should contact, please let me know.
10-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Just send the camera back to Precision. Everyone understands that this is annoying for you but that is what you need to do. Monochrome is an established user who has given you good advice.
10-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Inactive Account

"I have called Ricoh Imaging Customer Service, and have talked with a number of people, including supervisors. Every time I called, I was told I had to send my K-3 back to Precision Camera, as there is nothing Ricoh Imaging can do."

I understand the "anger".

But Precision Camera is the only authorized warranty center us Pentax owners have.
Precision will have to fix it, or determine if it should be replaced. You and a lot of others aren't happy. But the only other choice is sell a broken camera and change brands.

I know many here won't agree. But I plan on not buying any new bodies, until Precision has caught up and got the hang of Pentax repairs. I'd rather wait than raise my blood pressure.
10-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
"I have called Ricoh Imaging Customer Service, and have talked with a number of people, including supervisors. Every time I called, I was told I had to send my K-3 back to Precision Camera, as there is nothing Ricoh Imaging can do."

But Precision Camera is the only authorized warranty center us Pentax owners have.
Precision will have to fix it, or determine if it should be replaced. You and a lot of others aren't happy. But the only other choice is sell a broken camera and change brands.

I know many here won't agree. But I plan on not buying any new bodies, until Precision has caught up and got the hang of Pentax repairs. I'd rather wait than raise my blood pressure.
If I decided to switch, I'd make it count: tweet them a picture of your listing ad; explain your experience; end with a clever hashtag like #PrecisionScrewup. Also, if you bought it with a credit card, some offer extended returns or warranties, might be worth a shot?

Apologies if this sounds vindictive, I've never had any serious issues with my Pentax products myself.

10-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
If I decided to switch, I'd make it count: tweet them a picture of your listing ad; explain your experience; end with a clever hashtag like #PrecisionScrewup. Also, if you bought it with a credit card, some offer extended returns or warranties, might be worth a shot?

Apologies if this sounds vindictive, I've never had any serious issues with my Pentax products myself.
That'll do a lot.*

* affirming my point about 'entitled' Americans and their petty grievances.
10-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #25
Pentaxian

That'll do a lot.*

* affirming my point about 'entitled' Americans and their petty grievances.
You're welcome to disagree with me, but I think it's important that companies stand behind their products. When they fail to do so, there is often little recourse in the U.S. with lax consumer protection laws. If they don't stand behind their products, why shouldn't people spend their money on grey market gear at a discount instead? Is it really "entitled" to expect what you paid for?
10-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it's a matter of the company not standing behind their product; rather the company has farmed out the repair work, as most other companies also do. I'm sure Precision is pretty logged down with all the repairs being shifted to them very recently, from the past repair service place. Hopefully when they catch up, things will run more smoothly.

It's very difficult for us to part with our equipment, not knowing when it will be returned, but I think most camera manufacturers also have the problem of service centers not being as responsive as we hope they will be.
10-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I don't think it's a matter of the company not standing behind their product; rather the company has farmed out the repair work, as most other companies also do. I'm sure Precision is pretty logged down with all the repairs being shifted to them very recently, from the past repair service place. Hopefully when they catch up, things will run more smoothly.

It's very difficult for us to part with our equipment, not knowing when it will be returned, but I think most camera manufacturers also have the problem of service centers not being as responsive as we hope they will be.
Sure, and that would be perfectly reasonable if Ricoh had been responsive to the times OP has attempted to resolve things with them. Instead, they seem to have had an attitude of 'not my problem' in regards to the entire issue. I've seen the 'repairs' thread, and Precision's service has stayed the same since RIAC first switched. Making mistakes is perfectly okay, but I'd like to see some sense that Ricoh or Precision are trying to do better.
10-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote

Exactly my position. I'm not buying another Pentax body until the new Canadian contractor has started talking to people and repairing equipment. I've been thinking for a while now I'd like to send my 60-250 in for cleaning and alignment. But i'm afraid it will disappear onto the ozone, so, for me, no body or lens purchases until people start getting some results. We're starting to think the $1000 Pentax usually gets from us around the holiday season will be going elsewhere this year. Things we were looking at this year were things we'd like, not things we need. SO we're willing to wait this out. It would be unwise to spend something costing a grand, that if we dropped it out of the box the first time we opened it, we would have no chance of getting it repaired. It turns a lens from being an investment, into a gamble.

I know what the timelines were for the old Pentax service, 5 to 7 day wait for an estimate, a week to 10 day wait after that until they get to it, repaired and shipped back to me two or three days after that unless it needed parts, which always seem to come from japan, and can take a month. It's not great service, but it was dependable... now, no one's is saying anything about anything. Slow but dependable is way better than no information available.

Last edited by normhead; 10-17-2014 at 03:03 PM.
10-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I just Googled, Precision Camera CT.

The 20 reviews on the right side were about what I've heard about them for many years.
I was in camera repair for some years. I don't think I'll be sending anything to them very soon.
I have done my own repairs for all my cameras, until Ricoh cut off the parts supply.
Think I'll just use what I have till they go south totally.

http://www.bbb.org/connecticut/Business-Reviews/photographic-equipment-repai...d-ct-14001269/

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 10-17-2014 at 03:19 PM.
10-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #30
Lens Buying Addict

There is a total of 41 complaints on the BBB website over the last three years. About 80% were product/service complaints. Virtually every product complaint had to do with communication issues, whether customer didn't authorize a repair (but claims he was not informed of the estimate) or customer was not informed of some other reason for a delay such a lack of parts.

So, 41 complaints in 750 +/- working days. All resolved. I wonder how many repairs are processed each day.

No one writes the BBB to say how good a company is.