Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1) Company "You Beaut Gadget" (YBG) makes great thingamajigs and knows it.

2) YBG appoints "Allrepair" service agent for repair and warranty services.

3) Allrepair does lousy job and is incompetent. Angers customers.

4) YBG does not want to get involved with disgruntled customers. Doesn't have anything in place to monitor customer satisfaction. Doesn't even make itself available.

5) Customer hardens his/her attitude to entitlement.

6) Word spreads around (wrongly) that YBG products are no good. General advice to friends and others; Stay away ! Or only buy when after sales service improves. Either way, no sales.

7) YBG wonders why sales are going down.

8) Finally YBG checks out Allrepair but its too late.

9) YBG lost good reputation very quickly and now faces years to rebuild its name.

10) YBG CEO falls on his/her sword.

11) New CEO says we should have kept a closer eye on after sales activities and now faces uphill battle to claw back reputation.

12) And all that because customers were all too quick to associated Allrepair with YBG or say if YBG can't get its after sale service right I go somewhere else.

Now where have I seen this scenario before.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-17-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: typo
12-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #32

Original Poster
It's now going on five months since I first sent my K-3 to Precision for servicing, and still they have not been able to fix it. I have sent it back for the third time as they continue to tel me they cannot find anything wrong. This last time, I called Pentax, and was told to include a detailed written explanation of the problems so to make it as easy as possible for the technicians to replicate. Dale, a supervisor at Pentax also told me he would have Pentax technicians visiting Precision look at my K-3 and 17-70mm lens (both were returned).

After Precision had my equipment for over a week, I received a call telling me they could not find anything wrong. I told the Precision supervisor, Myles, in detail what was happening, when it happened, and asked if the technicians had checked it under those conditions. He asked me to write him an email explaining everything in complete detail so he could have his technicians read it as that would be a big help to them in trying to duplicate the problems I am having. I told Myles I had included a detailed explanation when I send my equipment back, and from what he told me, it was obvious no one bothered to read it. He than assured me he would have his technicians get my letter from the box I had returned my equipment in, and they would get back to me.

That was last week. I called Dale, at Pentax, Monday afternoon to apprise him of what was going on. He told me he would call Precision first thing Tuesday morning to find out what was going on, and he would get back to me. He did not call me, and so I assume he did not get to talk to anyone at Precision. Dale did tell me he was going to talk to "corporate" to find out if there is anything else he can do (other than to have me keep sending my equipment back to Precision), but nothing on that front either.

I asked Dale if my warranty would be extended, as it is now one year since I purchased my K-3, and I've only had use of it for seven months. He told me Pentax does not extend warranties, but they have my file to refer to should I encounter any other problems after they get these taken care of. That did not make me too happy, as I have no interest in the 90 day guaranty Precision offers for their work.

So here it is five months later and still without a working system!
12-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

IMO, if the camera has spent most of 5 months at Ricoh's repair center Precision, contact Ricoh to request a replacement, loaner camera, or something else you can mutually agree on. If they can't do that and your camera continues to wait in repair or gets returned with problems, then contact your city, county, or state consumer agency to ask for advice.

Try to remain calm when dealing with Ricoh or Precision. The person you speak with is probably not directly responsible for the current service policies.

(My experience with Precision was much better. They did a timely and correct repair to my lens.)
12-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #34

Original Poster
I've taken that tact lately, as my rants early on did not help any. None the less, both Precision and Pentax-Ricoh have not been willing to keep go beyond having me keep returning my K-3 and lens so they can keep trying to figure out what the problem is. Dale at Pentax, said he would try to see if "corporate" would offer another solution, but that has not happened, so I am still waiting for Precision to find the problem and fix it.

My concern with Pentax is is that there seems to be no time frame for how many times it has to go back for repair, or how long it might take for a repair to be done. It seems as if they just do not care anymore. Way back when, Pentax would replace equipment if it could not be repaired within a reasonable time frame (I believe five weeks).

I had a Canon point and shoot that I purchased for my wife. She had the camera for just over a year when I noticed that there was a problem with its white balance, so I complained to Canon. They found it could not be repaired and so they replaced it with a new one. When we found the same problem with the new one they sent, Canon offered to send her any point and shoot in their line, even if it was more expensive, and they did. Canon's primary concern was that their customer was treated fairly and kept happy with their product and service.

It's sad that Pentax-Ricoh seems not to care about their customers once their product has been purchased. I did ask Pentax customer service if they would send me a loaner, but that is not an option. The only option they keep offering me is to have Precision find and repair the problem, regardless of how long it takes.

12-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amihoch Quote
...The only option they keep offering me is to have Precision find and repair the problem, regardless of how long it takes.
Sorry to hear that. 5 months with a broken camera is way too long IMO. Remember that Ricoh not Precision is ultimately responsible. As consumers we don't much care which facility fixes our cameras, but the camera is manufactured by Ricoh and they are the ones responsible for honoring the warranty in a timely manner. Hopefully your local government has decent consumer protection laws to turn up the pressure on Ricoh.
12-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The standard Ricoh Imaging Warranty says nothing about replacing the equipment, only repairs and clearly states shipping to the service center is the responsibility of the owner.

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging
QuoteQuote:
2. This warranty is limited to repair of defects in material and/or workmanship. These repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. However all charges related to shipping the product to the service center are the responsibility of the owner. (Note: RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION and RICOH IMAGING CANADA will not assume the responsibility for damages or loss encountered in transit to the service center, but will assist in processing any claims whenever possible.)
If you have the extended warranty (additional two years):
QuoteQuote:
Ricoh warrants that the Product, when delivered to you in new conditions in its original packaging, will be free from defects in original factory materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of three (3) year from the date of original purchase. If such Product is returned to Ricoh and proven to be defective upon inspection, Ricoh will in its sole discretion and at no charge will (a) repair the Product utilizing new, remanufactured, repaired and/or recycled parts; (b) exchanged for a new Product or; (c) exchanged for a refurbished Product, as determined by the Ricoh. Warranty exchange or replacement does not extend the original warranty period of the Product.
So if you only have the standard warranty all you can do is continue to return the equipment to the service center for repairs. However if your state consumer protection agency has a lemon law that is not confined to automobiles then you may be able to get them involved. The definition of a "lemon" in these instances is a product that has been repaired several times for the same problem.

QuoteQuote:
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to you. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may have other legal rights which vary from state to state. This warranty policy does not affect the consumer's statutory rights.
QuoteQuote:
This extended warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
12-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #37

Original Poster
I heard from Precision Camera yesterday. They have not been able to duplicate my problem. I was told they checked with Pentax corporate and were told to return my equipment to me. As my problem appears to be intermittent I suggested they hold it longer and try again, but they would not, so it is being returned again without any resolution. I called spoke with Pentax customer service. They suggested that when I have my equipment back, I try shooting with each of my lenses to see if I can duplicate the problem on one or more of my lenses. If I do, I will need to call them to arrange for my equipment to once again be sent to Precision for repair. And so the saga continues.
01-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #38

Original Poster
So, having received my K-3 with 17-70mm lens back from Precision Camera (after they had it for another three weeks), with a note saying they once again could not find anything wrong with my K-3 body, or 17-70mm lens, I called Pentax Customer Service. They suggested I try duplicating the problem with all of my lenses, and than to try the lenses on another K-3 body (which I was able to borrow to check the lenses). What I found almost immediately was that the 17-70mm lenses would intermittently refuse to auto focus when shooting outdoors at a medium distance to the object, and it failed on both K-3 bodies. My other lenses worked fine.

When I told this to Pentax CS, Joe Virgil, at Pentax corporate finally agreed to have me send my 17-70mm lenses directly to him for testing. I'm happy to report that Joe called me the day after Pentax received the lens to advise me they had duplicated my problem. Apparently my lens has a problem which manifests itself only at certain contrast levels, which cause the lens not to auto focus. He told me it is very rare and they don't know why, but rather than have my lens sent back to Precision Camera (since Precision could not find the problem after having the lens on two separate occasions, each time for three weeks, he arranged to replace my lens with a new lens.

It's a shame that Pentax has chosen Precision Camera to be their sole warranty repair company, as they obviously could not find my problem and kept insisting that there was no problem with either my k-3 body or lens. I still might have an issue with multiple shutter firings when there should only be a single shot, but I'll deal with that after I get my new lens. I want to make sure the multiple firing was not also somehow caused by the lens.

So for now, my thanks to Pentax Corporate for finally stepping up and doing the right thing. It will be great to finally have a fully functional system!