Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Pentax email addresses

I have a K-3 body with a shutter problem. I had to send it to Precision Camera for repair, only to find after six weeks at Precision, they returned it, but now the shutter has a different problem - considerably worse than before. Apparently Pentax takes no responsibility for how Precision handles warranty work, and told me to ship it back to Precision Camera. I have called Ricoh Imaging, but they only refer me back to Precision, telling me there is no way I can talk to anyone in authority at their corporate office either here or in Japan. I want to write to Noboru Akahane, President of Pentax Japan and U.S., but have not been able to find his (or any) email addresses for officers of Ricoh Imaging. Does anyone have an email address for any corporate officers of Ricoh Imaging in Japan, or in the U.S.?

10-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

okay...Now I'm scared to buy a Pentax K-3 now..
10-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a job for Randall S.!!!!
10-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try tweeting @AskRicoh. I've had good experiences tweeting to get companies' attention.

10-13-2014, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lawjie Quote
okay...Now I'm scared to buy a Pentax K-3 now..
So the initial shutter problem was an intermittent problem where the shutter wold rapid fire when I pressed on it and the only way to stop it was to pull the battery. It only happened twice in six months. After the first time, I was told it could have been a fluke, but if it happens again, it wold be an easy fix, but the body wold need to be sent in for a technician to do. It happened again just as Pentax was changing to a new service center - Precision Camera. They claim to have repaired the problem, but now the problem is that I can press the shutter and nothing happens - it's almost as if the power is off. The unfortunate thing is that the K-3 is s wonderful piece of equipment. When Minolta sold to Sony, I switched to Pentax, starting with the K10D, than a K-5 and now the K-3. This is the first time I have had a problem. Unfortunately, Pentax has handed their warranty service to an independent company they are allowing to control all warranty issues, and that is not what they should be doing.

If I decide to leave Pentax, it will be solely because they have delegated their warranty work and decisions to an outside company, and that is unacceptable. I didn't spend $1,100 on my K-3 to have an outside company screw up what I was told was an easy fix. And to make matters worse, Precision Camera refused to pay return shipping, telling me I had to pay even thought they screwed up the repair. .
10-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'm not a tweeter, but I tried tweeting @askRicoh and got a message telling me my message did not go through since they do not follow me. Any suggestions?
10-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I may ask, why did you send it to Precision Camera for repair? Were they the dealer that you purchased the camera through?

10-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I've been reading Precision Camera is the "official" repair station for Pentax now.
10-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If I may ask, why did you send it to Precision Camera for repair? Were they the dealer that you purchased the camera through?
If you call Pentax support they will tell you to ship the camera to Precision.
They took over the contract from CRIS.
10-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info - I was not aware. I thought CRIS was still the Pentax repair center.
10-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I purchased my K-3 from B&H. Unfortunately, the first time I encountered the problem was a couple of months after the purchase and so I called Pentax. Tech support said it could just be a one time glitch, recommended I do a firmware upgrade, and told me if it happens again it wold need to be sent it for a technician to adjust. It didn't happen again until I was on a trip in late July. Tech support than told me to ship ti to Precision Camera, as they were taking over the CRIS.

After Precision Camera returned my K-3 in worse condition than when I sent it, Precision told me not to be concerned because it was covered by their 90 day warranty, but I would need to ship it back at my expense. Repeated calls to Pentax corporate have been stopped at the tech support supervisor level, all to no avail. They have told me that all decisions with respect t repairs and/or warranty replacement are now controlled by Precision Camera. I asked what happens if I sent it back to Precision and they again fail to repair it properly. I was told I will have to again return it to Precision until they get it right, or they throw i the towel and ask Pentax to replace it. As far as I am concerned, this is unacceptable. Pentax should be embarrassed and ashamed of how they are now treating their U.S. customers.
ly/
10-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The shipping should be covered by Precision. That is unacceptable.
10-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amihoch Quote
I purchased my K-3 from B&H. Unfortunately, the first time I encountered the problem was a couple of months after the purchase and so I called Pentax. Tech support said it could just be a one time glitch, recommended I do a firmware upgrade, and told me if it happens again it wold need to be sent it for a technician to adjust. It didn't happen again until I was on a trip in late July. Tech support than told me to ship ti to Precision Camera, as they were taking over the CRIS.

After Precision Camera returned my K-3 in worse condition than when I sent it, Precision told me not to be concerned because it was covered by their 90 day warranty, but I would need to ship it back at my expense. Repeated calls to Pentax corporate have been stopped at the tech support supervisor level, all to no avail. They have told me that all decisions with respect t repairs and/or warranty replacement are now controlled by Precision Camera. I asked what happens if I sent it back to Precision and they again fail to repair it properly. I was told I will have to again return it to Precision until they get it right, or they throw i the towel and ask Pentax to replace it. As far as I am concerned, this is unacceptable. Pentax should be embarrassed and ashamed of how they are now treating their U.S. customers.
ly/
'Pentax' isn't 'treating' its customers any way at all. Precision is treating its contractor, Ricoh Imaging North America. Get that straight first.

Aside from the shipping question, the obligation is on Precision to make the camera good. Appealing to Pentax gets you nothing. They don't repair cameras. Waiting gets you nothing - especially if the Precision 90-day warranty expires. That will be your fault. Whining gets you nothing. Hopefully your medical plan treats angst and ulcers.

It is unfortunate for you that your camera broke during the transition to Precision when they were overwhelmed with CRIS work as well as the normal contract work. We understand Precision is catching up.

Sometimes life isn't fair, or it actually is fair but we don't like the way fair feels. We own Pentax. It is what it is.

Ship the camera back, ask Precision for an expedited repair and get on with living.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-13-2014 at 08:56 AM.
10-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amihoch Quote
I'm not a tweeter, but I tried tweeting @askRicoh and got a message telling me my message did not go through since they do not follow me. Any suggestions?
That's weird. You could try sending them a direct message?
10-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
'Pentax' isn't 'treating' its customers any way at all. Precision is treating its contractor, Ricoh Imaging North America. Get that straight first.

Aside from the shipping question, the obligation is on Precision to make the camera good. Appealing to Pentax gets you nothing. They don't repair cameras. Waiting gets you nothing - especially if the Precision 90-day warranty expires. That will be your fault. Whining gets you nothing. Hopefully your medical plan treats angst and ulcers.

It is unfortunate for you that your camera broke during the transition to Precision when they were overwhelmed with CRIS work as well as the normal contract work. We understand Precision is catching up.

Sometimes life isn't fair, or it actually is fair but we don't like the way fair feels. We own Pentax. It is what it is.

Ship the camera back, ask Precision for an expedited repair and get on with living.
Monochrome, whoever you are, you obviously do not know anything about customer service. And from what you said,
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We own Pentax. It is what it is.
, it sound like you are with Ricoh. If that is the case, and that is how the officers at Ricoh think, that is very unfortunate.

And. actually my K-3 is still under the Pentax Factory Warranty, so why should I be concerned about a warranty from Precision Camera that will expire before my K-3 warranty runs out. Every manufacturer is required to stand behind their warranty. If they have delegated that responsibility to a third party company who cannot properly make repairs, that is on Pentax (or should I say, Ricoh), and Ricoh needs to be accountable. If not, this is one customer who will sell all his Pentax equipment and look for a more responsible manufacturer, one who values its customers, not ignores them.