Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D Super to K200D

Do I go for it? ...I know its up to me

I have been enjoying my K100D Super however, I am debating if the switch is worth it. I have 2 lenses idling and the K100D Super body that would cut the K200D price at about the halfway mark.

Things that interests me that the K200D has over the K100D Super are;

11-point SAFVOX VIII AF - is it better than the K100D Super AF?
Continuous Drive - is it still about 3FPS before the buffer is full?
RGB Histogram - something I'd like for sure.
Quieter shutter is nice.
10MP - 4MP extra can help sometimes but its not a make or break deal for me
Weather Sealed - again, my lens is not, so not an issue.

Feedback from all those who have upgraded to the K200D would be great.
TIA.

05-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
Do I go for it? ...I know its up to me

>>>>>> it might be better, but not obviously so
>>>>>> pretty much
Quieter shutter is nice.
>>>>>> is a bit quieter
>>>>>> as i said in the other post, it's a close call between noise and the extra 4mp
>>>>>> if the back of your camera gets wet, it could be an issue, it's good to have

TIA.
i have some info here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/243873-post7.html

the dust removal is kind of useful, and kind of not, the dust alert on my camera says there is dust at the moment, but the dust removal can't remove it
i haven't tried my blower as i haven't taken any photos lately, but i want to check in an actual photo to see the dust first, i'm not totally convinced by the dust alert/removal system atm

dave

Last edited by dtra; 05-15-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: fix some stuff
05-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my point of view: Don't switch
- K100D/super uses the same Safox VIII with the same 11 points as K200D
- weather seals, if your lenses are not then... anyway I got caught in the shower with K100 without any protection on it, it's still kikcing strong!
- quieter shutter/mirror box, would be nice but is it worth so much extra money?
- 4mpx more, how much do you crop, how big do you print? you need to answer those questions to get answer as for it 4mpx will make differnce to you. f.e. if you don't crop and print 6x4 you won't see difference
- it's lenses that count don't trade your lenses for another body! It they are keepers, having said that.
So my conclusion again: don't switch. Spend the money on extra lenses or other equipment. And later when prices of K20D will come down or/and K300D will be out, upgrade for new body. K100 D/D super is great camera capable of achieving amazing results in right hands. If you don't believe, try to find some pics posted by members here like Stu (Little Laker)...
BR
05-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

ISO performance of the K200D doesn't even come close to the Super.

Switch to the 200 and you lose ISO 3200 and gain more noise.

05-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I was considering K200D too, but decided to go for a much cheaper K100D Super and wait to see what K300D has to offer. When I held K200D I was surprised by it's size being the same as K100D's except for the thicker grip which makes ergonomics superior to DS let alone K100D. If it had pentaprism I might even consider switching my Super if I could sell it good (very unlikely)

Ah yes, my advice is don't switch.
05-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I needed some common sense driven into me as well.
05-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
No. It is the same, somehow sluggish and insensitive, especially at indoor dimmer conditions.

QuoteQuote:
The buffer is still very small and shooting rate is low: 2.8 fps.

QuoteQuote:
I like it too but I don't think it's crucial.

QuoteQuote:
Quieter shutter is nice.
The mirror action is smoother and the shutter/mirror noise is lower. However, I feel that the time lag is longer.

QuoteQuote:
Well, the more pixels are yet still better, when you are to print the pics large, or if you like to crop pics quite often.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, it is not a real feature unless you have also weather sealed DA* lenses.

QuoteQuote:
TIA.
I suggest that you should wait unitl significant improvements are included in the future model.
05-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Leave it to RiceHigh to add something bad in everything he says.

05-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

However, the raw button is nice, plus you have the ability to shoot both raw +jpeg at the same time. I have both the cameras mentioned and that is one feature I miss when shooting the K100D Super. I have found that the K100D Super is very infrared sensitive and the K200D (and others with that same 10.2MP sensor) is not, so keep the K100D Super and get a R72 filter and check it out.
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
However, the raw button is nice, plus you have the ability to shoot both raw +jpeg at the same time. I have both the cameras mentioned and that is one feature I miss when shooting the K100D Super. I have found that the K100D Super is very infrared sensitive and the K200D (and others with that same 10.2MP sensor) is not, so keep the K100D Super and get a R72 filter and check it out.
Used the PEF2JPEG (PEF2JPEG : Extract L* jpeg from *istD / K series raw data) and I have never missed the JPEG+RAW mode.
05-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
I didn't state that very well (just woke up and still a bit sleepy). As you can tell, I like them both. It really depends on what type of shooting you like. For landscapes, it's nice to have a bit more detail, but not a big deal. If you like IR, then stick with the K100D Super. The K100D Super is also a bit more portable. If you like to shoot straight to jpeg, the K200D has more shooting capture modes/filters, but you can also capture the raw to change those selections later in PP.
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #12

I have a Pentax K200D and I think that's its a great camera.
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

one thing in defence of the quieter mirror mechanism, this would theoreticaly translate into less vibrations and therefore cleaner images, no?