Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggention for a inquiry...

Hi to You all!
To administrator people - If this have been covered somewhere else then please delete.

Although I'm a rookie around here, I have some photographic experience in old glass positives, old negative metal plates (yes I worked in a place were we converted that to film), film and digital.

So here's my two cents:
Remember when a K-1000 and a zoom where just the best?
Yes a simple camera
(Nikon got the "DF" and Sony with A7 are close)
Remember when we save for lenses because the body will last forever?

You may call me lunatic, but how about just a simple (come on does anybody need a zillion focal points?) camera with a good 36mm sensor , robust, and affordable?

I bet that if Pentax do such a camera even in APS format it will sell a lot!

I'm I alone in this kind of thinking?

10-14-2014, 02:11 AM   #2

Original Poster
My intention was to suggest an inquiry/(a poll to the pentax comunity). Would You buy a simple camera (like a K1000) with a good digital sensor? (around 36mm)

Thanks

Last edited by Tom S.; 10-14-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Clarification
10-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ant11sam Quote
My intention was to suggest an inquiry/(a poll to the pentax comunity). Would You buy a simple camera (like a K1000) with a good digital sensor? (around 36mm)

Thanks
That question has been around the block a few times. The real problem is it would cost too much today to do that. A better approach might be a digital back for film bodies, with minimal hookup. That too HSS been around the block a few times
10-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting question indeed...

For me, it would be like asking if I could live without certain commodities and features now taken for "granted", even if I am guaranteed that the "base" device is built like a tank and will survive the next ten generations.

Will I buy Tv screen WITHOUT REMOTE CONTROL?

Will my next car be... No air conditioner, No power windows, no ABS BRAKES, no HEATER , no MUSIC PLAYER, etc?

Will I toss my smartphone and go back to a Motorola "brick" that can survive a nuclear meltdown?

Will my next refrigerator be a single door, frost monster freezer and without an ice maker?

Let me answer as short as possible:

Even though I do enjoy going 4wheeling & odd roading, or enjoy camping and sometimes wish I could disconnect myself from the rest of the world, I would of course, BUT ONLY about once or twice a year and for few days at a time.

10-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Leica is doing a bit of "back to the basics" with the Leica 60.

NO LCD.

Leica M Edition 60 // Leica M // Photography - Leica Camera AG
10-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Nikon Df answers this problem, at least for F mount. It ended up expensive, and while a capable camera, isn't selling well.

A Pentax version of the Df would probably work, especially if it was FF, but only if it cost less than $1000. Simple AND affordable is the only way this K-1000 nostalgia category would work.
10-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ant11sam Quote
Hi to You all!
To administrator people - If this have been covered somewhere else then please delete.

Although I'm a rookie around here, I have some photographic experience in old glass positives, old negative metal plates (yes I worked in a place were we converted that to film), film and digital.

So here's my two cents:
Remember when a K-1000 and a zoom where just the best?
Yes a simple camera
(Nikon got the "DF" and Sony with A7 are close)
Remember when we save for lenses because the body will last forever?

You may call me lunatic, but how about just a simple (come on does anybody need a zillion focal points?) camera with a good 36mm sensor , robust, and affordable?

I bet that if Pentax do such a camera even in APS format it will sell a lot!

I'm I alone in this kind of thinking?
You are not alone, but the problem is that price on a camera is not connected to the number of features it has.
Removing feature might make the camera more expensive as the sales volume drop. A big part of the cost in a camera is R&D cost and cost for setting up a production line, so if sales volume are lower these costs add more to the cost of the camera.

The general idea of a modern DSLR is that it can be customized for each user, which makes the production volume rise.
If manufacturing cameras that are customized for one type of user, then it will be sold on a much lower volume and will most likely be more expensive than a full featured camera. Many of the extra features in a modern DSLR are mostly in electronics and software, so they cost very little. Removing them might actually require extra R&D resources, so it might end as an added cost to the camera just by removing a feature.

So the questing you might want to ask is: How much extra are you willing to pay for a camera that has less features?

BTW: I don't think a K1000 was very cheap when introduced compared to what the K3 cost today. The K1000 became cheap after it has been produces for many years, but this is not going to work for a DSLR, as electronics often become obsolete after a few years. So they need to redesign the camera often to be able to produce it as cost effective as possible.

Edit: price of K1000 with 55/2 lens was $299.50 when introduce in 1976, and that would be $1,298.19 converted to today's value.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-16-2014 at 12:48 AM.
10-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
Forum Member

Wow, when I bought my K1000 back in the late 70's it did not feel that expensive, I was just out of high school. If I were to pay $1298 for a new camera today, I would be sweating the credit card payments, and my wife would want to shoot me.

Rick

10-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ok, I'm an idealist!
Or...
Maybe I'm just "home sick" to the time when taking a photograf was a "magical thing" and we "took time" to think what and why we put in that frame...
When it was more about image then about the camera.

Thank for Your input.

---------- Post added 10-17-14 at 10:03 AM ----------

Ok, I'm an idealist!
Or...
Maybe I'm just "home sick" to the time when taking a photograf was a "magical thing" and we "took time" to think what and why we put in that frame...
When it was more about image then about the camera.

Thank for Your input.
10-17-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It's called nostalgia, something that most suffer from when getting older.