Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I think that truck may have moved a little bit inbetween shots.
amazing how the sensor shift rotated the truck!

02-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Equally impressive having a MF simulator in a FF camera. I guess its possible to get via firmware upgrade too.
Possible, yes. But from experience Pentax doesn't do firmware upgrades. They sometimes fix bugs, and that's it. Since the K-5, or perhaps even earlier there was the possibility to do this "take 4 pictures in a row" thing. That's been how long ago? 6 years? They've had 6 years to give such a simple feature to their cameras. Forget about upgrading their older cameras, even their newer cameras don't have it. What are the chances they will add it to a new camera?
02-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use it fairly frequently. It's surprisingly useful despite the limited adjustment. Only downside is having to use live view.
02-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
But from experience Pentax doesn't do firmware upgrades.
Actually, they did provide antialiasing filter bracketing to K-3 via firmware upgrade. And this sensor movement seems no harder to implement than that, this is not rocket science. The request is for simple bracketing (4 or 5 shots) and not for stitching it in camera and not for electronic shutter. Is there any way to make Pentax at least consider this?

02-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
Actually, they did provide antialiasing filter bracketing to K-3 via firmware upgrade. And this sensor movement seems no harder to implement than that, this is not rocket science. The request is for simple bracketing (4 or 5 shots) and not for stitching it in camera and not for electronic shutter. Is there any way to make Pentax at least consider this?
I don't see a way to make them consider this. I kind of doubt they take feedback. Posted this idea on the Ricoh forum. Posted it here, plenty of times. So did others. What else can you do? If you do find a way to communicate with Ricoh/Pentax, please let me know. There are quite a few things, both stills and video related that they could add, just as an option.
07-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Thanks! I see its the same amount for K-1

That means a K-3's 23,5 x 15,6 mm 24 Mp sensor should be able to simulate a 26,5 x 18,6 mm 32,4 Mp sensor. About 34% larger area then original.
That means a K-1's 35,9 x 24 mm 36,4 Mp sensor should be able to simulate a 38,9 x 27,0 mm 44,4 Mp sensor. About 22% larger area then original.
be aware if you use sensor shift for that purpose (stitching shifted images for a wider framing), you may start to see some internal sensor vignetting with wide lenses at the furthest 3-4 clicks. I get this with the K3II anyhow, not sure about other models.

here is a single wide frame maxed out at -24 adjustment
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-03-2016, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just used this feature for the first time ever. It's not a panacea, but it's awesome to have so many tools built into the camera. Thanks for starting this thread, and hopefully others will notice and try this out.

01-09-2020, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

I realize this thread is almost ancient, but gosh I had no idea of the feature. Could'a used it this past weekend AAMOF. And downtown architecture? Absolutely! Many many thanks guys, and especially Adam for the Youtube video. I'm much better with pictures than words.
07-11-2020, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whilst researching whether or not to get a K1, I stumbled upon this feature, and being unaware of it, I came across this thread. What an amazing feature! Below are 3 shots of the front of my house taken with the HD DA 15mm and my K3. All from the same position and hand held. So not particularly an accurate representation but it does show the effect quite well. First is horizontal to the ground , second tilted up to get the roof line, third is using compensation adjustment.

Ricoh should be shouting this feature from the roof tops! I know it is not a complete alternative to a shift lens but but it goes a long way and it makes any wide angle lens much more useful. Now if only I can use the SR mechanism to get tilt adjustment!
07-11-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a feature I use often enough that one of my programmable buttons invokes it. It is incredibly handy for macro and product photography.