Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2014, 01:06 PM - 18 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Composition Adjustment/Sensor Shift...are you using it?

I've had my K5 for many years now and never really understood the composition adjustment/sensor shift feature until now. I cannot believe I've ignored this brilliant little Pentax feature, especially given my interest in wide angle landscape shooting.

There are a few threads and even a YouTube video or two that explain the use of the feature, but honestly, I never concluded it to be very useful after seeing them.

I just shot a BEFORE/AFTER image in the backyard that pretty much shows the value of shifting the sensor to control converging verticals. Hopefully I can get around to a few other favorite places with my DA15 to really put this tool to work!

First, here's a pic (sorry for the boring content and bad light, ;p )

I used the Sigma 10-20 at 11mm to frame the building. As usual, perspective distortion is evident and becomes more pronounced as straight lines get further from the center of the frame.
Next, I used composition adjustment to shift the sensor up to the max (+24) position and re-composed to match the original composition. This resulted in a very notable correction in converging verticals. [I have even overdone the correction, but you get the idea]

Again, this is nothing new if you have stayed current, but I'm a little slow and want to share a real world example.

cheers!
mikeSF

10-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I used the Sigma 10-20 at 11mm to frame the building. As usual, perspective distortion is evident and becomes more pronounced as straight lines get further from the center of the frame.
Next, I used composition adjustment to shift the sensor up to the max (+24) position and re-composed to match the original composition. This resulted in a very notable correction in converging verticals. [I have even overdone the correction, but you get the idea]
Is it safe to assume that the second shot was taken with the lens axis true to the earth and the first with the camera tilted upward?

Steve
10-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't think many people know about this feature, but it's certainly very handy. It can also be used to increase the field of view of wide lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wondering about the same thing as @stevebrot. However, this is a very good reminder for me to go back and check that feature out. I too have never used it.

10-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is it safe to assume that the second shot was taken with the lens axis true to the earth and the first with the camera tilted upward?

Steve
that's how it works, yes. In both images, I used LiveView to place the center cross hair on exactly the same spot on the house to match the framing.
10-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use it sometimes, but it's basically just because the ball head on my tripod is not very useful for fine-tuning composition.
But my K-7 don't allow as much movement as on K-5 and never cameras, so it's not often it allow enough movement for perspective control.
10-13-2014, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #7

Thanks for highlighting this useful feature and with a very clear example.

This is a much under-valued feature which I believe is unique to Pentax (?). Not owning a recent model, I've never had chance to use this, but it appears to have multiple uses - all of which are potentially genuinely valuable and not just gimmicks:

1. perspective correction, as illustrated
2. extending the effective field of view of any lens (when used with a stitching process), as noted
3. generating higher resolution images (related to no. 2 but not the same)
4. fine adjustment of composition when using a tripod

Any others?

This has always been a feature which I thought should be shouted about a bit more - it's hardly ever mentioned. Is that because its a bit buried within the control system? Wasn't the ability to assign it to a function button removed in the K-3? I think I'd use it for fine composition adjustment all the time if it was easy and quick to access.

10-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Thanks for highlighting this useful feature and with a very clear example.

This is a much under-valued feature which I believe is unique to Pentax (?). Not owning a recent model, I've never had chance to use this, but it appears to have multiple uses - all of which are potentially genuinely valuable and not just gimmicks:

1. perspective correction, as illustrated
2. extending the effective field of view of any lens (when used with a stitching process), as noted
3. generating higher resolution images (related to no. 2 but not the same)
4. fine adjustment of composition when using a tripod

Any others?

This has always been a feature which I thought should be shouted about a bit more - it's hardly ever mentioned. Is that because its a bit buried within the control system? Wasn't the ability to assign it to a function button removed in the K-3? I think I'd use it for fine composition adjustment all the time if it was easy and quick to access.
#2/3 is sort of an alternate pano technique, perhaps useful if you are not using a tripod (ie, camera resting on stationary surface) and want an accurate pan without moving the camera?

#4 might be useful if your tripod head is droopy or has inconsistent fine adjustability. Frame rough and then fine tune using the comp adjust. Possibly act similar to adjustment rails when using macro bellows.
10-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't think many people know about this feature, but it's certainly very handy. It can also be used to increase the field of view of wide lenses.
Really ??? How do you do that ?
I've used it for perspective adjustment but didn't know you could increase FOV.
10-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
I think that they are talking about the possibility to take more pictures with different sensor position and then past them together with photoshop or any other software.
10-13-2014, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
I think that they are talking about the possibility to take more pictures with different sensor position and then past them together with photoshop or any other software.
QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Yup. See:

composition adjustment - Tagged Articles | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the images MikeSF, I had read about it but this example makes it very clear.
10-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I guess you have to take great care to not bump the camera at all when making adjustments between shots?
10-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes--a big thanks from myself also. I was aware of the option in the K-3, but:
(1) the examples I saw suggested it was far less useful, and
(2) I somehow missed the fact that it was on the K-5/earlier Pentax models.
10-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow thanks for the clear example of perspective correction - it really does work.

Previous examples I had seen did not convince me but this is a clear indication of what it can do. Now I'm keen to use it for this with UWA lenses!