Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
it isn't my GIF, i found it in the Kitten GIF store.

12-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it isn't my GIF, i found it in the Kitten GIF store.
Nevertheless...
01-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is another example using the sensor shift in camera to adjust perspective. Total correction is not possible in camera due to the extreme upward angle, but you can see the amount of adjustment available before any PP correction is applied. I have found that the more distortion correction I make in Photoshop, the softer the image becomes.

DA21mm lens.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-26-2015 at 11:50 AM.
01-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Here is another example using the sensor shift in camera to adjust perspective. Total correction is not possible in camera due to the extreme upward angle, but you can see the amount of adjustment available before any PP correction is applied. I have found that the more distortion correction I make in Photoshop, the softer the image becomes.

DA21mm lens.
i am not going to process that image but here is another frame that I finished:
Street Party

01-26-2015, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

You keep reminding me that I should do this more often... it would be great if we could do it with a touch screen. Press a button, move around on the screen to move the sensor. Fast. I think I'd use it more often then.
01-30-2015, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Quite possibly the coolest feature nobody knows about.
02-08-2015, 05:43 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
last night, i had a chance to use the sensor shift feature again. Because of the extreme angle, total correction was not possible, but here is a before and after to give you an idea of the amount of shift available before any post processing correction was applied:

Here is a final processed version of this image.

Up Lombard

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-08-2015 at 05:53 PM.
02-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too bad Pentax didn't give the sensor shift a little more leeway 11mm instead of the measly 8mm, it's a serious tool as we can see from these images.,
02-09-2015, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Too bad Pentax didn't give the sensor shift a little more leeway 11mm instead of the measly 8mm, it's a serious tool as we can see from these images.,
i don't necessarily agree. of course more is often better, but the last couple of examples i shared were really extreme cases. For the average bit of wide angle perspective distortion, the camera does the job beautifully and rather easily once you know what to do. Apparently, no other camera brand offers this feature, so it is a serious tool as you said.
02-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #40

Mike, thanks for sharing these. I shoot residential interiors and exteriors in Chicago. I am debating stepping up to the k3 from my k-01 vs. switching systems all together, and this feature for me could be a deal closer. The issue I struggle with is shooting something like a 3 story house in the city, you can only stand back like 25' at most before trees and cars start obscuring the subject too much. I shift all my perspectives right now in photoshop. The interior one's are usually easy, as the correction is minor, the extreme one's are where I see the image degradation. Seeing some of your later examples of more extreme shifts, I am not sure how much the feature really buys you if you still have to do extreme corrections in post? Your thoughts? How much does it help with what remains to be shifted in post? This would help with framing for the easier shifted scenes, like on the interiors, but without too much loss on easy shifts in posts, I am not sure what else it buys me there? What have you found?

I have toyed with either getting a very used FF canon and putting all my money into the 17mm ts, going to something like Sony or fuji, getting a FF cheaper UWA like the Samyang 14, or even springing for a Sigma 12-24 and using a shift adapter, or just keep plugging along in my current method. These are for my own portfolio work ( I am an architect), so they don't have to be great, just good enough. I have just fought for years with the extreme correction degradation, and as importantly, framing correctly on such extreme shifts where I don't have the luxury of just capturing a ton of sky and cropping in. I am using every inch for buildings.
02-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Mike, thanks for sharing these. I shoot residential interiors and exteriors in Chicago. I am debating stepping up to the k3 from my k-01 vs. switching systems all together, and this feature for me could be a deal closer. The issue I struggle with is shooting something like a 3 story house in the city, you can only stand back like 25' at most before trees and cars start obscuring the subject too much. I shift all my perspectives right now in photoshop. The interior one's are usually easy, as the correction is minor, the extreme one's are where I see the image degradation. Seeing some of your later examples of more extreme shifts, I am not sure how much the feature really buys you if you still have to do extreme corrections in post? Your thoughts? How much does it help with what remains to be shifted in post? This would help with framing for the easier shifted scenes, like on the interiors, but without too much loss on easy shifts in posts, I am not sure what else it buys me there? What have you found?

I have toyed with either getting a very used FF canon and putting all my money into the 17mm ts, going to something like Sony or fuji, getting a FF cheaper UWA like the Samyang 14, or even springing for a Sigma 12-24 and using a shift adapter, or just keep plugging along in my current method. These are for my own portfolio work ( I am an architect), so they don't have to be great, just good enough. I have just fought for years with the extreme correction degradation, and as importantly, framing correctly on such extreme shifts where I don't have the luxury of just capturing a ton of sky and cropping in. I am using every inch for buildings.
The tight shots with extreme camera tilt cannot be solved with a shift lens either, but a combination of camera and post is certainly better than destroying all those pixels in post alone. This feature is great for more subtle adjustment of architectural shots with less camera tilt, where the entire correction can be had in camera with no loss of pixels. In my last example, I would say the sensor shift got me about halfway to my final processed shot.

For your situation, I recommend you rent the K3 and see if it is a workable solution for you before switching systems completely. Good luck!
02-11-2015, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

An alternative might be a panorama head and a telephoto lens. The additional resolution may help out enough, though processing will take up even more time and work. Panoramic heads are great for interior shots too, IMHO. I use it all the time.

Another alternative... a _really_ tall tripod, if that exists. Say you can get it up to 2 meters, maybe more. Perhaps hold it up (or a monopod). Then a K-S2, with WiFi so you have some control over the shot (can see what the camera sees on your phone), though when you hold it up you'd need someone to assist you. Or park your car in front of the building and climb onto the car. You can still use composition adjustment (which the K-S2 probably has?) to get even further in any case. The K-S2 also has the advantage of a flippy screen over the K-3, so you can shoot from a higher position compared to having to use the OVF or a fixed LCD screen.

Basically, try to think of a way to shoot from as high a position as possible. And feel free to combine several things to get it done... wider lens + composition adjustment + higher shooting position. Good luck!
02-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
great tips
02-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Then a K-S2, with WiFi so you have some control over the shot (can see what the camera sees on your phone),
You can also see what the camera sees on your phone when using a Flu-card in a K-3.
02-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
here's another using the DA15: