Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #76

It's not possible to assign raw/fx button to composition adjustment setting on K-3 (and after looking into K-3 II manual, it does not have it either). That makes me wonder. If it is true that the composition adjustment can be changed only on entering LV and cannot be changed during the LV session then I must say I don't quite understand that use case. Pentax most certainly did not forget about it or did not hide it as it is mentioned with other camera specific features on official website (Specifications?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING). So I wonder whether I'm missing some smarter way of changing the adjustment or is it already smart and I just don't 'feel' it or did they remove it from raw/fx setting to make a room for something else or did they forget to put it there while redesigning FW for K-3 and then nobody noticed because nobody uses it?

I tried to play with it in order to add some field of view to wide angle lenses by simple stitch. I found not worth it unless I made sure camera is very firmly mounted on tripod during the whole procedure of changing the composition adjustment. Otherwise it becomes not much simpler than a regular stitching (i.e. requiring rotation, perspective etc. corrections). As far as I remember FLU card specs, it is not possible to make an adjustment from there either. Nor is it possible to anyhow 'program' it in advance. So I'm sure Pentax did not have stitching in mind when designing this feature. I feel the perspective correction already shown in this thread is most likely the key use case. But still, why not allow for changing the adjustment during the whole LV session?

06-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #77
Veteran Member

That's a bit surprising, but then again not surprising at all. Pentax has a history of f***ing up their cameras, downgrading them for no reason, making bad firmware choices etc. These cameras could do so much more with a bit of firmware, but nope, not making use of it. They are clearly not a software company... and that will be the downfall of Pentax, as the world moves more and more towards computational photography.
06-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
It's not possible to assign raw/fx button to composition adjustment setting on K-3 (and after looking into K-3 II manual, it does not have it either). That makes me wonder. If it is true that the composition adjustment can be changed only on entering LV and cannot be changed during the LV session then I must say I don't quite understand that use case. Pentax most certainly did not forget about it or did not hide it as it is mentioned with other camera specific features on official website (Specifications?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING). So I wonder whether I'm missing some smarter way of changing the adjustment or is it already smart and I just don't 'feel' it or did they remove it from raw/fx setting to make a room for something else or did they forget to put it there while redesigning FW for K-3 and then nobody noticed because nobody uses it?

I tried to play with it in order to add some field of view to wide angle lenses by simple stitch. I found not worth it unless I made sure camera is very firmly mounted on tripod during the whole procedure of changing the composition adjustment. Otherwise it becomes not much simpler than a regular stitching (i.e. requiring rotation, perspective etc. corrections). As far as I remember FLU card specs, it is not possible to make an adjustment from there either. Nor is it possible to anyhow 'program' it in advance. So I'm sure Pentax did not have stitching in mind when designing this feature. I feel the perspective correction already shown in this thread is most likely the key use case. But still, why not allow for changing the adjustment during the whole LV session?

i tried to make this feature work on the K-3 last time (see my April 13 post) but it didn't work.
06-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
i'm still rocking the K5 so cannot answer this, sorry. Anyone able to comment re: K3?
thanks

06-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #80
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i'm still rocking the K5 so cannot answer this, sorry. Anyone able to comment re: K3?
thanks
I have assigned it to the Fx button on the K-5, but can't on the K-3 - which is very annoying. I can assign SR toggle to the Fx button now, though.
06-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have assigned it to the Fx button on the K-5, but can't on the K-3 - which is very annoying. I can assign SR toggle to the Fx button now, though.
That is correct. Can't be done on a K-3.
06-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #82
Veteran Member

I would. It is a couple of extra steps. Especially since I also use the feature to create a bigger frame/field of view. Though if I could get a switch to video mode function on the Fx button that would be even better. Oh well... What is happening at Pentax?

06-15-2015, 03:19 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there you go. but seriously, i don't find it particularly inconvenient to enter the composition adjust screen via MENU each time.
For the number of times I use it, it doesn't bother me either.
12-06-2015, 01:14 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
well, i've since gotten the K3II and entering composition adjust is nowhere near as easy as on the K5 so yes, I agree, it should be assignable to a function key or at least have an icon on the status menu.
12-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
An alternative might be a panorama head and a telephoto lens. The additional resolution may help out enough, though processing will take up even more time and work. Panoramic heads are great for interior shots too, IMHO. I use it all the time.

Another alternative... a _really_ tall tripod, if that exists. Say you can get it up to 2 meters, maybe more. Perhaps hold it up (or a monopod). Then a K-S2, with WiFi so you have some control over the shot (can see what the camera sees on your phone), though when you hold it up you'd need someone to assist you. Or park your car in front of the building and climb onto the car. You can still use composition adjustment (which the K-S2 probably has?) to get even further in any case. The K-S2 also has the advantage of a flippy screen over the K-3, so you can shoot from a higher position compared to having to use the OVF or a fixed LCD screen.

Basically, try to think of a way to shoot from as high a position as possible. And feel free to combine several things to get it done... wider lens + composition adjustment + higher shooting position. Good luck!
unfortunately the K-S2 doesnt have this, even the K-50 which costs less has it. this is disappointing, no extra hardware was needed to implement it, just a strategy to make you buy K-3 or K-3 II
02-18-2016, 04:07 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for telling about this technique. I have to try this out.

Do you know how many mm the sensor can be shifted?

Given the pixel shift resolution feature in some newer cameras, I hope future Pentax cameras will have a similar function stitching together four shifted images to simulate a larger sensor. I don't know how much but I can imagine having an FF simulator in a APS-C camera would be a fantastic feature. Equally impressive having a MF simulator in a FF camera. I guess its possible to get via firmware upgrade too.
02-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #87
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is another example using the composition adjust/sensor shift feature (K5 & Sigma 10-20).
I used a free GIF maker, so hopefully you are able to view the animation...

My camera was ~1ft from the ground and aiming upward, so complete correction of the converging verticals could not be achieved. Nevertheless, you should be able to see an improvement using the sensor shift to raise the sensor +24 and then reduce the camera tilt to match the original composition. I used the center of the image as my stationary target.
There has been NO software correction of the perspective, this is an in-camera adjustment.
Not only the post, but the truck on the left side shows quite a difference!

Thanks for bringing this feature to our attention, and for the great samples!
02-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Not only the post, but the truck on the left side shows quite a difference!
I think that truck may have moved a little bit inbetween shots.
02-18-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Do you know how many mm the sensor can be shifted?
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/digital-slr/specifications/K3.html
Composition Adjustment: Adjustment range of ±1.5mm up, down, left or light (1mm when rotated); rotating range of 1 degree

It's close to APS-H. It looks like this: View image: size Center is K-3 APS-C, outer black is K-3 APS-C plus sensor shift. Red is canon APS-H and green is my dream 4:3 sensor with area of the APS-H (basically it would fit all the APS-C lenses and with K-3 sensor density it would have K-1 resolution).
02-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
Composition Adjustment: Adjustment range of ±1.5mm up, down, left or light (1mm when rotated); rotating range of 1 degree
Thanks! I see its the same amount for K-1

That means a K-3's 23,5 x 15,6 mm 24 Mp sensor should be able to simulate a 26,5 x 18,6 mm 32,4 Mp sensor. About 34% larger area then original.
That means a K-1's 35,9 x 24 mm 36,4 Mp sensor should be able to simulate a 38,9 x 27,0 mm 44,4 Mp sensor. About 22% larger area then original.