Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If instead you'd bought a K-50, K-S1 or K-3, Mike, you'd have focus peaking and magnification.
But only in live view, not the viewfinder where it is most useful. I have a K3 and find the LCD peaking occasionally helpful but not nearly as nice as in the EVF like on the A6000. But other things make the Pentax superior over all.

11-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #17

Original Poster
The Katzeye is indeed outperformed by the split-prism screen of a film camera, but still significantly better then the stock screen in low light situation. And I suppose the OptiBright option closes that gap a bit more, though not sure as mine is without. In normal daylight the stock screen did indeed perform better then in low light situations but so does the Katzeye (3 pictures to be sure one was sharp, with split-prism mostly just one).

And I'm not sure if focus peaking during fast action gigs in (very) low light situations would work out well, be it of the action or the low light. Tried in on the K-500's lcd when I just had it and found it even harder to nail focus in rather low light situations without to much movement instead of just using the viewfinder with stock focusing screen. No idea how that would be in a EVF as I never used a camera with one.
11-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

It is funny. I did manual focusing from the mid-60s until the late '90s without a thought about difficulty.My subjects were landscapes, children and moving animals. Focus was only very rarely disappointing when I got the prints back. As autofocus and exposure were introduced I did not see the need. I was only an enthusiast but I liked the control manual controls gave me. I used point and shoots a lot before I got my first DSLR in 2008 so I they got me used to letting the camera do it. I am now lazy and use AF but I still believe manual controls are better when I have the time and energy. I just wish the tools for rapid manual focus were better.
11-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeaceFroggy Quote
The Katzeye is indeed outperformed by the split-prism screen of a film camera, but still significantly better then the stock screen in low light situation. And I suppose the OptiBright option closes that gap a bit more, though not sure as mine is without.
You are correct. There is only so much you can do to make up for the half-silvered main mirror. The Optibrite treatment goes a long way in making up the difference, but not quite. That being said, I frequently shoot with my K-3 and my 35mm film SLRs during the same session and the difference is not jarring. The view and ease-of-focus of my KatzEye with Optibrite is about the same as with my Super Program and better than my KX or Spotmatic II.

Steve

12-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
Did festival with a bit more light this weekend and the Katzeye does make a big difference indeed, about 40% are keepers. More than 70% was sharp but was discarded because of other reasons. As I have other priorities when it comes down to gear and have to replenish my budget, it will do for now. But I see myself buying the Katzeye with Optibright treatment one day, just to cancel out the difference with my film camera's in low light even more