Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #151
Forum Member

Thanks Audiobomber for the advice! Ill gonna try it.

03-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dinamojuan Quote
Thanks Audiobomber for the advice! Ill gonna try it.
Can't go wrong at that price.

For in-camera noise reduction, my testing showed that "Weak" was the best setting on the K20D.

My K20D had to stand in for three weeks as my main shooter while my K-3 went back for the mirror flap problem (again). I have to admit though that action and low light shooting with Old Faithful was not a gratifying experience. I was very happy to have my K-3 back.
03-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #153
Forum Member

Big wedding wth the k20d

Hello Everyone!

I´ve done the hardest test I could do to my K20D, an entire 8 hours wedding,I´ve just done it a couple of times, and I liked a lot, It was a very hard work, and now, I can see clearly the pros and cons about the K20D, I know that many people won't do a Wedding with that camera, but risk was worth it, and this was one of my best photographic experiences, it take the most of my knowledge, and my technical skills, mi mind and body was working together at maximum, and knowing the Cons of that gear made me to use an additional effort this day, more than 1,000 images was taken and 650 was delivered to the couple.

Gear was: K20D + Grip / fa*28*70 2,8 / F50 1,7 / Manual off camera flash, and canon eos as a back up (never use it).

I planned to use Av and Tv with manual control of the flash every time, but I end up using camera and flash Manual all day long, it was easier, and gave me more control and consistency .

The worst: AF in dim light and moving subjects, Iso performance, and noise even at Iso 100. Dark areas, like the man clothes have a lot of noise.
The best: Trusty, rugged, great color, customization, Good Raw files that allowed me to squeeze every drop of color and contrast, grip and confort (imagine the weight: the FA*28-70 + camera + grip + flash transmitter, that was really heavy).

Battery use was pretty nice... only One and a half was use it for all that work.

The result? A happy Couple. they were so happy to see the pictures, and quality... That made me feel so great to have take that risk.

Now I appreciate more my camera and I´m gonna still use it a lot, While a K3 or the new FF comes to me.

Here are some pictures, ask for more if you want it.

FA* 28-70 /2,8 WIDE OPEN
http://www.labodadelanovia.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ADRIANA-SANTIAGO-51.jpg
http://www.labodadelanovia.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ADRIANA-SANTIAGO-M-113.jpg
http://www.labodadelanovia.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ADRIANA-SANTIAGO-M-137.jpg
http://www.labodadelanovia.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/REC-MINI_C-253-11.jpg
http://www.labodadelanovia.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ADRIANA-SANTIAGO-12.jpg

F 501,7 WIDE OPEN
http://www.labodadelanovia.com.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ADRIANA-SANTIAGO-M-5.jpg

f/2
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10926205_592353324232749_...27472570_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/10917352_5923...08457444_o.jpg

Your comments are highly appreciated

Last edited by dinamojuan; 03-18-2015 at 06:52 AM.
03-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #154
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best way to deal with this is to push the exposure if you can. The less you have to lighten the image, the less noise you will have to contend with. Exposing to the right could be helpful, but, of course, it means working with a slower shutter speed.

I love so much my K20D but when I look at the dark zones of the pictures I take, I get so disappointed about the lots of noise even at iso 200, the shadows of the dark clothes lose a lot of detail. what software do you recommend to eliminate noise? I´ve heard about the Topaz Denoise5 do you think it is better than the Ligthroom?

03-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #155
Pentaxian

I think you did a great job, DinamoJuan

I was just reading yesterday on a pro photographer that uses APS-C and he uses Nikon gear that is about the same age (some of it older, some only slightly newer) than the K20D. His pictures are fantastic.

These things that we see (like the noise when you try to pull details out of the man's suit) are things that the clients don't usually see. They do see that you framed well and that you got great light and colors. I can see why they are happy.
03-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter

Your comments are highly appreciated
Very nice work!
03-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #157
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Can't go wrong at that price.

For in-camera noise reduction, my testing showed that "Weak" was the best setting on the K20D.

My K20D had to stand in for three weeks as my main shooter while my K-3 went back for the mirror flap problem (again). I have to admit though that action and low light shooting with Old Faithful was not a gratifying experience. I was very happy to have my K-3 back.
I got a question about the noise reduction. When shooting in RAW, and open it in Ligthroom, the file still have the NR choosed in camera?

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 03:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

I was just reading yesterday on a pro photographer that uses APS-C and he uses Nikon gear that is about the same age (some of it older, some only slightly newer) than the K20D. His pictures are fantastic.

These things that we see (like the noise when you try to pull details out of the man's suit) are things that the clients don't usually see. They do see that you framed well and that you got great light and colors. I can see why they are happy.
Thanks so much!
03-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #158

K20D......gotta love it..

Just wanted to add my 5 cents worth....
My first DSLR was the K10D.... I learned a lot and really liked the color rendition. A friend wanted to buy it off me and thus it funded my K20D purchase. I really like the layout of the controls and how it fits my hand. Like others, I am not a professional, and my budget reflects this. I don't think I'll ever sell this camera as it has been very dependable read: -30 C temperatures, blowing snow, freezing rain, saltwater spray, and keeps on working ( All with WR lenses of course ). I live on a saltwater river so the environment is harsh to say the least. The K20D always works.

I have fun shooting with it and I like the way it renders colors. Low light performance is what it is for a camera of this vintage. I take it hiking, canoeing, skiing, snowshoeing, and just about anywhere I want and don't worry about it. It is one tough little body. I am more worried about the lens I have attached not being tough enough!

Here is an example of the colors that I like..... A woodpecker that hangs around visiting at least 4 or 5 times daily.

and shot to see the red green contrast...(there was a light bulb sticking out of his head so just a "quick" spot removal fix )

Last edited by sawicksted; 03-22-2015 at 02:13 PM.
03-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #159
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Very nice work!
Thanks°!!

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Just wanted to add my 5 cents worth....
My first DSLR was the K10D.... I learned a lot and really liked the color rendition. A friend wanted to buy it off me and thus it funded my K20D purchase. I really like the layout of the controls and how it fits my hand. Like others, I am not a professional, and my budget reflects this. I don't think I'll ever sell this camera as it has been very dependable read: -30 C temperatures, blowing snow, freezing rain, saltwater spray, and keeps on working ( All with WR lenses of course ). I live on a saltwater river so the environment is harsh to say the least. The K20D always works.

I have fun shooting with it and I like the way it renders colors. Low light performance is what it is for a camera of this vintage. I take it hiking, canoeing, skiing, snowshoeing, and just about anywhere I want and don't worry about it. It is one tough little body. I am more worried about the lens I have attached not being tough enough!

Here is an example of the colors that I like..... A woodpecker that hangs around visiting at least 4 or 5 times daily.
Grat pic, What lens did you used?

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Can you tell me what photographer was?
03-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #160

Thanks°!!

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 03:42 PM ----------

Grat pic, What lens did you used?

---------- Post added 03-22-15 at 03:43 PM ----------

Can you tell me what photographer was?
Thanks dinamojaun

It was a SMC Takumar 300mm F4 m42 mount. I just got it the other day.....on a budget but works great. Bought it from a PF member.
03-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #161
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got a question about the noise reduction. When shooting in RAW, and open it in Ligthroom, the file still have the NR choosed in camera?
No, raw images are not processed with the in the camera settings. Noise reduction in LR is very effective IMO. Just my $0.02.
03-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #162

Here are two long exposures I took with a K20D and a SMC-M 50mm F1.7 in Istanbul.
Bosphorus and the two bridges on it.

04-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #163
Pentaxian

I just took this for another thread, K20D and Sigma 70-300. ISO 800, 1/250, ƒ5.6, TaV mode. A great starter set up that these days can be had for very little money. I will seriously try to maim anyone who mentions those little white streaks in the image. It's not funny, it's totally discouraging and I won't acknowledge it's there. It was getting my lens wet though, whatever it was.

Last edited by normhead; 04-08-2015 at 01:52 PM.
04-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #164
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice shot Norm. Still snowing there?
04-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shot Norm. Still snowing there?
I have no idea what you what you're talking about. I'd google that word you asked about, to find out what it is, but I have this psychic premonition telling me not to. My spirit guide is yelling "Nooooooooooo!"