Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #256
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So I give my kids my K20D to shoot pics of my grandkids and what do they send me? Pics taken with their iPhone! Grrr.

10-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #257
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks

Thanks for starting this. I recently bought a used K-20D and still in the learning curve. I am also new to DSLR photography so this is my maiden voyage. I shot a lot of 35mm film back in the day. I enjoy landscape, macro and almost anything outdoors. I only like to shoot people if they are doing something. I also used to do a lot of cave photography, but time and opportunity are not in place for that right now. I am on a low budget so have been seeking out cheap lenses for now.

Every time I shoot I seem to be tinkering with settings and still doing some trial and error. Here are some operating "characteristics" I have adopted so far. I suspect there are a combination of personal preference and aspects of the camera (and probably lenses also).

I almost always underexpose (sometimes 1 stop or more). I prefer the color response this way.
I heavily use auto-bracketing and exposure compensation.
I have settled on AV mode instead of P. I seem to recall this was my method when I shot film also.
All manual focus (but I don't own any auto focus lenses yet, so only time will tell).

I am only shooting jpeg for now, I have not jumped into raw yet. But I am interested in tinkering with raw, high dynamic range, stitching for high res photos, just need to find time and software.

I am on the wrong computer to share photos, but will share some of my humble attempts when I get a chance.
10-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #258
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum and the club! As for underexposing you'll find you are going to get a lot of digital noise in the shadows. It's better to properly expose your images and, if necessary, adjust the images in post processing. I shoot with my non AF lenses quite a bit and I prefer the M mode because I often get too slow a shutter speed in Av. Looking forward to seeing some of your images.
10-21-2015, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #259
Pentaxian

Photos

I believe all of these were taken with a Vivitar 28mm MF lens.

Last edited by KC0PET; 12-03-2015 at 06:00 PM.
11-06-2015, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #260
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A shot of my grandson taken by my son-in-law with MY K20D and DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited. He's graduated from an iPhone to DSLR.

11-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #261
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another shot from my son-in-law with my K20D at ISO 1600.
11-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Another shot from my son-in-law with my K20D at ISO 1600.
Why, that cleaned up nicely, didn't it?

I don't think I ever shot my K20D at 1600. Your son in law's pic says I should try it sometime
11-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #263
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, the K20D can do alright at higher ISOs as long as the image is not underexposed. I pushed this one a half stop. He shot this at 1/15 @ f/2.8. Can't get any slower than that.

11-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Yeah, the K20D can do alright at higher ISOs as long as the image is not underexposed. I pushed this one a half stop. He shot this at 1/15 @ f/2.8. Can't get any slower than that.
I find 1/15s or even 1/10s perfectly useable with my K20D and DA 35 2.4, as long as the subject isn't moving (like that kid in bed).

Sometimes I am able to do that with my 50mm lenses as well, but it's definitely easier with the 35.

I very, very rarely put pics of my kids online but this is my younger son. I should have used the DA 35 for this, though I wouldn't have had f1.7 available... there's a little bit of motion blur if you pixel peep, but I'm happy with it for what it is...

M50 1.7 @1.7, K20D, 1/10s, ISO640 (usually my limit)
11-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #265
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh yeah, nice shot!
11-18-2015, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #266
Forum Member

So I just discovered this thread! I am a long time K20D (and K10D before that) user. I am just now preparing to purchase a K3ii, feeling no need to upgrade until reading about the latest performance and features. The K20D has an image quality that reminds me a lot of Ektachrome 200 transparency film which I shot almost exclusively back in the day (on my trusty K2, K2dmd and MX cameras). It will be interesting to compare with the K3ii. Here are some images I made this morning on my (frosty) walk (with the exception of the macro shot, taken with a takumar f4 m42 macro). I shoot RAW only with this camera, so these are all developed with Adobe Camera Raw.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #267

Been using one for 5 years now. Ordered a K-3II from B&H but just sent it back. While it was nice it did not wholly impress me for the extra money. I look at cameras like I do golf clubs...most people ( especially myself) never truly become good enough to surpass the ability of their equipment. Of course I say that and yes I love to buy new tech stuff...and will probably get the FF when they release it but.... I have yet to attain, in 25 years, skills that surpass my cameras ability. Same went for my $1000.00 golf clubs...I could have spent half and still shanked the same amount of balls.
I mainly use old glass....mostly Tamron Adaptall Sp stuff....kind of fun IMHO...reminds me of when I first got into photography back in 82. I used to look at the Adaptall lens and wish I had the money...I was Air Force then and a few hundred was half a months pay. Now I can buy any lens I want and most for cheap cash. Makes it fun...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #268

As a K20 owner, I have to admit that I never used it to its full potential. I've just bough a K3-II cw 18-135 lens, and I'll probably never use all its functions either, but its quicker frames per second and low light ability means that the K20 is now redundant!
11-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #269
Pentaxian

1 K-3 and 1 K20D image... guess which is the K20D...
A-400, AV mode, IOS 400 and ƒ8

It was extremely difficult to get this K20D image. I was using a manual focus lens. The K20D wouldn't let me take a picture without the centre being in focus (so no stopping down and using a hyperlocal point). Is there away around this? On the K-3 I just set it to Shutter priority instead of Focus priority. And I never did get a decent burst... have I forgotten something or was it always like this?

I never know when the darn shutter is going to go. I don't think I used this camera much with MF lenses.

Last edited by normhead; 11-24-2015 at 02:33 PM.
11-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
1 K-3 and 1 K20D image... guess which is the K20D...
A-400, AV mode, IOS 400 and 8

It was extremely difficult to get this K20D image. I was using a manual focus lens. The K20D wouldn't let me take a picture without the centre being in focus (so no stopping down and using a hyperlocal point). Is there away around this? On the K-3 I just set it to Shutter priority instead of Focus priority. And I never did get a decent burst... have I forgotten something or was it always like this?

I never know when the darn shutter is going to go. I don't think I used this camera much with MF lenses.
It's the 2nd one of course!

You must be using center point focus only?

There is a setting that will only let you take pictures if the image is in focus... but I forgot where it is. I'll check later, or tomorrow

In the meantime, this is the M 50 1.7 at f5.6 (I think) on the K20D. Not a great composition but that lens gives great colors...