Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #541
Veteran Member

I've still got mine- like brand new, very low shutter count. These testimonials point to rugged reliability, for sure!! I need to sell off some old camera bodies, but not this one. Though superseded technically by the other 3 APS-C models I shoot with (KP, K-5 IIs, and K-S2), I still think very highly of the K20D. Some often speak of the superior colors they get from CCD sensor cameras, but for me I'm happy with the rich colors the K20D can delver, and quite good resolution also. I use it often for Fall pics. Have never tried its 21 fps capability, but that is a very unique feature!

01-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI - the K20D Club has been around for some time. The K20D Club - PentaxForums.com
01-04-2021, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #543
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
FYI - the K20D Club has been around for some time.
Some one slap me: I searched and couldn't find that.

I guess we should keep that thread alive rather than start a new one: Sorry all.
01-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #544
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, got mine in 2009, changed my photography. Later in 2011, the K-5 just ruled. Later the K-3, and now the K-1II (oh and a 645z). But! My K20d has been converted to IR so...it's still relevant.

01-10-2021, 04:39 AM - 3 Likes   #545
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, because I didn't find this thread I started another one.... The K20D Club - PentaxForums.com

But I'm here now.

So I grabbed the nearest clean lens, and have been snapping away inside to make sure it seems to work: Which it does.
Then today I stepped out to do some vege gardening: Thought I'd test it outside. While my photos are of boring subjects..... I am absolutely gob smacked by the SR and the resolution on this thing!!
I've got an old Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 macro on it: This ant pic was at 300mm with the macro switch on...
I took some images across the salt pans, at the full 300mm, and they're perfectly usable: I shake like a leaf in the breeze so this is pretty exciting to me.

Now, a boy can dream.... So given this is weather sealed, what's the weather resistant equivalent of the budget nifty 50... zoom/prime, just in case I decide to do something silly like lightening pics etc...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-10-2021, 04:47 AM - 4 Likes   #546
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Picking Which Side To Stand On The Wall

01-10-2021, 04:56 AM   #547
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Congrats on the purchase, almost like new old stock
Thanks: Yeah, just checked, after today's session, we're at 1981 shutter count: So happy with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Cool! I just ordered a replacement battery for mine.
Ah, speaking of batteries: do they read fairly accurate? mine charges ok, and shows full on the display, but I'm still nervous about doing the firmware update with an old, unknown battery. I see the firmware updates address SR improvements, so i figure that's worth chasing.

The K20D and 18-55WR combo is my "Higher risk" kit.
With the pentax lenses, does WR signify Weather Resistant? Or is that for something else?

The 21fps burst mode is also interesting.
Now that is cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I would love to have a classic D-body. Just to play with.
Can confirm they are addictive... this is the 4th I've bought in rapid succession: I've had luck here in Australia with Ebay and Gumtree.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cruddola Quote
Nice going mate! I can't say enough about the K20D or K10D
Thanks, am happy myself. You've got some stories there: Are those lenses even weather resistant?

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Great find! I've got two K20D's—sort of. One is actually its 'evil twin' the Samsung GX20. I've had the Samsung about five years and the K20D I picked up a little over a year ago. I've also got a K10D that I've had for a little longer than the Samsung. Although they have some age on them, they are still fine cameras,
Thanks! That's exactly how I feel about older camera's, they were 'good' at the time of sale, so just because the years roll on, doesn't make their abilities diminish. I'm having a blast with my 6mP bodies... and now this K20D is fantastic too!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
These testimonials point to rugged reliability, for sure!! I need to sell off some old camera bodies, but not this one. Though superseded technically by the other 3 APS-C models I shoot with (KP, K-5 IIs, and K-S2), I still think very highly of the K20D. Some often speak of the superior colors they get from CCD sensor cameras, but for me I'm happy with the rich colors the K20D can delver, and quite good resolution also.
Sounds that way! I didn't know it was WR, I just seen it for a fair price and thought, why not? But am really happy it is WR. Colours seem fine to me, that's a personal thing though, I hate the 'instagram' world with every photo being touched or filtered. Yes, the resolution is impressive: well to me anyway, I'm quite surprised.

01-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #548
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
With the Pentax lenses, does WR signify Weather Resistant? Or is that for something else?
Yes, it stands for Weather Resistant. Keep in mind both the body and the lens need to be for proper protection.

Thanks,
01-11-2021, 12:09 PM - 4 Likes   #549

A morning of limited visibility:

k20D and 40mm f2.8 M

Thanks for looking,
Ralph
01-11-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #550
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
I couldn't see a club/thread for K20D: So lets start one. Forgive me if I failed to find an existing one.

I got mine in the post today: It was listed as damaged/faulty, "please see last image". It was a picture of the rear of the camera with an image in review, all I could make out was the review was highlighting over exposure... I slept on it for a night, then decided, why not: and bought it.

Sure enough after a 20 minute play with a lens I had out, I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with it: I think they seen the 'exposure' warning as a fault.

As per my other 'cheapo' pentax's, the firmware is old: I'll take care of that. And it is in perfect condition, with just 1,700 on the shutter count. It has a genuine battery, and charger, although the lead is missing.

I'm busy this week with work: I'll try to get some shots on the week end.

In the mean time: Let's see what this old jigger is capable of.
As an FYI: merging this 2021 thread with the existing club (The K20D Club - PentaxForums.com)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2021, 12:58 PM   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ralph-uk Quote
A morning of limited visibility:
Fantastic!
01-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #552

Thanks, it's probably my favourite from last year
07-22-2021, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #553
Veteran Member

Going through the Hard drives... 2016

Silver and Threads

K20D X M42 55 tak

Al
07-22-2021, 05:24 PM - 4 Likes   #554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Still have 2 - K20D bodies going strong. This one is with the F 28mm f/2.8.

07-22-2021, 06:47 PM - 4 Likes   #555
Veteran Member

The K20D is still a very capable camera.. I bought mine new and picked up a few copies along way/yrs. Now I usually use one as a dedicated M42 body as its got a split screen I like...but for a while... It was my everything Camera.

Blue Snakeskin Discus with Fry

al