Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really, it's a darn good camera.

12-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #77

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, a few more images.... The first two are K20D and DA*60-250 if memory serves me well.

Great work as always Norm. Sure wish I would have come across your tour guide business 10 years ago, when my health and finances where better!

Griz
12-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #78
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Extra everything, especially batteries...

I haven't done a wedding before but I'd take something that I could slap on for a wider view if I wanted to. I usually take my Tokina 19-35 but anything that goes to around 16-24 would probably be enough.

When in doubt, take the shot. And don't stand in the way of the video person if there is one - and coordinate about the use of the flash if necessary.
DO you think that 4 batteries are good enough?
12-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Griz57 Quote
Great work as always Norm. Sure wish I would have come across your tour guide business 10 years ago, when my health and finances where better!

Griz
Health issues are probably going to shut me down this year. So after retiring from teaching, I guided about 5 years. 10 years ago I was still teaching photography in Toronto. So don't feel too bad about missing me. You didn't have much of an opportunity. And even these days, we turn away more business than we accommodate. Most of the people we take out don't get the dates they want, and end up rearranging vacations so they can go with us. I had a fairly serious knee injury at the end of last season carrying a ridiculous amount of weight across a rough portage, as you probably know, at this age, you may heal somewhat, but you're never quite as good as you were.

12-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Health issues are probably going to shut me down this year. So after retiring from teaching, I guided about 5 years. 10 years ago I was still teaching photography in Toronto. So don't feel too bad about missing me. You didn't have much of an opportunity. And even these days, we turn away more business than we accommodate. Most of the people we take out don't get the dates they want, and end up rearranging vacations so they can go with us. I had a fairly serious knee injury at the end of last season carrying a ridiculous amount of weight across a rough portage, as you probably know, at this age, you may heal somewhat, but you're never quite as good as you were.
Sorry to hear that Norm, but it should leave more time for personal treks, and yep, healing at this age is hit or miss at best.
12-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dinamojuan Quote
DO you think that 4 batteries are good enough?
Sure, just make sure they're charged

I wasn't trying to be facetious or anything, you asked for a bit of advice and trying to be helpful is what a lot of us here in the forum do... if you already have things figured out, then great, just go for it and share pictures later if possible Good luck!
12-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #82
Forum Member

I wasn't trying to be facetious or anything, you asked for a bit of advice and trying to be helpful is what a lot of us here in the forum do... if you already have things figured out, then great, just go for it and share pictures later if possible Good luck!
No problem.. and thats what I need from you all! Ive been in still and modeling photography for a long time.. but the learning curve in weddings is so different and is the first that Im gonna do .I just need some advices from the experienced side like you all. (specially about the K20D)

*shure Im gonna share some pics after...

Wish me good luck

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've shot a couple of weddings with the K20D, Sigma 530 Super flash and the 16-45 as my main lens. I had some trouble attaining focus on people walking up the aisle towards me. If I were doing this again, I would practice this bit first, and try AF-C instead of AF-S. Or more likely I will use my K-3.
Thanks man.. I Havent had that in mind.. and you are right, I was practicing last night in low light location and with moving subjects.. that was a great advice... now Im a little more prepared for that moments.. like the bride walking in the church.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 10:27 AM ----------

There is some Engagement session on my fan page.. maybe you can see them, and of course.. They All were made with K20D www.facebook.com/juanroldanphoto

Last edited by dinamojuan; 12-05-2014 at 08:28 AM.
12-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #83
Forum Member

Hey everybody.. I just bought a Rosco Strobist gel colection, but I dont understand how to choose some color as a manual WB in my K20D.

12-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Well, enough talk, more pictures.... these taken at bear Mountain, one of those places we discovered staring at maps... a great place that seems to be forgotten by the rest of the world.

Bear Lake and Cub Bay.

12-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #85
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Beautiful color rendering Norm.
12-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #86

That's a group though
They are the same thing.
12-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dinamojuan Quote
Hey everybody.. I just bought a Rosco Strobist gel colection, but I dont understand how to choose some color as a manual WB in my K20D.
Your question is not specific to the K20D, it's about flash. You should ask in the Accessories forum:
Pentax Camera and Field Accessories - PentaxForums.com
12-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Looking for other files I came across this one, one of my favourite K20D images, the late great Kenzie in flight... They have a thread for BiFs but not DiFs...

12-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #89
Pentaxian

A couple from the Opeongo Look out. These images, taken with my K20D were the ones I compared ti my wife's K-5 images, that convinced me I needed to buy another K-5. Tess borrowed my first one and never gave it back. The shadow detail isn't bad on this, just the K-5 was better.

12-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #90

Hey All,

I'm kind of at a cross-roads in my DSLR photography life: do I stick with Pentax, or jump ship to someone else..?!!

I have a K-20D which is my first DLSR, I've had it for about 4 1/2 years, and previously used a Pentax ME Super and various Canon point and shoots (which I still use). I've got a few lenses; the kit 18-55 II, Tamron 28-105, and Tamron 70-300. the 28-105 was from my film SLR, and the 70-300 I bought second hand cheaply slightly damaged and repaired it myself. I'm into a bit of landscape and wildlife photography, and am thinking that I need to get a better wide angle, but am wondering whether to stick with Pentax or jump ship to another brand.

The main reason to jump would be to go for a full frame sensor and wider lens choice with more frequent deals as I get the impression Pentax gear doesn't often come up on sale as much as Canon or Nikon, and their also their second hand market is probably bigger too. A couple of other things I'd like too, such as better higher frame rate when busrt shooting, better connectivity to connect to a mobile / tablet, maybe wi-fi, etc, but was wondering what people think?!

Grateful for any thoughts!