Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, what is your budget? Is it enough for a D810 and 14-24 from Nikon? Then you should probably go with that.
If your budget is much smaller then APSC does have some good options, Pentax included.

12-10-2014, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cocksy_boy Quote
The main reason to jump would be to go for a full frame sensor and wider lens choice with more frequent deals as I get the impression Pentax gear doesn't often come up on sale as much as Canon or Nikon, and their also their second hand market is probably bigger too. A couple of other things I'd like too, such as better higher frame rate when busrt shooting, better connectivity to connect to a mobile / tablet, maybe wi-fi, etc, but was wondering what people think?!
Wider lens selection only counts if you can't get what you want from Pentax and you can from someone else. But as my Studio teacher used to say, "Find the lens you want and buy the camera that goes with it." Used lens for Pentax are hard to find in real life, and not cheap on eBay.

The K-3 has frame rate of 8 fps, so you mean, like better than that?

As for the FF thing. I'm far to tired of that argument. Someone ought to make a check list to tell you whether or not you're a full frame shooter.

Do you have a few ƒ1.4 lenses and if you do, do you use them wide open? Yes/No
Do you shoot moving objects in dark places? yes/no
Do you shoot mostly in the 10-135 mm range for your preferred focal length on APS-c? yes/no

Three no's stay with APS-c
Three yes's move to next section

Do you shoot a lot of narrow DOF images?
Are you willing to compromise on absolute resolution to save money and increase portability.

If you answered yes to both buy an FF
If no to both buy an MF system. (645D or 645z)

If you split your answers in any category, you have some decisions to ponder.

One last question, do you have 10,000 actuations on your shutter? If no, you don't know what you shoot yet. Keep shooting with what you've got, examine your files to find out how and what you shoot. Then take the test.

Last edited by normhead; 12-11-2014 at 09:03 AM.
12-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #93

What should I be thinking of as an upgrade to my 20D?

The has come to take the next step. The 20d is a great camera but lacks some of the great features now common in dslrs. K3, K5? Or wait to see what full frame will bring. I have a sh*t load of manual 35mm and 67 Lenses which would work a treat in full frame.

12-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #94
Pentaxian

Right now, you can go for cheaper, K-5IIs, or more expensive K-3, or even cheaper a K-50. But if you have the lenses you might want to wait for the Pentax FF to be released. For me, I'm fully expecting the Pentax FF to be out of my price range, so it might take a year or two to get it if I want it and my K-3 is an amazing camera, that has seriously reduced my desire for a full frame. But your experience may vary. If you're looking for absolute dynamic range, the K-5IIs is the one. If you're looking for better resolution and AF the K-3 is the ticket. If you're thinking you might go for FF, you're going to have to wait until sometime next year.

12-11-2014, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #95

I was in my backyard earlier today, just before sunset looking at the winter wheat coming in. The sunlight was coming through the clouds and cast shadows and light across the field and illuminated the fall colors on the old oaks that border the field. I had my K20D with my SMC DA 35mm F2.4 AL attached and shot this one. I love this camera and the way it catches the colors I want in my pictures. This image is untouched, straight from the camera.

12-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #96
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nice capture of the light.
12-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #97
Forum Member

When I first got my k20, I did some tests with the new 16-45, and the manual lenses I had used on my Ricoh film camera. At the time I did not see much improvement with the prime lenses, but the colors with the new DA lens were great. Eventually I bought an Epson 3880 and made some 16x20" prints of waterfalls shot using my old Ricoh 50/1.7 manual lens and a used FA 35/2 lens that i had recently acquired.

Using a tripod/cable release/mirror up timer setting resulted in 16x20" prints that resembled Medium Format film IMO. I do not doubt that the K5 or K3 will more easily yield sharper prints, especially at high ISO's . But I am not sure how much better prints would look at this magnification and under these circumstances.

The price of the K5iis is very tempting right now, but I have not been shooting much these days anyway. Also I like the size of the K20. Now a FF Pentax SLR would be tempting since most of my lenses are FF, even a nice fisheye 16mm. Coming from 6x7 MF film, the careful, slow approach to shooting landscapes this way is no problem for me. If money was no object, I would own a Pentax 645 digital today!
12-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #98
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After shooting with a K20D you might find the K-5 too small as I did. Although the K-3 is not much bigger the grip is much improved and fits my hand quite well. Actually the K-3 has a better grip than the larger D700. The main IQ improvement in the later models is in the DR of the sensors and lower noise at high ISOs. Just my $0.02.

12-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
After shooting with a K20D you might find the K-5 too small as I did. Although the K-3 is not much bigger the grip is much improved and fits my hand quite well. Actually the K-3 has a better grip than the larger D700. The main IQ improvement in the later models is in the DR of the sensors and lower noise at high ISOs. Just my $0.02.
I didn't go in on the K5 series, but found the K30 fairly uncomfortable. While I am perfectly happy with the K-3 shape, I prefer the weight of the K20D - and the fact that the body is more comfortable in cold weather shooting. Is it just me, or does the K20D weather sealing seem to be a bit more robust in terms of doors, o-rings, etc.? As I was preparing to sell the K20D (listed here), that was something that seemed pretty apparent. Feeling a bit of seller's remorse.
12-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #100
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree with the K20D cold weather operation as I've had mine out in Yellowstone at -22F/-30C without any problem. I don't think it's sealed any better but I do prefer the K20D's card slot door.
12-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #101
Pentaxian

More K20D images...

12-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #102
Pentaxian

That last one is fantastic, Norm!

Here is a panorama stitch...

and a B&W

12-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #103

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Used lens for Pentax are hard to find in real life, and not cheap on eBay.
Are you kidding me! There are thousands of inexpensive K-mount and M42-mount lenses out there. A lot more than Canon EF-mount or Nikon F-mount lenses.
12-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #104
Pentaxian

I was thinking A*, FA* or F* lenses. Actually even DA* lenses as well. I can find factory refurbs with full warranty cheaper than I can find second hand on the forum, quite often.
12-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well, what is your budget? Is it enough for a D810 and 14-24 from Nikon? Then you should probably go with that.
If your budget is much smaller then APSC does have some good options, Pentax included.
sorry for the dealyed reply. My budget is a little up in the air! I'm waiting to hear back from complaint that if successful would mean that I'd have enough to go for a D810 or something. If not, I'd be looking significantly less!

What do you think I can expect to get selling my kit on? I've not a clue to be honest!

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 11:03 PM ----------

Wider lens selection only counts if you can't get what you want from Pentax and you can from someone else. But as my Studio teacher used to say, "Find the lens you want and buy the camera that goes with it." Used lens for Pentax are hard to find in real life, and not cheap on eBay.

The K-3 has frame rate of 8 fps, so you mean, like better than that?

As for the FF thing. I'm far to tired of that argument. Someone ought to make a check list to tell you whether or not you're a full frame shooter.

Do you have a few 1.4 lenses and if you do, do you use them wide open? Yes/No
Do you shoot moving objects in dark places? yes/no
Do you shoot mostly in the 10-135 mm range for your preferred focal length on APS-c? yes/no

Three no's stay with APS-c
Three yes's move to next section

Do you shoot a lot of narrow DOF images?
Are you willing to compromise on absolute resolution to save money and increase portability.

If you answered yes to both buy an FF
If no to both buy an MF system. (645D or 645z)

If you split your answers in any category, you have some decisions to ponder.

One last question, do you have 10,000 actuations on your shutter? If no, you don't know what you shoot yet. Keep shooting with what you've got, examine your files to find out how and what you shoot. Then take the test.
Hi Norm,

thanks for all the info. I'm at about 16,700 shots on my K20, but I would agree that I don't really have a single style of photography yet!!

Looking at your questions, I don't have any specific lenses, and that's kind of where I'm not too sure where to go: I'd like to invest in something with a large aperture, but not sure if I want to stay with Pentax, or jump ship! I often shoot in dim light, and often go to the full wide angle of my 18-55 for landscapes. However, I often go full zoom with the longer lens to go for wildlife shots when I get the opportunity too!

I do really like a narrow DOF for beautiful blurred out-of-focus areas, for the right shot. I don't think I'm ready fr a 645, and I'm not too fussed about absolute resolution or uber portability - I'm just not that experienced (good) yet!

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 11:10 PM ----------

Right now, you can go for cheaper, K-5IIs, or more expensive K-3, or even cheaper a K-50. But if you have the lenses you might want to wait for the Pentax FF to be released. For me, I'm fully expecting the Pentax FF to be out of my price range, so it might take a year or two to get it if I want it and my K-3 is an amazing camera, that has seriously reduced my desire for a full frame. But your experience may vary. If you're looking for absolute dynamic range, the K-5IIs is the one. If you're looking for better resolution and AF the K-3 is the ticket. If you're thinking you might go for FF, you're going to have to wait until sometime next year.
So I had missed that there is a Pentax FF coming out..... that really does put the cat among the pigeons!