Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.... so to change the subject completely, I have to point out the burden we K20D owners carry from time-to-time - rubbish AF in challenging light conditions. As much as I love this camera, every now and again I remind myself through misadventure that you can't let your guard down. The latest was last night when asked to take a quick portrait shot of some family members. When using the FA77 I normally use MF with the split prism, but on this occasion (and after a few stubbies) I got lazy and used the AF-S setting. Big mistake - front focussed. Positive was that everyone's knees were all sharp as a tack!

Great camera, but does have it's nuances.

12-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
.... so to change the subject completely, I have to point out the burden we K20D owners carry from time-to-time - rubbish AF in challenging light conditions. As much as I love this camera, every now and again I remind myself through misadventure that you can't let your guard down. The latest was last night when asked to take a quick portrait shot of some family members. When using the FA77 I normally use MF with the split prism, but on this occasion (and after a few stubbies) I got lazy and used the AF-S setting. Big mistake - front focussed. Positive was that everyone's knees were all sharp as a tack!

Great camera, but does have it's nuances.
Or maybe it's your lens. I've owned a K20D for seven years and never had a problem with inaccurate focus that was camera related. I have had to return several lenses for calibration (DA 15, DA 18-135, FA 35, DA*300, and they were perfect thereafter. The only criticism I have of the K20D is that it hunts in low light. When it does lock on though, it is always accurate.

Another possibility. Are you allowing the camera to choose the AF point (Auto AF)? I use Center Focus and Recompose 99% of the time.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-28-2014 at 04:02 PM.
12-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Nah, it's the body. I get perfect AF in normal light conditions. As soon as you dim the lights and introduce the bottom end of the WB scale, it starts to drift - always has on all lenses, but is most prominent on the 77 with it's narrow DOF. I took a short cut by not taking the time to find a suitable target for the split prism to check against.
01-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #109
Pentaxian

One of the last bottles of a famous Canadian wine.....

I got my K20D back from my sister. She has a wrist injury that prevents her from holding it.

K-20D , DA 35 2.4 @2.4, 800 ISO 1/10s hand held.

01-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #110

I understand what people mean with the auto focus being off at times on the K20d. There have been times I've experience some type of blur in my shots or they didn't come out as I wanted with auto focus.

I took large group shot recently with my best automatic zoom lens I had to use auto focus to catch the moments as soon as I could. One shot came out blurry and the second one worked. They were both taken with camera's flash.

It felt like a miracle to get the second shot in good focus. The situation was low light for sure. But hey the camera and lens did the job and that's what matters to all of us in the end. The key to my successful auto focus is play with the half press shutter button and slight shift, and get more then one focus point to show up.

I enjoy not using auto focus with this camera. Lucky I already have a small array of inexpensive but wonderful manual focus lens that demand even more skill and thought before taking the shot. This camera is not a point and shoot. You really are in the drivers seat like driving the stick with this toy. And it takes wonderful pictures, sharp enough, large enough, that I don't need to buy a K5 or the latest and greatest until 2020.
01-10-2015, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

It's pretty rare for me to get caught out with the AF these days. To be fair to the model, it's now over five years old. At the time I remember friends and colleagues having similar issues with Canikon contemporaries. In my opinion, the layout of the controls and menus is still one of its greatest strengths because it minimizes the chance of having a setting out of place. After five years of ownership it's automatic to me, and when it was new, it was miles ahead of Canon's offerings. As you say though, it's not a good point and shoot camera - my wife loved the *istDS and hated the K20D for that reason.
01-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
It's pretty rare for me to get caught out with the AF these days. To be fair to the model, it's now over five years old. At the time I remember friends and colleagues having similar issues with Canikon contemporaries. In my opinion, the layout of the controls and menus is still one of its greatest strengths because it minimizes the chance of having a setting out of place. After five years of ownership it's automatic to me, and when it was new, it was miles ahead of Canon's offerings. As you say though, it's not a good point and shoot camera - my wife loved the *istDS and hated the K20D for that reason.
Yes, I know plenty of people who just want their camera to have that auto mode and just point and shoot. When I first got my k20d I imagined comparing it to a scientific calculator and an automode camera could be like an ordinary calculator. Yet its not that complicated... its just learning a little bit about photography and understanding your limitations. Its hard to just hand over this camera to somebody else to take the shot because its not going to work most of the time especially when I got a manual lens on it.... You must be experienced a bit first and I like that about it.

01-12-2015, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

Prob the pentax that i shot with the longest for. In a way, i do miss it. All of my gear fit into a tiny bag roughly the size of the pinapple and practically fit into my pocket

Check out what the k20 did for me. Second to last one is an hdr with 6 shots done for class

Last edited by neostyles; 02-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.
01-12-2015, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #114
Forum Member

Here is a recent studio portrait Barely edited
K20D + FA* 28-70 f2,8
Attached Images

Last edited by dinamojuan; 01-14-2015 at 07:35 AM.
01-21-2015, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

These are complete or almost completely SOOC shots... while on vacation the wife insists that I shoot jpeg so she can immediately load stuff in facebook if she wants to... first and last are SOOC, the 3rd has just level adjustment and the 2nd has a bit of contrast added.

01-26-2015, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #116

Hi everyone, it's been a month since i got my K20D. Here are some photos i've taken with it. My first dslr was a K100D Super and i used a smc-m 50mm 1.4 with it so i'm familiar with manual lenses. With K20D i bought a smc-m 50 1.7 and these photos are taken with it.

01-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I've using the k20D since they came out and really enjoy the camera a lot. I did pick up a K3 and am impressed so far, but haven't had a chance to take that out in the field. The K20D, now that a different story!

Proud member of the k20D club! I wouldn't call myself anything but a hobbyist photography...I took up photography years ago to document birds. Went from film to K20D. I try and improve my skills as I can. For me half the joy is in the opportunity to see wildlife, the other is to try and capture it so I never forget the feeling.

These were taken with my K20 D and old trustworthy SMC F 1:4.5 300 ED [IF] in the Everglades. This lens and camera have really worked well for me. Small enough to hike around with, big enough to do the job passibly (for me).
01-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #118

Excellent Shots brewmaster15. Birds are exciting. I need 300mm reach someday myself. My longest prime is 200mm right now. Someday I'll look into a 300mm.
01-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
Excellent Shots brewmaster15. Birds are exciting. I need 300mm reach someday myself. My longest prime is 200mm right now. Someday I'll look into a 300mm.
Thank you! A 300mm can be a really good wildlife lens...I have alot of fun with it.

al
01-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #120
Veteran Member

I just entered my shutter count on this website, pentax k20d | Camera Shutter Life Database. I'm at 40,833, and still going.