Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 500 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #466
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThunderVamp9 Quote
I recently upgraded to a K20D from my K100D that I've had since it was introduced. I know the K20D is out of date now, but it was a definite upgrade from the K100D and had the features I wanted. And I love the camera! I don't feel like I'm missing out not having a newer model yet. I took these with it yesterday while out apple picking.
I went from a K100D Super to a K20D and I agree, it was major.

I've since owned a K-x, K-01 and K-5. I currently own a K-3 and still use the K20D. All the rest are gone. That's because the K20D is a better camera than all the others IMO, though not as good as my K-3.

10-16-2018, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #467
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K20D and the DA 35 2.4 always paired up very well. These are from 2014.

10-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice to see the K20D getting some love. Nice shots Mr Rock!
10-18-2018, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #469
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice to see the K20D getting some love. Nice shots Mr Rock!
Thank you! I like that Samsung sensor a lot, I really do. I think color accuracy was better than the Sony sensors generally speaking (gotta love the K20D greens!), it's the dynamic range that really was the only big issue with it.

10-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Thank you! I like that Samsung sensor a lot, I really do. I think color accuracy was better than the Sony sensors generally speaking (gotta love the K20D greens!), it's the dynamic range that really was the only big issue with it.
Considering it's now 10 years old the K20D still produces some nice images. As long as you don't underexpose the shadows it'll handle ISO 1600 pretty well too. Enjoy.
10-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #471
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Considering it's now 10 years old the K20D still produces some nice images. As long as you don't underexpose the shadows it'll handle ISO 1600 pretty well too. Enjoy.
Ah ISO 640 was my limit with the K20D, but knowing how to better deal with noise today, I could have probably gone a little bit higher...
10-27-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K20D with M 50mm f/1.7. My K20D is still going strong!

---------- Post added 10-27-18 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I went from a K100D Super to a K20D and I agree, it was major.

I've since owned a K-x, K-01 and K-5. I currently own a K-3 and still use the K20D. All the rest are gone. That's because the K20D is a better camera than all the others IMO, though not as good as my K-3.
I am also using a K-3 and a K20D. Agreed the K-3 is a step up, but the K20D is still an outstanding performer.

---------- Post added 10-27-18 at 09:13 AM ----------

My daughter has been using my K20D for her Etsy shop photos. Wisely she decided that phone photos would probably not be good enough. I have paired it with a DA 35 Macro, the DA 21 or the D FA 50 Macro and 2 flashes/umbrellas. She does very well with the DSLR. I have offered to get her a Pentax DSLR with the perk that she would have access to all of my lenses, but she has declined so far. This photo was taken by her.

10-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #473

I've just put my K20 plus a couple of lenses up for sale, but now you're all tempting me to keep it!
10-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #474
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian.T Quote
I've just put my K20 plus a couple of lenses up for sale, but now you're all tempting me to keep it!
For the pittance you get as a resale it is hardly worth it. The 'joy in use' factor far out ways the monetary return for me. Also I like the contour and shape of the K20 - prefer it to the K3 although the K3 is getting by far the greater use. The K20 has its uses - greens are luscious.
10-31-2018, 04:42 PM - 3 Likes   #475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, the sweet memories! The K20D was easily one of my best-ever Pentax bodies. I did eventually fall into the trap of wanting to update, thinking back the incredible high ISO improvements drove that for me. I eventually went through a K-5 and K-5 IIs in succession, landing on my current K-70. Having said all that nd being really happy with the K-70, I went on a trip to memory lane recently, revisiting Pentax raw files in PEF format going all the way back to my first K110D body (eleven years ago!).

I found I could do better today than I did back then in terms of raw processing and image editing so I decided to randomly pick a few shots I had always liked and redoing them with today's tools. The difference is stark! Using Darktable 2.4.4 and Gimp 2.10.6 is like driving a Ferrari compared to the VW Beetle I used back then (mostly Pentax's own software on Windows - when I still used it occasionally - and UFRaw/Gimp on Linux).

So here are some shots from Ottawa, Krakow, Bucharest, Milan and Prague if memory serves me, all shot in PEF with the K20D. What I especially appreciated this time were DT's integrated lens corrections (LensFun library) wich really do a world of good to the shots I took with the DA16-45mm lens which had quite a bit of distortion and other issues. On some shots, the automatic keystoning does way better than I was ever able to do manually in "ye old days" which is especially visible in the B&W shot of what I think was the staircase of the Museum of Natural History in Ottawa but benefitted almost all of my architecture shots to some degree. (I'm a crooked shooter, have always been. Can't get straight lines straight even if I haven't had a drop to drink).

There are even some files, shot at the edge of what I could get away with on the K20D ISO-wise which I can now process with modern, profiled noise reduction techniques and those shots have suddenly become very nice where back then I rejected them due to image noise.

I appreciate the chance to share as well as getting an incentive to go over more of the K20D files of 2009-2011, it's so much fun to see all the places my work took me. And yes, it was mostly boring airport-hotel-office but I always managed to sneak a few hours of walking time into those 2-3 day visits. Hope you enjoy as much as I did redoing these!

11-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #476
Veteran Member

Just received a lightly used K20D today with 10,119 actuation's on the shutter. I had this model a few years ago and let if go but always regretted it. Some of my best shots were from this camera. I'll post some images once I have some time.

Cheers
11-11-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
Just received a lightly used K20D today with 10,119 actuation's on the shutter. I had this model a few years ago and let if go but always regretted it. Some of my best shots were from this camera. I'll post some images once I have some time.

Cheers
Here are a couple of captures from a short hike locally with the K20D. Winter has come to Wisconsin.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-20-2018, 03:35 AM - 2 Likes   #478
Forum Member

Mr. Light

There's something going on with that old sensor...and I mean that in a positive way.

On the occasios that is I use my old rogue GX20, I always find it extremely satisfying to get good images out of it. And if one is careful it is actually not that hard. This (fan)page is a testament to that. I hope I can use it for years to come even though I have the allmighty K1II as welll...

11-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #479
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K20D with my newly acquired K 35mm f/3.5

12-08-2018, 03:01 AM   #480

One from back in September:

I think I used the A35-70 F4 but I can't be certain.

I know it's about time I took this camera out again.

Thanks for looking,
Ralph