Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 04:28 PM - 6 Likes   #556
Veteran Member

Innocence

K20D X M42 55 tak

al

07-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #557

Photos: Albums
I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue with your k20D. I received it new for Christmas in 2008 (I think). Sometimes the battery pops out of place inside the camera. I have to open the battery door and push it back in and it works fine. I was thinking about selling the camera. Is it worth anything at all anymore? Especially with this issue? Should Just pass it on to my kids to learn on? Thoughts?
07-27-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Innocence

K20D X M42 55 tak

al
Great shot! expression, framing, skin-tone, lighting, exposure- all just great! A fine capture of a beautiful subject.
07-28-2021, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Great shot! expression, framing, skin-tone, lighting, exposure- all just great! A fine capture of a beautiful subject.
Thanks Mike! Appreciate the comments!

al

---------- Post added 07-28-21 at 06:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue with your k20D. I received it new for Christmas in 2008 (I think). Sometimes the battery pops out of place inside the camera. I have to open the battery door and push it back in and it works fine. I was thinking about selling the camera. Is it worth anything at all anymore? Especially with this issue? Should Just pass it on to my kids to learn on? Thoughts?
Theres a white latch that holds the battery in place and you have to depress it release the battery....I'm wondering if yours is damaged, worn ,or the spring does not work.. The battery should not move if that piece is engaged. If thats the case, you can make a thin spacer with foam or folded electrical tape... put that between the Door and battery and it should lock it all in. In effect you will be relying in the door latch now.

The K20D is still a great camera. It has its limitations like all tech... you just need to remember that when using it. The same tech that made it a great camera when it was released is still there. I had several of these at one point and I did pass some of them down to my kids to learn on...but not because they were no longer good or worth anything...but because they were good and worth alot as photography tools. I still have a couple for me.

al

07-28-2021, 11:25 AM - 4 Likes   #560
Veteran Member

Felt like I was being watched in the Garden today..

Extra Terrestrial? nope just a spider.

al

k20D X 100 3.5 promaster macro X 1.4X TC
07-29-2021, 08:21 AM - 5 Likes   #561
Veteran Member

Though I really do love the K10D and Its CCD rendering of Colors, The K20D is not without its Charm also, probably why I still use it here and there.

False Solomons Seal Berries

-al

k20d X Promaster 100 3.5 macroX 1.4xTC
False Solomon's Seal Berries
07-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #562
Forum Member

I'm still happy with my k-20

08-10-2021, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gergich Quote
I'm still happy with my k-20
+1. I shoot most of my photos with a K20D.

K20D with DA15.

08-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #564

hey guys is there a way to re-map the selection wheels on the k-20d?

Thumb wheel is used to zoom in pictures by dafault, i want to zoom when in gallery mode with the other wheel. My thumb wheel is slowly breaking and i dont wanna kill it, but i find myself zoomming a lot in camera
08-20-2021, 01:05 AM   #565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
Sorry for delayed suggestions. Firstly, assuming the door remains closed, just put a small piece of foam between the battery base and the door. Is the issue caused by the battery clip not catching properly when the battery is inserted ? If so, it may need a little 'gentle' persuasion once the battery is inserted, to ensure it has clipped firmly into place - maybe using the tip of a tooth pick or other wooden item. Secondly (and much more expensive), obtain a battery grip, and select 'use grip first' in the menus - that way, even if the main battery becomes dislodged, you can continue shooting, and sort out the issue at your leisure.

HTH

Tony
09-18-2021, 08:50 PM - 6 Likes   #566
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sol Duc Falls

Pentax K20D
smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED

09-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Patriot Quote
Sol Duc Falls

Pentax K20D
smc PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED
Nice Catch there on the rainbow over the waters..and long exposure. Very cool image!
al
02-16-2022, 12:51 AM - 4 Likes   #568
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Born to be free

Pentax K20D
PENTAX-FA* 300mm F4.5

05-29-2022, 04:30 AM   #569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
Got some time, and some rough weather coming: So I've dragged out the K20d that I scored a while back: Charged my stockpile of batteries (between a k10d and the k20d I have 5 or so batteries). I finally got a 2nd hand DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR, so I'm good to go, no need to worry about minor drizzle now. Not that I intend to get it wet.

Checked shutter count: ~2050, so quite low, and condition is very, very good.
Hoping some lightening comes: Wish me luck
05-30-2022, 11:21 AM - 3 Likes   #570

Dip-diving Pentax is the bomb.

You've made a great choice with the Pentax! Back in 2007 I left Nikon F2 and F3 film photography for digital. My needs were that I wanted to shoot when I wanted to, not when the weather dictated. With my tax return, I bought three K10D bodies, the battery grips, a 16-50mm f2.8 D*, the 50-135 f2.8 D* lens. The third body and grip sat waiting for the 200mm f2.8 D* lens to be released. I have two of each. Pentax was the only maker of DSLRs whose bodies were weatherized and their lenses. I have added the K20D bodies to my arsenal. Six of them. For good reason explained later.

In 2010 my sister dropped a K10D with the 55-135 lens in a 6000-foot elevation lake. That's a lot of pressure. Her hair got caught in the pier's gate. Yup, her hair was more important. That camera and lens lay submerged in 30 feet of silty water for almost three hours as it took that long for her to prove her diving skills and recover it.

All that was needed was a rinsing at the fish-cleaning table. Tossed the strap as the smell was there to stay. She rode in the back of the truck wearing a trash bag for the 70-mile ride home. Not a single problem with the camera and lens today 15 years later.

In 2013 I had a K20D with the 16-50 lens spend the whole night under the frigid November St. Lawrence River. I failed to calculate for the tide. Again, that camera still operates like new today.

I live in southern Arizona's Sonoran Desert just north of the Mexighani (Mexican) border. Our 3-digit summers are from May through October. We have no winters. Hitting the 120-plus degree Fahrenheit is normal here. I keep a camera kit in my truck, car and jeep always. Nine bodies and 13 lenses altogether. The heat has never been a problem with any of my camera gear left in my vehicles. None.

I'm a former UPI Beirut-based photojournalist back in the 80s. Covered the Northern Irish Troubles, South Africa's Apartheid, Pol Pot's Cambodia and the early Mexighanistan Cartel issues along the border. So, keeping a camera kit in every vehicle is old habit even if it has been decades after leaving the newspuke (journalistic) business.

I've only had one issue with Pentax. Their in-lens autofocus system went to crap within two months of their purchase. All six of their lenses. No real big deal as I shoot and focus manually anyhow. But there were times I could have used AF. After sending the lenses back for repair three times, I went all Sigma AF lenses. I continue to use the 6 D* Pentax lenses for my inclement weather photography. All are still manual focus only today. Done with getting them repaired. Those are kept with 3 bodies with battery grips in the truck and an exact kit in the jeep 24/7/365.

Yes, I understand they've been improved and are great today. But the Sigma purchases have already been made back in 2009. From a 10mm through an 80-200mm 2.8. I have a Tamron 300mm f2.8 SP adaptall in the truck. I had Century Optics convert one of my Nikkor 400 f2.8 ais and 600mm f4 ais lenses to Pentax K back in 2014.

I haven't the interest or desire to go full frame. Don't need it. I get great 11 X 14 prints with the APSc format. My Pentaxes are a perfect fit for what I do. Anything beyond that I revert to a 3-camera and 7-lens Pentax 67 kit. You did great, mate!