Nikon 1815.52%
Sony 21.72%
Other   00%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I would not count either 40mm as an APS-c lens.
If you wan't to see how little Cannon and nikon do for 90% of their customer base then lets for one minute exclude all the consumer grade variable aperture lenses and focus on Desirable APS-c lenses, ie optimised to take advantage of the reduced image circle or different field of view.
Pentax has the following, Da* 60-250/4, Da* 50-135/2.8, Da* 16-50/2.8, Da* 55/1.4, 15ltd, 21ltd, 35ltd macro, 70ltd, 20-40 ltd. All desirable lenses that people may prefer over a FF equivalent (the 16-50 being the one exception where a 24-70/2.8 on FF may be more desirable.)
Pentax also has 10-17 FE, Da14, Da12-24/4 and Da 17-70/4 which I would say are bested by their FF equivalents.

Canon has 17-55/2.8, L level optics but not build, 24/2.8 consume grade pancake, 60macro and mid range ultrawide zoom.
Nikon has 17-55/2.8, 10.5/2.8 FE, 12-24/4, 35/1.8, 40/2.8macro and 85/3.5macro

As you can see Canon and Nikon give you zero reason to stay with APS-C and instead spend their marketing in putting down APS-C users as inferior while crippling the APS-C cameras. By all means they are both great manufacturers of FF systems, but if you prefer the form factor of APS-C then Pentax and Fuji are the place to be.

Personally I would love to have Carry a FF/APS-C combo and use great glass on what ever camera suits my needs. Cannon and Nikon don't give you that option.
But only Pentax are selling other brand lenses with 50% or more higher price tag . (like Tokina 12-24, Tokina 16-50, Tokina 50-150, Tokina 35mm, Tamron 18-270mm)

10-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Perhaps the only thing that i miss from a FF is the High ISO performance.. if APC-S would handle in the future the ability to handle ISO the way that a FF does i will never leave Pentax APC-S cameras.. i mostly shoot nightclub photography with my K3 and i can truly say that the AF performance is really good.. perhaps not as fast as other.. but it is very very accurate; ISO performance is not bad, but not as good as a FF.

With the introduction of Cactus V6 most of the wireless problems that pentax had are gone ( groups, remote power control, etc ).

A real tether support would be nice, FluCard is Ok, but no as fast and versatile as tethering straight from the camera to lets say Lightroom or CaptureOne..

Besides that, i have nothing to complain, glasses are great, body quality is great, i can find the accesories that i need, 24mb is a good amount of data in case that it have to be cropped..

So the thing here is.. for the people that have the K3.. what is next?? can we get something better ( besides the 645Z ) from Pentax in the near future.. or in order to get something better we gotta look somewhere else??
10-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
So the thing here is.. for the people that have the K3.. what is next?? can we get something better ( besides the 645Z ) from Pentax in the near future.. or in order to get something better we gotta look somewhere else??
Better is about the lens system, To get the performance of K3 and Fa Ltds means going FF + Zeiss and loosing AF. That being said FF gives you wide with narrow DOF, a 24-70/2.8 is way better than the 16-50 for portraiture, but the 50-135/2.8 and 60-250/4 are way nicer to use vs their FF equivalents due to weight. At this point nobody has both
I suspect pentax may be the first!
10-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
But only Pentax are selling other brand lenses with 50% or more higher price tag . (like Tokina 12-24, Tokina 16-50, Tokina 50-150, Tokina 35mm, Tamron 18-270mm)
The majority of those lenses had their designs licensed to Tokina from Pentax (back in the years when cash flow was really bad). It is impossible to compare third party lenses to brand name lenses. Nikon sells their lenses for more than Sigma, Tamron or Tokina. So what?

10-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is impossible to compare third party lenses to brand name lenses.
Uh....
10-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Uh....
Let me clarify -- with regard to prices brand name lenses will always be more, the question is how much more. Sigma's 35mm f1.4 is probably as good as Nikon's 35mm f1.4 -- it may be better. That doesn't stop Nikon from charging 1600 dollars for their lens as compared to 900 for the Sigma. And there are people who will pay it because "brand name is better."

Pentax's mark up is significant, but not (in my opinion) any more than the mark up that Canon and Nikon do compared to third party lenses.
10-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Agree completely, the name brand ones will (almost always) cost more.

Personally I usually give the edge to the brand-name if it's close, because the integration and processing is, in my experience, always easier.

Pentax charges a lot, I think it's more painful in part because (more or less) "exactly" the same lens is available for a lot less $.
10-24-2014, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to be able to afford all Pentax glass, but, that's not going to happen. It's just hard to justify the cost. I almost feel like I'm doing them a favour when I buy something from them.

10-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #69
Veteran Member

It should also be noted that those tokina versions lack stabilisation due to mount and have different build quality and coatings. If only the pentax versions came with a 5 year warranty I think we would be happy!
10-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Agree completely, the name brand ones will (almost always) cost more.

Personally I usually give the edge to the brand-name if it's close, because the integration and processing is, in my experience, always easier.

Pentax charges a lot, I think it's more painful in part because (more or less) "exactly" the same lens is available for a lot less $.
I'm sure Pentax regrets licensing the lens formulas to Tokina because of exactly this argument. As far as I know Pentax came up with the formulas on all of the lenses except for the 12-24, which is Tokina's. It isn't as though licensing the lens formulas kept Pentax from being gobbled up by Hoya, either...
10-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Better is about the lens system, To get the performance of K3 and Fa Ltds means going FF + Zeiss and loosing AF. That being said FF gives you wide with narrow DOF, a 24-70/2.8 is way better than the 16-50 for portraiture, but the 50-135/2.8 and 60-250/4 are way nicer to use vs their FF equivalents due to weight. At this point nobody has both
I suspect pentax may be the first!
Agree wtih your comments. There is no perfect camera system. I use the K3 and a 50-135 f2.8 both in the civilized world of a theater rehearsal and then the next weekend take it stuffed inside my coat on a snowshoeing trip with temps at freezing or below. Thats the kind of versatility the K3 has. Agree with the previous comments about how great the static AF of the K3 is in low light - amazing. to mitigate the lowlight advantage of the FF type cameras, one can only buy a fast prime or two. And ditch the F2.8 zooms until the light improves.

Its bad enough that i have Sony mirrorless and Pentax DSLR, but to add a third FF system - yikes - too much gear. Or maybe not
10-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I havent try any Pentax Limited glasses yet.. but i can say that the entire Sigma Art series works like a charm with the K3/ K5iis .. AF/sharpening is really nice... I think that nobody and i mean NOBODY in the industry can say something bad about Pentax glass.. even Canikon users agree that the glass ( and even the cameras ) are great.. the only thing that they are missing is a FF body and a lot of media marketing to let people know how good this careras are.. K3 is a top end camera with APS-C, can we imagine how GREAT the FF lenses will behave with a FF body..? :O :O .. i hope that that is going to be the next move of the company cuz just because of that ( many times ) professionals ( most, not all ) shoot with other brands ( Canon, Nikon, Sony ) .. Mean while we can be proud that we own one of the best ( or the best ? :O ) APS-C body in the market..

But another thing is that people that goes with FF most of them wont go back with crop sensor.. and most of pros shoot FF at this time so.. even if Pentax keeps at the top of APS-C cameras they wont switch.. i saw an interview with a guy from Pentax Japan a few months ago and he said that for Pros they had the 645Z but lets be real..the jump to Medium Format is kind of mmmmm high.. to most of us.
10-25-2014, 06:47 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
Nope. Sony, Nikon and many others sell rebranded lenses from Tokina, Tamron, Cosina and even Asia Optical, many times when these same lenses are available for less from the original maker. The 18-135mm with the reversed focus/zoom rings and DC motor is a good example. You can buy it with the name Sony, Nikon, Pentax, and now I think even Fuji on it. All are the same lens design and internals, just different mounts and either OIS installed or not. (I think Fuji is the most expensive variant, not Pentax!)

That's just how business is done in the photo world... been that way since forever!
10-25-2014, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I havent try any Pentax Limited glasses yet.. but i can say that the entire Sigma Art series works like a charm with the K3/ K5iis .. AF/sharpening is really nice... I think that nobody and i mean NOBODY in the industry can say something bad about Pentax glass.. even Canikon users agree that the glass ( and even the cameras ) are great.. the only thing that they are missing is a FF body and a lot of media marketing to let people know how good this careras are.. K3 is a top end camera with APS-C, can we imagine how GREAT the FF lenses will behave with a FF body..? :O :O .. i hope that that is going to be the next move of the company cuz just because of that ( many times ) professionals ( most, not all ) shoot with other brands ( Canon, Nikon, Sony ) .. Mean while we can be proud that we own one of the best ( or the best ? :O ) APS-C body in the market..

But another thing is that people that goes with FF most of them wont go back with crop sensor.. and most of pros shoot FF at this time so.. even if Pentax keeps at the top of APS-C cameras they wont switch.. i saw an interview with a guy from Pentax Japan a few months ago and he said that for Pros they had the 645Z but lets be real..the jump to Medium Format is kind of mmmmm high.. to most of us.
First a question for you? Have you try some other system for at least two weeks?
I agree that Pentax have really nice cameras (like K3, also K5II and K50) but system is is not at level of K3 body (semi professional level). First of all there is no technical support for (semi)professionals. Quality control is bad, high end lenses (16-50, 50-135, 60-250) are slow focusing and with high failure rating. Pentax really need to do fast and reliable AF motor for lenses (something that Canikon has for decades). If you try an old Canon 7D or Nikon D300s and their 70-200 lenses you will notice that the speed is from another world against Pentax 50-135 or 60-250.
If you ask me Pentax need to do new line of 16-50, 50-135 and 60-250 with new motors, new 12-24 (with AF motor and WR), fast wide angle prime (like 23mm f2), new 17-70 f4 WR lens for K3 kit lense and long zoom that reach 400mm. Camera like K3 deserve good, fast AF and reliable lens system. Without that K3 is just another entry level camera that compete with a lot cheaper plastic fantastic entry level Canikon cameras.
10-25-2014, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

The SDM motors don't fail any more.