Nikon 1815.52%
Sony 21.72%
Other   00%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
There is no pro level gear
Really... I'm sure you'll find that actually there is if you look into it.

10-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Why would it even matter if a company has more APS-C lenses?
I don't think it does.

For the record you can use APS-C lenses on FF cameras, too. The cameras will even do the cropping for you automatically if you want, or you can do cropping yourself later. 4:3, square format, portrait, landscape, you decide in post...
10-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Is that true, taking out the lenses that would be labeled 'FF' in other systems (35mm F/2.4, 40mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.8, 70mm, 200, 300, all the FA's and DFA's)...

My gut guess is that Canon has more APS-C only lenses. But I dunno.

Pentax markets itself as the company with the most APS-c lenses. They obviously do not count FF lenses, just specifically APS-C.

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I do a lot of macro. I have a little station set up on a table next to my desk where my computer sits. I was watching a youtube video about focus stacking the other day and the guy was using a canon dslr and a canon application that let him control the camera from his computer. This application let him change exposure, select focus points and focus from his computer. If I could afford to, I would buy into a system that has that feature right this moment but when I decided on Pentax I had no idea I would even want to do that.
A flucard will let you do that, remotely. The PK tether will also let you do that, though I doubt you'll see the live stream from the screen with it.
10-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If you plan on going Pro eventually, I'm afraid Canon is the route you need to go with in terms of Pro support and perceived client/customer acceptance. I'm not getting into debate here about the rights and wrongs and the what ifs, it's just the way thing things are.

Me I have the best of both worlds, I use other brands for work, but I shoot Pentax for pleasure, which kinda says it all really.
I could see the bolded part being a concern in certain situations, depending on the end use of the images.

Also, I have noticed many wedding photogs in my area have started requiring second shooters to have a full-frame camera. Some will even specify Canon or Nikon, depending which brand they use themselves (some want to use the second shooter's camera body and/or lenses as backups to their own stuff, so get quite selective as a result). Right or wrong, it does exist and I suspect it's largely an attempt to weed down the pool of potential second shooters.

10-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Pentax markets itself as the company with the most APS-c lenses. They obviously do not count FF lenses, just specifically APS-C.
Sure, but they're arguing that Canon's 40mm F/2.8 is full frame (which it is) while claiming that Pentax's 40mm F/2.8 is not full frame (and of course, it is full frame).

The same is true of 50mm F/1.8, etc...

Pentax's marketing is full of marketing-speak. Shocking, I know.
10-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
A flucard will let you do that, remotely. The PK tether will also let you do that, though I doubt you'll see the live stream from the screen with it.
Let's be really honest here, the flucard is a kludge. It's a cool kludge, but it's still an ugly work around for a problem that has a simpler solution. Wireless is *really* slow. 802.11g has an absolute maximum transfer speed of 54Mbs. That is 6.75 MBs. USB 1 is 12MBs, USB 2 is 35MBs and USB 3 is 500MBs. Most of us already have wifi networks set up, so a device that creates its own wireless network is a PITA. Also, it's pretty rare for desktop computers, that aren't macs, to have wireless network cards.

It's probably very nice in the middle of a field, especially if you don't want to carry around a laptop, but it's *dumb* for a studio.
10-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Sure, but they're arguing that Canon's 40mm F/2.8 is full frame (which it is) while claiming that Pentax's 40mm F/2.8 is not full frame (and of course, it is full frame).

The same is true of 50mm F/1.8, etc...

Pentax's marketing is full of marketing-speak. Shocking, I know.
I would not count either 40mm as an APS-c lens.
If you wan't to see how little Cannon and nikon do for 90% of their customer base then lets for one minute exclude all the consumer grade variable aperture lenses and focus on Desirable APS-c lenses, ie optimised to take advantage of the reduced image circle or different field of view.
Pentax has the following, Da* 60-250/4, Da* 50-135/2.8, Da* 16-50/2.8, Da* 55/1.4, 15ltd, 21ltd, 35ltd macro, 70ltd, 20-40 ltd. All desirable lenses that people may prefer over a FF equivalent (the 16-50 being the one exception where a 24-70/2.8 on FF may be more desirable.)
Pentax also has 10-17 FE, Da14, Da12-24/4 and Da 17-70/4 which I would say are bested by their FF equivalents.

Canon has 17-55/2.8, L level optics but not build, 24/2.8 consume grade pancake, 60macro and mid range ultrawide zoom.
Nikon has 17-55/2.8, 10.5/2.8 FE, 12-24/4, 35/1.8, 40/2.8macro and 85/3.5macro

As you can see Canon and Nikon give you zero reason to stay with APS-C and instead spend their marketing in putting down APS-C users as inferior while crippling the APS-C cameras. By all means they are both great manufacturers of FF systems, but if you prefer the form factor of APS-C then Pentax and Fuji are the place to be.

Personally I would love to have Carry a FF/APS-C combo and use great glass on what ever camera suits my needs. Cannon and Nikon don't give you that option.

10-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Pentax has the following, Da* 60-250/4, Da* 50-135/2.8, Da* 16-50/2.8, Da* 55/1.4, 15ltd, 21ltd, 35ltd macro, 70ltd, 20-40 ltd. All desirable lenses that people may prefer over a FF equivalent (the 16-50 being the one exception where a 24-70/2.8 on FF may be more desirable.)
The 70 and 55 are full frame in my opinion.

I'll definitely agree that no one else has 'high-quality-build' APS-C lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Canon has 17-55/2.8, L level optics but not build, 24/2.8 consume grade pancake, 60macro and mid range ultrawide zoom.
Nikon has 17-55/2.8, 10.5/2.8 FE, 12-24/4, 35/1.8, 40/2.8macro and 85/3.5macro

Personally I would love to have Carry a FF/APS-C combo and use great glass on what ever camera suits my needs. Cannon and Nikon don't give you that option.
Haven't you omitted (intentionally due to build?) some 30-ish mm lenses? Could be mistaken, I see you have Nikon's in there.

You have a valid point, Canon and Nikon don't make high-dollar APS-C primes. Pentax has the 15, 21, and 35.

If you want something like Pentax on Nikon or Canon, you'd have to buy a Tokina 35mm, or a Tokina 50-135, or a Tokina wide angle zoom, or a Tamron superzoom...

So I think overall it's not quite so bad as it might seem on NIkon or Canon.

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 10-22-2014 at 12:01 AM.
10-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm not going to add much to the stuff posted above. I'll just say this. I do it every day. My business it's literally built on Pentax and I would not change that. Not at all.
10-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I don't think it does.

For the record you can use APS-C lenses on FF cameras, too. The cameras will even do the cropping for you automatically if you want, or you can do cropping yourself later. 4:3, square format, portrait, landscape, you decide in post...
I do realize that, but it still isn't quite the same as the APS-C lens will mostly limit the final image where as the FF lens will usually be fine on an APS-C sensor (besides the cropping).

I was mostly just pointing out that a 50 mm FF lens should give you essentially the same composition as a 50 mm APS-C lens. Of course what you get after that would depend on the lens itself, but I commonly see issues related to soft corners being more common with APS-C lenses (on an APS-C sensor) because an FF lens is designed to cover more space... In other words an FF lens may be soft in the corners, but the corners are off the APS-C sensor. I've actually noticed this a bit myself, although I tend to not be as concerned with corners as others are.
10-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I was mostly just pointing out that a 50 mm FF lens should give you essentially the same composition as a 50 mm APS-C lens. Of course what you get after that would depend on the lens itself, but I commonly see issues related to soft corners being more common with APS-C lenses (on an APS-C sensor) because an FF lens is designed to cover more space... In other words an FF lens may be soft in the corners, but the corners are off the APS-C sensor. I've actually noticed this a bit myself, although I tend to not be as concerned with corners as others are.
I'm a bit confused, I guess, starting with... there really aren't any 50mm lenses that don't cover FF.

After that, you're right, FF corners always seem to be worse relative to the center, but I've never yet found a lens that has (at equivalent settings) an APS-C corner beat a FF corner. APS-C has more resolution per millimeter, of course, but FF just has far more millimeters.
10-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I'm a bit confused, I guess, starting with... there really aren't any 50mm lenses that don't cover FF.

After that, you're right, FF corners always seem to be worse relative to the center, but I've never yet found a lens that has (at equivalent settings) an APS-C corner beat a FF corner. APS-C has more resolution per millimeter, of course, but FF just has far more millimeters.
50 mm was hypothetical. I actually don't have any duplicate focal lengths that where one lens is APS-C and one is FF. That's partially why I couldn't definitively state anything for comparison, but it seems to be often observed on here what you stated.

I honestly think that we are at a state where the difference between FF and APS-C cameras and even lenses is probably splitting hairs anyway. When I had purchased the original K5, I had told myself my next camera would be a FF camera or I would just stay with the K5. I realized after getting used to that camera and making fantastic photos that I could do just about everything I wanted with the K5 and its APS-C sensor and will stick with that format for as long as I can. I don't need the MP's and the benefits of FF are limited for my needs.
10-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been quite happy with Pentax for my motorcycle travel photography. But to be honest, if I was paying the mortgage with my camera and shooting weddings and events, I'd take a long hard look at Nikon and Canon for the better low-light performance of FF and better flash system. Either that or I'd sell the car for the 645Z and a bag full of lenses. Seriously.
10-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The 70 and 55 are full frame in my opinion.

I'll definitely agree that no one else has 'high-quality-build' APS-C lenses.

Haven't you omitted (intentionally due to build?) some 30-ish mm lenses? Could be mistaken, I see you have Nikon's in there.

You have a valid point, Canon and Nikon don't make high-dollar APS-C primes. Pentax has the 15, 21, and 35.

If you want something like Pentax on Nikon or Canon, you'd have to buy a Tokina 35mm, or a Tokina 50-135, or a Tokina wide angle zoom, or a Tamron superzoom...

So I think overall it's not quite so bad as it might seem on NIkon or Canon.
I count the 55 and 70 as Aps-C because their focal length was chosen to match the FOV of 85 and 105mm FF lenses. My list went off a search of B+H so its possible i've missed a couple too
10-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #60

Professional - what is it? Good continuation to this topic:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/276256-professio...fessional.html