Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Lance

What a stunningly beautiful creature ! You've really managed to capture the essential character of this Red Panda....many congratulations !!!

Best regards
Richard

07-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Why do I wonder about the quality control in testing when the publication cannot exercise quality control in writing, e.g., the repeated inability to spell "its"?
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is very interesting how much difference of opinion is found here on the K20’s AF system. It makes you wonder. I am delighted to report my K20, with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, focuses even faster and better than I hoped it would when I placed my order.

Regards,

Ernest
07-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi all

from the news-stand, in which there is a fascinating in-depth head-to-head comparison written by Technical Writer Richard Sibley between Pentax's K20D and S**y's Alpha 350 (pp 019-024). Whilst not wishing to 'flog-a-dead-horse-to-death', the subject of the K20D's focussing anomalies has regrettably surfaced yet again.....

Best regards
Richard

I just ask this because it's getting under my skin, ever since I've seen this forum.

Why in God's name do people "star out" other brand names?

Don't you think it's a bit ridiculous for an adult to refuse to type another brand's actual name, as if you would be giving them some strange type of endorsement if you did?

I'm not trying to jump on you or anything, as I've seen several people do it...it's just a bit absurd.

Sony.
Canon.
Nikon.

Wow. Infinitely more pleasant to read than S**y, C*n*n and N**on.

------------------------

I guess I should actually comment on the topic at hand - Yes, I have low light focus problems with the K20D. I'm using the DA* 50-135 for indoor shots at f/2.8 and it has a heck of a time simply focusing on my daughter's face sitting across the table from me.

Granted, this is under flourescent light and not good lighting anyway, so I don't complain too much, but I have to wonder if another brand would be better. I don't plan on trying it out. Also, I've gotten some focus beeps, took the picture, and it ends up the picture is not in focus. I've extensively checked my lens for BF/FF.

While I'm at it, I will comment on DA 55-300 focus speed. I like this lens, very much. But, it was recently incapable of tracking a larger bird in flight on AF-C. It has to be one of the slowest lenses on the planet

It's possible maybe I should start using Focus Trap more or even manual, because the 55-300 is just entirely too slow to track a bird. Or, I suck, another possibility

Seeing all my BIF photos out of focus actually tempted me to sell off all my Pentax gear and get Nikon or Canon.
Seeing as how I hate their ergonomics and the lenses cost way too much, I stayed with my K20D. I think I just need to work around the limitation, instead of letting it keep me down.

Last edited by cputeq; 07-04-2008 at 09:56 PM.
07-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Yeah, you did, but no one likes to listen to you.
I made a comment about poor AF performance with the K20 shortly after joining this forum. The response nearly led me to believe that PentaxForums was for and about fanboys.
Most every response to a RiceHigh post (one particularly terse one of mine included) doesn't do much to change my mind.
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Wheatfield: I made a comment about poor AF performance with the K20 shortly after joining this forum. The response nearly led me to believe that PentaxForums was for and about fanboys.
Most every response to a RiceHigh post (one particularly terse one of mine included) doesn't do much to change my mind.
Amazing, I get similar vibes here, often. Almost, and I must stress almost, makes you afraid to type your actual experience because you can sense some people will get on you for posting a less than positive experience with Pentax. I find it very peculiar indeed.

QuoteQuote:
cputeq: Why in God's name do people "star out" other brand names?

Don't you think it's a bit ridiculous for an adult to refuse to type another brand's actual name, as if you would be giving them some strange type of endorsement if you did?

I'm not trying to jump on you or anything, as I've seen several people do it...it's just a bit absurd.

Again, it would be difficult for me to agree more. Almost resembles behavior of some cultish group. Perhaps there is good reason for it, and someone will explain it for us. But, IMO, it actually gives more exposure to the other brands because the reader's attention is heightened in these instances.

I have no problem listening to negative feedback about Pentax equipment, and it does not make me love my K20 any less after reading it. I have enough confidence in my selection of the brand that what other people say is not going to conflict me. The behavior here, of some people, might lead you to conclude they own much Pentax stock. And these same people over react every time a less than positive post is made about anything Pentax, almost as if the price of the stock drops.

Regards,

Ernest

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 07-05-2008 at 02:37 AM.
07-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
I just ask this because it's getting under my skin, ever since I've seen this forum.

So when you search forums for a brand name, it won't trigger it. Generally to stop trolls from other forums.

Most likely a holdover from DPReview forums, where cross-forum smack talk and morons are plentiful.

07-05-2008, 02:14 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Sony.
Canon.
Nikon.

Agreed totally, but this strange thing has been happening here and at DPR for quite a long time already.
07-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
just ask this because it's getting under my skin, ever since I've seen this forum.

Because search engines, like rivers, have been known to drag detritus along with them.

07-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Sony.
Canon.
Nikon.

Like chumming the waters at dp review. Throw the words canon and bad together, stick it in a non-canon forum and watch the sharks. It's quite funny actually.
Same thing happens to names. Use a name and sure enough the person will appear.. It's like magic
07-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Ahhh - at least now it makes at least some sense
07-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #72
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did play a bit with a Sony A350 last week - a friend bought it. It did not have the sturdy feel to it that my K10D does. The lens choices are pretty limited as well - seems that would be pretty restrictive...