Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #1

K-5ii or K-3?

Hi!

I've had a K10D now for about 7 years now and I certainly think it's time for a change!
My question to you is whether I it i worth the money to invest in a K-3 or if the cheaper K-5 ii/iis will do the trick?
Taking into account that my budget isn't the best since I'm studying at the moment. I'm normally using a Pentax 50mm F1.7 manual or the Tamron Macro 70-200mm F2.8.

Thanx for any help in the matter

10-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Personally I'd spend the extra $300 for the K-3.

That said I guess I'd recommend you get the K-5IIs. Spend the extra $300 on glass if and when you can.
10-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both cameras are a huge upgrade over the K10D. I would say if you've been happy with the performance and capabilities of the K10D, you might not benefit as much from the advancements in the K-3. So the K-5 II might be the way to go. With that said, there are currently some fantastic deals on the K-3:

Pentax K-3 and K-50 Price Dive - Deals and Savings | PentaxForums.com

I'd also recommend that you read our in-depth reviews of both cameras:

Review: Pentax K-3 - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Review: Pentax K-5 II / IIs - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi again!

Thank you for some good answers!
I just found this offer from a Buy- and sell-site:
K-3 (silver edition, 390 pic taken) + battery grip and 2 extra batteries,
Pentax SMC-DA 100mm Macro WR,
Pentax SMC-DA 50mm 1,8,
Pentax Pentax DA 55-300/4-5,8 ED
and 2x16Gb SDHC + bag.
everything for approx $1865
This is over my price range but maybe I could get some of it back by selling it again...
Are they any "must have" lenses and is it worth a try? It seams like a really sweet deal too me..

10-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mabusc Quote
Hi again!

Thank you for some good answers!
I just found this offer from a Buy- and sell-site:
K-3 (silver edition, 390 pic taken) + battery grip and 2 extra batteries,
Pentax SMC-DA 100mm Macro WR,
Pentax SMC-DA 50mm 1,8,
Pentax Pentax DA 55-300/4-5,8 ED
and 2x16Gb SDHC + bag.
everything for approx $1865
This is over my price range but maybe I could get some of it back by selling it again...
Are they any "must have" lenses and is it worth a try? It seams like a really sweet deal too me..
You'd probably make a couple hundred off of that kit, but the hassle won't be worth it IMO. I'd recommend picking up a brand new K-3 (they're only $996 with a grip) and getting a Limited lens. The DA 15mm or 35mm macro is what I'd consider a must-have You should get the lenses second-hand as US retail prices currently carry a rather high markup (or wait until Black Friday, when prices will drop for the weekend).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

In my opinion, I think the answer depends on whether your financial budget can afford the extra money for a K-3. If your budget is tight, I think that you would find the K-5 II or IIs to be very acceptable. You will find many positive comments on the K-5 II here on Pentax Forums -- and many very good pictures. (I am happy with my K-5 II)

You might also consider a lens such as the DA 18-135 WR, which you might find bundled with a K-5 II or IIs.

The K-3 silver kit that you mention certainly includes several very good lenses. I agree with Adam, though -- you could recover some of the cost by selling the lenses, but you are likely to arrive back at the basic cost of a new K-3.

- Craig
10-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Coming from the K10d you may want to try both cameras because the K-5 has (to me) a rather narrow (on the right side) uncomfortable grip. I noticed this coming from the same body design as the K10d (a K20d) and I assume all the versions of the K-5 have it--except for the K-5 first limited edition--which is why I purchased it.

I believe the K-3 has a wider grip--but the only ones I tried are the original K-5 and the first limited version of same. For me the K-5 (first) limited was a huge improvement (and a bargain at $500. used/EX) over the K20d and K--x, although physical ergonomics are about equally good on the K20d and K-5 (first limited).

10-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

In my humble opinion I recommend you stay with the K10D unless there is something particular it will not do for you.

I own the K5iis, and while it is a wonderful camera, I shoot the K10D over twice as often as the K5iis. In fact, of all the digital cameras I own I have to say that the K-01 or Q gets used more often than any of them because they are compact enough that I have them with much more often.

But my opinion certainly does not match the majority here.

More pixels is always better, newer is shinier and everyone needs to shoot in the black of night without a flash.
10-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
HYS
Veteran Member

Wait for FF !
10-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Wait for FF !
do you think Ricoh/Pentax will release a FF in a visible future and won't it be double the cost if they do?
10-22-2014, 04:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

K-5IIs and a better lens
10-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mabusc Quote
do you think Ricoh/Pentax will release a FF in a visible future and won't it be double the cost if they do?
No, definitely not.
10-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
In my humble opinion I recommend you stay with the K10D unless there is something particular it will not do for you.

I own the K5iis, and while it is a wonderful camera, I shoot the K10D over twice as often as the K5iis. In fact, of all the digital cameras I own I have to say that the K-01 or Q gets used more often than any of them because they are compact enough that I have them with much more often.

But my opinion certainly does not match the majority here.

More pixels is always better, newer is shinier and everyone needs to shoot in the black of night without a flash.
I know what you mean actually, but i've come to the point were i get annoyed when I miss a picture because the camera takes too long to start. And that its nearly impossible to get a good picture if the light is a bit bad (sometimes even during daytime) despite fairly good optics...
10-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Since you're on a budget, maybe a k5 classic and a top shelf lens or two. The k5 can be had for ridiculous prices right now and it is a great camera.
10-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I went from a K10d to the original K5. You'll like it. I'm not sure about the physical attributes. It took some getting used to, but the image quality was night and day coming from the K10d, especially the high ISO performance. I can shoot with almost any ISO up to 6400 without issue where the K10d I was mostly stuck at 800 and below.

I recently got a K3. It is better and isn't much more expensive, but it really depends on what you need. $300 can be a lot of money if you're a student, but what I don't see right now is any real value in buying used for a K5ii or K3. The discounts on the new cameras generally make the price difference marginal.

A classic K5 could be beneficial, too. They are all good cameras.