Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
1) there are no limitations when using tripod
You lost me here. What tripod limitations are you referring to?

Steve

10-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Probably nothing serious - this might be subjective. If I remember well - I missed MUP modes and a possibility to use my wireless remote control when shooting exposure bracketing and having the camera on a tripod.
10-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SMeK Quote
How bad is that ? Can you give me photo, straight out of camera on daylight with awb ? Thank you all. Now AWB is only thing which bothering me. Few straight out of camera samples should do the trick
As bad as it is with most cameras, no different. Why are you hung up on AWB? AWB isn't the best to use in most situations with any camera, that is of course unless you like correcting your WB in post processing.

The more you creatively control your cameras output the better off you will be. This isn't subjective to just the K5's or K3 it is subjective to any camera that you have the ability to control. No cameras auto modes will be correct for many situations. You are the brains behind it, your knowledge of your camera and your ability to manually use the controls to make adjustments for the varied situations you are faced with will determine your cameras output regardless of what make or model dslr camera you use.

You want samples here are tons of them https://www.flickr.com/groups/k5/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/pentaxk3/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/pentaxk30/

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-24-2014 at 05:25 AM.
10-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
You also may do better selecting a specific AF point - I usually use one of the corners for composition's sake.
The number of AF points never seemed much of a selling point to me. I've almost always used centre spot AF and re-composed. Wouldn't using a corner spot for focusing require some mental gymnastics, or does it come easily after a while?

10-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #20

Original Poster
Does anyone have K-x and K5iis and can you upload one straight out jpg, side by side? thank you.. I thinking i will buy k5iis, just want to see direct comprasion in same real life situation. Thank you.
10-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The number of AF points never seemed much of a selling point to me. I've almost always used centre spot AF and re-composed. Wouldn't using a corner spot for focusing require some mental gymnastics, or does it come easily after a while?
I think it's easier, overall. You should be deliberate with your composition, and most of the time you have no business pressing that shutter if you don't know what (or who) you're focusing on.

For action photos it can be tricky, because you may need to change your selected focus point from time to time. Often I'm able to pick a corner that will work (compositionally) in both portrait and landscape camera orientations, without having to select an new AF point.

If using center-point AF, the alternative is to way-overshoot the borders (using a much wider angle than needed) and then crop later. But it's more difficult to get the same "look" that a telephoto lens would give you. Re-composing can introduce focusing errors, and if your subject is static it's actually easier to just move the AF point on the camera.

To directly answer your question, changing the AF point becomes relatively easy after you get used to doing it. More AF points is definitely better, and they should spread out relatively far from the center of the frame.
10-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #22

Original Poster
So it is, just ordered K5iis and now wait for a week or two

10-31-2014, 07:06 AM   #23

Original Poster
and waiting sucks...
10-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Nice Choice

I doubt you will ever have any regrets. Maybe over time you will get something else in the future, and I am not going to put down any other model, but the K-5IIS is an excellent performer.
10-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and waiting sucks...
The worst part is waiting for the battery to charge. If you got one of those deals with a free grip, you can load up some AAs temporarily.
10-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The worst part is waiting for the battery to charge. If you got one of those deals with a free grip, you can load up some AAs temporarily.
No it is body only. What do you think about cheap ebay bateries (15-20$ ? ) Is it worth it ?

---------- Post added 01-11-14 at 00:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I doubt you will ever have any regrets. Maybe over time you will get something else in the future, and I am not going to put down any other model, but the K-5IIS is an excellent performer.
I dont think I'll need something better in APS-C size... Maybe when they anounce FF in far future lol
10-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No it is body only. What do you think about cheap ebay bateries (15-20$ ? ) Is it worth it ?
I got 2 no-name batteries in March 2010 for my K-7 and have rotated them regularily with one genuine Pentax. I never fully trust them but they still seem to work just like they always did, doing their fair share of 29,000 shots. I just got a new K-5 IIs and the old set of batteries seems the same as the new one. But who knows whether you'd get something similar, or a complete lemon.
11-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I got 2 no-name batteries in March 2010 for my K-7 and have rotated them regularily with one genuine Pentax. I never fully trust them but they still seem to work just like they always did, doing their fair share of 29,000 shots. I just got a new K-5 IIs and the old set of batteries seems the same as the new one. But who knows whether you'd get something similar, or a complete lemon.
K, i will try it then, they are cheap and i dont like battery grip, camera looks funny and is much heavier ( i am on my bike a lot troguht woods and hills )
11-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #29
Forum Member

I would want K30!! Though it doesn't have afew functions K5iis have but the double AA battery and colourful bodies plus focus peaking is good enough for me
11-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simon6z Quote
I would want K30!! Though it doesn't have afew functions K5iis have but the double AA battery and colourful bodies plus focus peaking is good enough for me
I have the AA battery adapter for my K-30 but only keep it for emergencies. A Li109 in the camera and a spare (or two) in the pocket is lighter than a set of AA batteries. If it doesn't last as long I don't mind too much. If you are away from a power source for some days the equation might be different.

+1 on focus peaking.

As for the colours, I wanted a blue one, but had to settle for black. I'm over the disappointment now.

Last edited by Des; 11-02-2014 at 04:20 AM.