Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went on the internet and found this (K-S1 ad)

Pentax K-S1 marketing flop: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here's the source. Someone found a stock photo they used for a K-S1 "sweets" collection ad. Interesting read.

10-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

In the early days of digital Canon ran a billboard ad that was actually set with a Nikon film camera. This I was told by the photographer herself.

It is the work of an ad agency, nothing more.
10-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received that photo in an email from Ricoh Imaging the other day. Some of the folks at DP Review are having a bit of fun with it. Good luck to them. Let's hope the marketing dept at Ricoh learn something from this, but from what little I know of marketing, I have my doubts.
10-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's why the camera looks so small and I was thinking the dingbat had her finger over the lens. That's why we can't make money out of photography -even the distributors aren't prepared to pay for it.

10-23-2014, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

That is such an amateur mistake. I hope someone gets canned for it.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not canned. But something to deliver a hard lesson.
10-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This kind of happenings are the ones that make tou feel embarrassed even though you had no responsibility over what happened. Is the kind of things that even without hearing a comment, you feel everyone is looking at you like a total looser because you are stupid enough to use, cherish and swear by the same products that "betray" their own customers.

Sorry if I express myself a bit too hard about this, but considering myself a well versed individual in advertising, marketing and PPRR (public relations), -I could say that this event "may be" enough deterrent for a potential new customer. Definitely is more than enough to hunt down the marketing executive at Ricoh Imaging that allowed this to happen, and to immediately cease commercial relationship with the advertising agency / creative consultant that produced this marketing flop. Of course, establishing the administrative and marketing responsibilities is obvious, but I would also consider establishing the economical responsibilities, direct and consequential.
10-23-2014, 06:16 PM - 8 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This women is a giant.

Attached Images

10-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh man, makes me think of "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" - a woman that can hold a Pentax 645Z like it's a toy camera.
10-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by qblade Quote
Oh man, makes me think of "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" - a woman that can hold a Pentax 645Z like it's a toy camera.
That's my favorite version of this. She looks awesome 50 feet tall.
10-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't see the issue. Use of stock photos for ad copy is pretty much the norm.

Steve
10-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

The bad photoshop is embarrassing.
10-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The main issue would be that the camera is shown as being roughly 8cm wide, instead of 12cm. So that's deception, given that the size of a camera is a major consideration for most customers - particularly the audience for this camera.
10-24-2014, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

That's a shame. And a big mistake, because in any normal country, they can be sued for misleading advertising. I just can't understand how they can do something like this.
10-24-2014, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't see the issue. Use of stock photos for ad copy is pretty much the norm.

Steve
Yes, but if you are advertising "Coke", make sure whatever stock photo or clipart used, has never been used or associated to Pepsi, Dr.Pepper or Mountain Dew. Better yet, don't be a cheapskate and produce your own material. I can understand grandpa's convenience store using "generic" stock to advertise "fresh imported apples", but not a company like Ricoh saving a few bucks on a worlwide campaign,

In fact, I would bet anyone that if someone presents a Ricoh marketing's executive with a proposed newspaper add for photocopiers, and the add shows a Xerox or the artwork can be associated to any other brand, you can be sure some heads will roll downhill.
10-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I agree to using stock photos by everybody but not by the camera gear manufacturers !! They could have used that opportunity to promote their own gear and add small print that 'this ad was entirely created by the camera being advertised' - that would put some extra meaning to those ads - for now it is just a big embarrassment on Ricoh's part. ( not to mention that bad photo-shopping work)

cheap cheap cheap cheap
facepalm ...