Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #1

MaximalPower, Inca vs Pentax original battery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
Which one would be best battery to choose from?

1. MaximalPower 1800 mAh $25.01 (Maximal Power D-Li90 Battery for Pentax)
2. MaximalPower 1200 mAh $23.56 (Maximal Power D-Li109 Battery for Pentax)
3. Inca 1150 mAh $32.00 (Inca D-Li109 Li-Ion Battery for Pentax | Digital Camera Warehouse)
3. Pentax original $69.00

Thank you in advance.

10-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what camera? The D-Li90 is for the K-7/5/3. The D-Li109 is for the K-r/30/50/500.
10-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Why save $30+- dollars and risk a $1000 camera ?
10-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Why save $30+- dollars and risk a $1000 camera ?
I've never heard of a Pentac dslr ruined because of a third party battery. My experience, ans many others', sugests that there is no significant risk and the off brand battery will probably be just as good as the original.
If I had to guess I'd say most spair batteries sold are not original Pentax.

10-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, be careful! They have similar names, but they won't both fit in your camera. Make sure the battery you are buying is the correct knockoff, that it will fit into your camera. For example, the batteries of the K-r and K-5 are literally different sizes.
Secondly, I have heard complaints about using third party batteries, but I have also heard about good experiences. What is most important is that you buy it from a reputable seller/brand, so you don't get goods that will break down after a month of use. I think a lot of people like the Wasabi batteries. I have never heard of the ones in this thread, but then again, I am no off-brand battery expert.
10-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My maximalpower (I forget which mah) is minimal power. Only use it as backup and it never lasted long even when brand new. Had I known how weak it is, I would have for sure shelled out for a pentax spare.
10-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I`d go for the Wasabi batterys for third party: http://amzn.com/B004U6KIJS

10-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have 6 3rd party batteries (from various brand) and everyone of them works fine... yeah, a lot, but for long trip without power outlet, you need this much.
Look around you can find >2000mAh one for similar price (whether or not you believe their stated mAh value is another story)....
10-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I`d go for the Wasabi batterys for third party: http://amzn.com/B004U6KIJS
+1 for Wasabi batteries. I've used them for years with zero issues.

This 2-pack works for the K-5, K-3, and some other models and costs less than $30 USD. You can still use the Pentax charger but the included Wasabi one is superior IMO. Wasabi uses a folding plug instead of the bulky Pentax cable and also has a 12V car charging plug that's great during road trips. http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_z
10-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In the Q, my MaximalPower batteries outperform the Wasabi slightly; the Pentax is good for about 40% more shots.

As for the K-30 - which is a more critical need for my use, I suggest that the best backup is the Watson (from B&H) which is about 80% of the Pentax original at half the price or less. My DSTEs are probably 40% of the OEM but they provide a good smart charger that is great for travel. The D-Li109 is a challenge because the battery size is so small for dSLR application. I've had very bad experiences with some brands over the years, such as Lenmar and Citra (out of business now?) - as they aren't long lived.
10-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Had to get nosy & check your 'about me' page; for the K-30 definitely cross out any Li90 notes. I see also you're in USA. B&H has the Li109 for $45, sure beats the $69 you quote, and the Watson for $19.95. Amazon has two wasabi plus charger for just over $25, not bad and I've had no issues with the wall-plug chargers.

My personal level of comfort keeps me away from $12 batteries when original is $45; if I find one for just under half the OEM battery I feel more comfortable about its robustness. Nothing but subjective there, but that's me!
10-24-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Third party batteries are generally fine.

I <3 my Wasabi charger. It's a million times better than the stock pentax one for sheer convenience.

The Wasabi batteries are good too. I have 4 of them, purchased at different times. The older 2 outlast the pentax one noticeably. The newer 2 are comparable to the Pentax.

Oh - and I also use them in my wife's Q - they seem to do better than the stock battery there, as well, not that that says much... that thing has abysmal battery life.

And I used to use them in my old Nikon D5100 (after they released one that had the chip that makes nikon cameras think they're legit nikon batteries). Never an issue.

I just wish they sold the front bit of the charger separately so I could get a second one for the Q and the K5 without having to buy 2 more chargers and 4 more batteries. (the base of the charger is the same for most of their batteries. The cradle for the batteries locks into it. So, if I had a couple extras, I could bring 2 charger bases, 2 pairs of cradles, and charge 2 q batteries at once or 2 k5 batteries at once, depending on what I was likely to need.

Last edited by narual; 10-24-2014 at 01:38 PM.
10-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have used a third party battery (cell not made in Japan), it seems to be okay (does not last as long as the original) and the voltage usually drops suddenly when it is close to finish, whereas the original OEM battery will still hold some charges for metering and focusing before it dies. If possible get the ones which says cell made in Japan, assembled in China.
10-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you for all replies, I did not notice that the one was not D-Li109.

I read in this forum positive about Wasabi. However, Amazon does not like to ship it to Australia.

Charger with a car adapter sounds good too. I found one, which is not from Wasabi D LI109 Charger FOR Pentax K R KR K S1 KS1 K 01 K01 K 30 K30 K 50 K 500 Battery | eBay .

It looks like I have to make a decision between MaximalPower (cell made in Japan) and Pentax.
10-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You can get the wasabi from their maker, bluenook.com, but the shipping to Australia is pricey - $26 for 2 batteries and a charger.