Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I was thinking of an automatic diaphragm stopping down without the extra buttons or levers. When shooting with my 1964 SV (in 1964) and ST 55 f/1.8 I never had to stop the lens down to make an exposure because it was automatic. I seem to remember the older cameras needing to be stopped down manually before exposure which darkened the viewfinder. Of course I may have gotten the C Nile Virus!

10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I guess I was thinking of an automatic diaphragm stopping down without the extra buttons or levers. When shooting with my 1964 SV (in 1964) and ST 55 f/1.8 I never had to stop the lens down to make an exposure because it was automatic. I seem to remember the older cameras needing to be stopped down manually before exposure which darkened the viewfinder. Of course I may have gotten the C Nile Virus!
If we're going to '64, both the original Nikon F and Canonflex had been on the market for several years, and I believe both had quick, auto close-open diaphragms from their introduction. My first Pentax, also my first 35mm camera, was a Pentax "S" followed by either a Heiland or Honeywell Pentax which had the pin operated close-open diaphragm system that remained standard on numerous 42mm lens mount cameras for many years.
10-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info.
10-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I can't wait for the W-8

10-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
If we're going to '64, both the original Nikon F and Canonflex had been on the market for several years, and I believe both had quick, auto close-open diaphragms from their introduction.
The Minolta SR-2 introduced in 1958 featured a fully automatic stop-down diaphragm.
10-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surely the next flagship will be a K2 not K4 if Pentax stay with this series naming conventions.
10-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Minolta SR-2 introduced in 1958 featured a fully automatic stop-down diaphragm.
According to Wikipedia, Exacta introduced the external diaphragm mechanism in 1954, and the first internally operated, close/re-open diaphragm mechanism was introduced on the ill-fated Zunow camera of 1958. Truth is, the original Nikon F really established the 35mm SLR as THE camera design.

10-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Apart from being disgusting, that camera would also be the first one to which a lot of people will be allergic to.
Thank you for existing.