Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Pentax K-5IIs?

Im an amateur photographer and I currently own a Pentax K-30 and Ive had almost a year and it is in good working order, but Im wondering if I should jump on the $596 deal on the K-5IIs. So far the 30 has done everything that I could want but there part of me that thinks I should get the k-5 because it would give me more room to expand. Any suggestions on what to do?

10-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Expand into what?
The K-5 is an older camera. Nicer design and ergonomics I grant, but older.
You have the top LCD and a mag alloy body, but the same sensor. What else are you missing that you think the K-5IIs will give you?
10-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #3

I'm not thinking of upgrading from my K-50 but I always wondered if there is a substantial difference between K-50 and K-5.

I wear glasses and it's a bit harder to see the lower part of the viewfinder so the external LCD with shooting info of the K-5 would be something useful for me.

Apart from that, any significant differences?
10-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
The K-5IIs has an external mic jack, lower noise at higher iso, and has the ability for a battery grip and is just a higher tier camera.

10-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

But if they have the same sensor, how can the ISO performance be different?
10-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-30 but I do have the K-50. Noise is very good at high ISO. Are you sure and older camera has better NR?
It's true you can add and external mic and a battery grip, but these don't improve your photography.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-27-2014 at 07:13 PM.
10-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
But if they have the same sensor, how can the ISO performance be different?
Everywhere Ive looked comparing the two cameras, the K-5IIs is always praised for improved low-light performance and better iso handling.
10-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
Im an amateur photographer and I currently own a Pentax K-30 and Ive had almost a year and it is in good working order, but Im wondering if I should jump on the $596 deal on the K-5IIs. So far the 30 has done everything that I could want but there part of me that thinks I should get the k-5 because it would give me more room to expand. Any suggestions on what to do?
QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
I'm not thinking of upgrading from my K-50 but I always wondered if there is a substantial difference between K-50 and K-5.

I wear glasses and it's a bit harder to see the lower part of the viewfinder so the external LCD with shooting info of the K-5 would be something useful for me.

Apart from that, any significant differences?
The K-5 IIs has slightly better image quality (thanks to the 14-bit raw and no AA filter), better build quality, and more high-end controls. However, in the live view department, it's actually a downgrade compared to the K-30/K-50. So, if you guys are looking for a true upgrade, go for the K-3. If live view and video mode aren't a priority, then the K-5 should suffice. At the end the price difference is only $300 thanks to the recent K-3 drop, so hopefully that will make your decision easier

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-27-2014, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have both K-5IIs and K-30, I use them for different stuff.

They have essentially the same sensor, different button layout

Pros of K-5IIs: Tougher magnesium alloy body, shoulder LCD, optional battery grip, longer battery life, dedicated control button/switch for ISO/metering, quieter shutter noise, SR spools up quicker, much better ability to lock focus in low light(the difference is HUGE), wireless IR remote receiver on both the front and back of the camera(which is a big deal if you use the camera with remote frequently), ability to activate mirror lock up with IR remote control, separate AF/AE-L button(only relevant if you want to use back button focus method and still want to lock exposure), 5 User mode instead of 2, ISO80/14bit RAW works great in retaining detail, lack of AA filter does makes a difference(not a significant amount but noticeable). If I want to use a camera in low light or on a tripod this is the camera I would use, more serious occasion for the lack of a better word.

Pros for K-30: The body is lighter in weight and a bit smaller, mostly plastic so it's easier to hold in cold weather , the grip is more comfortable for me, location of the green button works better for metering with old manual lens, focus peaking is very useful if you use manual focus lens, Prime-M engine gives more saturated/punchier JPG also make the camera a bit more responsive(time it takes to apply CA/distortion correction is now negligible), ability to use AA batteries with a battery holder, AA filter is rather weak, 12bit RAW in most cases is not much different from 14bit RAW(files would be smaller). If I want to shoot casually/street, or with manual focus lens this would be my choice of camera.

In everyday use K-30 is more than enough for most people, the major difference you will notice with K-5IIs is the ability to focus in very low light,shutter noise, and SR spool up time, low light AF being the most significant advantage. In your case, unless low light AF is critical for you(it is for me), just keep shooting K-30 and invest the money in lenses or flash.

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 10-27-2014 at 06:50 PM.
10-28-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are happy with the K-30 I say stay with the K-30.
But I agree with Adam that the best upgrade would be a K-3 and from my own experience it's a great upgrade. Atm my K-30 is mostly collecting dust if not my wife takes it out for a shooting. What I like about my K-3 vs K-30 is focus speed, low light shooting, grip, more focus points, top lcd and the best is the dual SD card
10-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
...I currently own a Pentax K-30 and Ive had almost a year and it is in good working order...
But what about lenses? Lenses have a greater difference (I do not know what lenses you already have).