Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looking to upgrade my gear!

Hey guys, I haven't been here in a long while, been just living life and with my trusty K-X also!

However, it has come to a point where my K-X just isn't functioning well enough anymore. It seems to be draining batteries at an alarming rate. Fresh new batteries, whether it's my freshly charged Sanyo Eneloops, Crazy Energizer Titanium doo hickies, random Cosco batteries or some other no names. They just drain within a few hours of use (I tend not to even leave the camera on a lot or use flash).

It is the latest firmware, and I have set the battery setting from AUTO to the respective battery modes. I think I've given up on it, causing too much trouble out on the field, constantly needing to change batteries or flip on or off.

Now down to the matter, Should I jump for this?

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Bundle with 50 f1.8 Lens and Battery Grip 15530 KB The K-3 Bundle with grip and stuff?

I have enough money for it, and maybe it's about time (after 5 years with my K-X). It would be nice to have an autofocus 50mm also.

Can anyone also recommend me lenses that I should have a look at?

I've had my 17-70mm Sigma HSM Macro for as long as I've had my K-X almost. It's given me no problems, my main lens everywhere. On the street and most shooting locations, I almost never touch the 17mm end of things, nor do I zoom all the way to the 70mm. The only thing I dislike about this lens is that it is not as sharp as I would like it at times and I dislike how the Sigma handles colours compared to Pentax lenses.

Suggest me anything! Preferably near this range. (For my side stuff in the 100mm+ I am happy with how the DA 55-300mm handles for my purposes).

Been looking at the DA 15mm, DA 20-40mm, DA 40mm, DA* 50-135mm.

Thanks !

10-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax K-3 is a no brainer. It is a real step forward and the prices are good. Go for it.

You should also consider consider some primes. First what focal length? As you hinted 50mm is a good place to start in my opinion. And there is the plastic-fantastic DA50mm f1.8, excellent value for money. You may also consider some MF lenses.

Importantly, I suggest that you prepare your own road map of lenses. Good glass is good investment. Plan ahead for the next 2-3 years.

Pentax has a super offer of outstanding prime lenses: the FA Ltd series, the DA Ltd pancake series, the DA*55mm and FDA100mm. Some FA* lenses are also well worth to consider. I would therefore suggest a 'roadmap' of Pentax prime lenses,

PS: There are some outstanding 3rd-party primes and i have myself several great 3rd party primes. But let us keep it simple and focus on Pentax for now

In your situation, I would recommend the followings: DA50mm f1.8 for a start to join your new K-3, then DA15mm Ltd, then a 70-85mm prime (FA77 Ltd or DA70mm Ltd), later the FA31mm Ltd.

Hope that the comment will help.

Hope that the suggestion will help.
10-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I shot DA 50mm f/1.8 for a year before buying other lens. Have the K5lls and worked very well and some of my best are from that lens.
K-3 and some of the above lens and your set, just do it you will be glad you did!
(Alot of camera for the money)
10-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The Pentax K-3 is a no brainer. It is a real step forward and the prices are good. Go for it.

You should also consider consider some primes. First what focal length? As you hinted 50mm is a good place to start in my opinion. And there is the plastic-fantastic DA50mm f1.8, excellent value for money. You may also consider some MF lenses.

Importantly, I suggest that you prepare your own road map of lenses. Good glass is good investment. Plan ahead for the next 2-3 years.

Pentax has a super offer of outstanding prime lenses: the FA Ltd series, the DA Ltd pancake series, the DA*55mm and FDA100mm. Some FA* lenses are also well worth to consider. I would therefore suggest a 'roadmap' of Pentax prime lenses,

PS: There are some outstanding 3rd-party primes and i have myself several great 3rd party primes. But let us keep it simple and focus on Pentax for now

In your situation, I would recommend the followings: DA50mm f1.8 for a start to join your new K-3, then DA15mm Ltd, then a 70-85mm prime (FA77 Ltd or DA70mm Ltd), later the FA31mm Ltd.

Hope that the comment will help.

Hope that the suggestion will help.
Thanks a lot! Yeah it does help a lot, been out of the product loop for quite a while now, glad things haven't changed that much. Always wanted a K-7 back then, and now it's already a K-3!

I should definitely prioritize. I think, while I do shoot film sometimes, I don't think it warrants me enough to get a FA lense (but am willing to look at it). I really want a good WR lense, actually, but I really don't think the DA 55* is worth the extra $ just for WR and a bit of a difference in performance from the DA 50 1.8. I am really eyeing the 15mm LTD for one of my earlier additions to my collection. A good call there! Gotta look at some good WR options.

Thanks again!

QuoteOriginally posted by Storm Chaser Quote
I shot DA 50mm f/1.8 for a year before buying other lens. Have the K5lls and worked very well and some of my best are from that lens.
K-3 and some of the above lens and your set, just do it you will be glad you did!
(Alot of camera for the money)
I have never shot prime out side of film cameras. I wonder how it will feel/compete against my zoom! Thanks for the input. I feel that I will be more free with a brand new body finally.

10-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's a great deal! The 50mm fits nicely in your kit and the 20-40 is tempting to me too. 50-135mm renders wonderfully.
10-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd give thumbs up for the DA 35mm Ltd. It is not WR but I just love mine. (I bought it because someone reviewed it as being so sharp it cuts your eyes. - I don't think is quite that sharp!!)
11-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Forum Member

got the DA 15 and 40 though, one for landscape while the other for normal or streets but both just do the tricks

11-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That bundle you are looking at comes with a nice lens already! I would suggest you stick with the lenses you already have for a while, until you master that beast of a camera, and then buy new lenses when you develop new demands
11-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

if into portrait can look at the 50-135 zoom or the da 70 but it all depends on your interest
11-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Hey guys, I haven't been here in a long while, been just living life and with my trusty K-X also!

However, it has come to a point where my K-X just isn't functioning well enough anymore. It seems to be draining batteries at an alarming rate. Fresh new batteries, whether it's my freshly charged Sanyo Eneloops, Crazy Energizer Titanium doo hickies, random Cosco batteries or some other no names. They just drain within a few hours of use (I tend not to even leave the camera on a lot or use flash).

It is the latest firmware, and I have set the battery setting from AUTO to the respective battery modes. I think I've given up on it, causing too much trouble out on the field, constantly needing to change batteries or flip on or off.

Now down to the matter, Should I jump for this?

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body Bundle with 50 f1.8 Lens and Battery Grip 15530 KB The K-3 Bundle with grip and stuff?

I have enough money for it, and maybe it's about time (after 5 years with my K-X). It would be nice to have an autofocus 50mm also.

Can anyone also recommend me lenses that I should have a look at?

I've had my 17-70mm Sigma HSM Macro for as long as I've had my K-X almost. It's given me no problems, my main lens everywhere. On the street and most shooting locations, I almost never touch the 17mm end of things, nor do I zoom all the way to the 70mm. The only thing I dislike about this lens is that it is not as sharp as I would like it at times and I dislike how the Sigma handles colours compared to Pentax lenses.

Suggest me anything! Preferably near this range. (For my side stuff in the 100mm+ I am happy with how the DA 55-300mm handles for my purposes).

Been looking at the DA 15mm, DA 20-40mm, DA 40mm, DA* 50-135mm.

Thanks !
Thanksgiving is coming. My suggestion is to be patient and wait one more month! You will be able to get the best deal in this year or even until next thanksgiving! Since pentax will release FF next year, I strongly believe K3, DA* 50-135mm and DA*16-50mm, DA 15mm, DA 20-40mm will be their cheapest stage at that day.
11-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Forum Member

Da20-40 is a limited zoom doubt it will be cheap
11-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I stepped up to a K-3 from a K-r about 10 months ago. Very worthwhile upgrade. I knew the prices would drop eventually, but I have absolutely zero regrets. Having used this camera for the last 10 months is well worth the $300-$400 more that I payed (did get the grip and lens free). Would do it again.
I too am pleased with the DA55-300. Also very happy with DA 15mm and DA 40mm. Don't own DA20-40 or DA50-135 but am contemplating buying the 20-40. 50-135 seems stellar provided the SDM doesn't fail.
11-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #13
Forum Member

Mike you walk the same path as me except I sandwich k30 in between, sold my 55-300 but got the f*300
11-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There is so many great prime choices with pentax. The two things you need to do are figure out what function you want the lens to serve, then look at lots of photos to see if the lens gives you a look you like!
11-02-2014, 04:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member