Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D - need help please...

Well, so far I'm not a happy K20D owner. I'm using the same lens (Sigma 18-50 EX) as on my K100D Super so its not a lens issue. Quite frankly, the K100D-S never looked this awful.

In no order;

#1. Default color is way too saturated on the K20D even playing with the Custom Image I can't quite get the nice accurate tone the K100D-S gave me. More time is needed with this.

#2 RAW PEF is not recognized in SilkyPix, however, DNG is but it looks awful when you change the WB.

#3 Photo Browser/Lab 3.5 is slow, 3x slower than 3.12.

#4 Yellow cast in 400 ISO (maybe other setting too, I dont know) images indoors, no matter the WB setting (Tungsten or Custom as well).

#5 Playing with the AF Adjustment is all fine but its not giving me any help in finding the 'sweet spot'. Went -9 through +9 settings, different focal lengths seem to change the results. Again, never had a BF/FF issue with any lens on my K100D-S ...why on a flagship camera?

#6 JPG **** (highest) is awful.

Anyone have any ideas? thoughts? before this gets switched for a different manufacturer...

Here are the yellow cast and muddy looking JPG crops;

Last edited by metalfab; 05-17-2008 at 01:18 AM.
05-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please take the time to try another lens, even if it's in a store.
That bottom photo looks worst than the worst Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 photos I've seen

I know that it works fine with your K100D, but your K20D might have some issues with it.

And if it doesn't help see if a store will let you try another K20D. Theres a very small chance that your cameras flawed. However that's a very small chance.
05-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I will leave the other issues up to those more qualified but as for Silkypix, the latest version does indeed work with PEF files from the K20D.

You will need version Version 3.0.19.0 - if you are a registered user you simply download the latest version from Official SILKYPIX page: the best RAW converter for digital images
05-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
All the great results I have seen with the K20D I really hope it is the lens and not the body. Like you said little laker, I'll try another lens at the shop tomorrow. I'll update my findings then.

05-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Before you try another lens, make sure the adjustment for BF/FF is set to zero. It sounds to me like you played with it quite a bit, and if not at zero, it could screw up your try out on any other lens.
05-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Before you try another lens, make sure the adjustment for BF/FF is set to zero. It sounds to me like you played with it quite a bit, and if not at zero, it could screw up your try out on any other lens.
Thanks Flyer, I reset the AF Adjustment just now, I'm off to the shop in a couple of hours.
05-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Update

Well, I went to the shop, tried my K20D with my Sigma 18-50 EX and their DA 18-250 & DA 35. I got home and all images from my camera looked average, the DA 35 did help but, still not the standard I'd expect from a $1300 body. So far it has yet to even come close to what the K100D Super was giving me.

I then put my Sigma EX on their K20D display body, same thing, average IQ. Maybe this lens has issues with the K20D.

One more test I did; my Sigma EX on their K200D, razor sharp, just like my old K100D Super.

On the way home, took more photos quickly with the K20D and Sigma to test and trees, edges on houses are looking like cr*p.

So, I'm stuck. I'm past the return time on my lens. I just bought the K20D. I need a camera for this great weather!

Pondering my choices...
05-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the K200D would be a better choice for you.

Anyway, it would ne nice to get to the bottom of your problems.

Regarding that blurry tree:
- Did you focus on that blurry part of the photo you're showing us?
- AF or MF?
- Shake reduction on or off?
- Which shutter speed and aperture?
- Does the image in the view finder appear sharp?

05-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Why not exchange your obviously defective K20D for another one?

Jas
05-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
As explained in a reply further up I tried another K20D body, it must be the Sigma EX lens and K20D combo at fault. The Sigma works great on the K100D Super and K200D but, not the K20D (tried 2 bodies, same results). I find that odd.

Doesn't matter anymore, I took the K20D back and picked up the K200D. I still have what I was really after; wireless flash, rgb histogram, a few more MP for cropping, etc. etc. ...and I'm still with Pentax I was beginning to sway towards another make and I'm glad I don't have to.

I unpacked the K200D, set it up like my old K100D in the menus, just did a few shots and right off the bat its as good if not slightly better. I'll post some photos later if anything interesting presents itself
05-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The K20D probably has firmware that your Sigma isn't fully integrating with. This is a common problem with third party equipment that is reverse engineered to work with what is available at the time, and no longer works when something new comes along.
I really don't understand why someone using Sigma (or any other third party) equipment would be shooting with a Pentax body. It's not like as if there aren't better bodies for the same or similar price from other camera makers.
05-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I really don't understand why someone using Sigma (or any other third party) equipment would be shooting with a Pentax body. It's not like as if there aren't better bodies for the same or similar price from other camera makers.
If you don't like Pentax then, you are in the wrong forum

Out of the many happy K20D owners out there I am a huge minority. I just happen to have a lens that for some reason, doesn't like the 2 K20D bodies I tried. Instead of moving to another make of camera I chose to stay with a Pentax body and a Sigma lens. Best of both worlds imho.

Last edited by metalfab; 05-17-2008 at 06:20 PM.
05-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The reason why I said to replace the K20D is you also mentioned the DA 18-250 and the DA35 looked unimpressive too.

If you opted for the K200D, no worries then...just I still find it odd that all three lenses gave you unimpressive results on the K20D.

Jason
05-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What you have to remember with the K20D is with it's high resolving capability lenses like the sigma and the tamron aren't sharp enough to show critical detail on a that sensor.

Well the reason the first image is muddy is you shot on a nearly white object and the histogram shows an underexposure so try using levels.

When you shoot indoors and boost the ISO you have a high sensitivity to available light so check your WB.

The tree shot doesn't show me anything beside it may be in the shade compared to the whole image which changes the WB in that area.

Last edited by codiac2600; 05-18-2008 at 09:02 AM.
05-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
What you have to remember with the K20D is with it's high resolving capability lenses like the sigma and the tamron aren't sharp enough to show critical detail on a that sensor.
Not to argue but, you don't think so? The Sigma is razor sharp on the K100D Super and now my new K200D thats without tweaking anything or any sharpening in an application. I don't blame either the K20D or the Sigma lens, I blame the combination of the two.