Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A difference in two "identical" cameras?

It would appear so. I have two Pentax K2000s. As alike as two peas in a pod.... at first glance. Case in point. I recently bought a nice looking Quantaray Tech-10, PF AF, 70-300mm Macro lens with a 1:2 macro magnification. I was really excited when the mailman brought it, but after shooting a dozen or so shots and downloading them, I was sorely disappointed. They looked very soft throughout the focal length range. All the shots were handheld at f:11, ISO 200, AWB, auto-focus with no in-camera adjustments for contrast, saturation, etc. Not wanting the believe the lens was a bust, I decided that I'd give it another try, only this time, I'd use a tripod. I shot another group from basically the same spot as the first test shots. After downloading them.... Same thing! Soft! Soft! Soft!

I was bummed. Nothing on earth can make up for a lens that's soft. I don't care if the contrast is awesome, the saturation is spot-on and everything else is hunky-dory.

This afternoon, I was going through a slew of lenses, shooting tests with them to decide which ones I wanted to keep and which would find a new home. I came to the Quantaray in question and thought.... "Hmmm.... I wonder if it would do any better with the OTHER camera?" So, I hooked it up and went for a stroll. Surprise! Every single shot I took was superb! Sharp as a tack! Contrast is good, saturation is fine and now, I'm a happy camper. All I can figure is the auto focus is off on the first camera. Have you ever heard of this? What can be done about it.... other than manually focusing it all the time? Or.... do you suppose it's just that particular lens that fails to focus properly?

Not long ago, I took the suspect camera to an air show and had a Sigma 28-300mm lens attached. The lens was fairly new and I didn't have much experience with it.... at least not enough to consider it "reliable." The shots from the day all were on the soft side. I thought this odd, because I had shot a few with it on a previous outing and they were razor sharp. I'm beginning to think the one camera is a stinker!

10-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The AF might need adjustment. Look in the camera menus. It's called AF Fine Adjustment on my K-5.

I think the K2000 is pre-liveview. If I'm wrong, though, activate liveview then focus. That uses a different AF mechanism that never needs adjustment.
10-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The AF might need adjustment. Look in the camera menus. It's called AF Fine Adjustment on my K-5.

I think the K2000 is pre-liveview. If I'm wrong, though, activate liveview then focus. That uses a different AF mechanism that never needs adjustment.

I scrolled through the entire menu and could find nothing that would allow me to adjust the auto focus. Hmmm....? Just another reason to buy a K50!

Dewmqan
SW Idaho, USA
10-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

It's the K-m, I believe (another name for the US market), and nope, no live view, at least from what I could gather...

10-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AF fine adjustment on the older Pentax dslr was via the debug utility.
Access to the debug was via a combo of button presses at power up.
Maybe someone who has done it on the K-m will explain how.
( my ist-ds was different access..)
Also you could take a close look at the attachment of the shiny K-mount ring to the plastic body to make sure it is homed properly, screws tight, and not interfered with.
10-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a Km or K2000 and I have never used debug mode, but here is some information.Here are some links on the fine focusing test process. Everyone has a slightly different approach that they like to use. You can use a newspaper or ruler or whatever with the camera on a tripod aimed down at a 45 degree angle, or you can print off some test targets off the web.I have done this with my K5 and a test target that I printed from the web somewhere (I forget). With the K5, I did not need to go into debug sine the body has a menu option for setting the front/back focus adjustment values for each lens. It does take a bit of time for each lens. Here is a target, just print the page....
Hope that helps...

10-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I don't have a Km or K2000 and I have never used debug mode, but here is some information.Here are some links on the fine focusing test process. Everyone has a slightly different approach that they like to use. You can use a newspaper or ruler or whatever with the camera on a tripod aimed down at a 45 degree angle, or you can print off some test targets off the web.I have done this with my K5 and a test target that I printed from the web somewhere (I forget). With the K5, I did not need to go into debug sine the body has a menu option for setting the front/back focus adjustment values for each lens. It does take a bit of time for each lens. Here is a target, just print the page....
Hope that helps...

Thanks for the help. The test sheet will come in very hand for testing this slew of lenses I've got scattered all over my office!

Dewman
SW Idaho, USA